Orioles have signed outfielder Francisco Peguero

Justinlstn

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply
BTW, don't know if this was posted, but here's some Peguero highlights. Bit of annoying music in the background so just mute.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/tNxcEZHaZzM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Like those 3B hits. Hits to all fields.

From Roch

Francisco Peguero is out of options and will be given every chance to make the team, but a healthy Reimold and the addition of Young work against him.

http://www.masnsports.com/school_of_roch/2014/01/kicking-around-some-ideas-about-the-25-man-roster.html

IMO Reimold. Young, and Almanzar are compeating for RH DH. Peguero will be the 4th OF. Much better fielder and base runner.

I would put Pearce in that competition although his chances look pretty slim at this point. I also think it's possible that Reimold and Young could win more than just the RH platoon end of that job. I would not be surprised to see either win the everyday job.
I would. Young hasn't been that effective v RHP. And Reimold may not be 100% for a while if ever. He has a lot of rust to get rid of being inactive as much as he has. He'll have to hit a ton in ST to win a spot on the 25 man let alone the full time DH.

Young pretty much just hasn't been good, period. I'll give you that. However, he looks to be in his best shape in years and I'm theorizing that he's a man on a mission. Remember, this is an overall #1 pick in the draft, a player with top of the charts talent, and he's still just 28 years old. He had the kind of year expected of him in 2010. Then he let himself go and has deteriorated over the last 3 years.

From reading the articles on Reimold, medically speaking he may never be 100%, but baseball wise it sounds to me like he's 100% ready to go and it's just a matter of doing the reps and getting the muscles, used in hitting, built back up.

There's a reason Young has frittered a way his potential. And those things don't change over night. And Reimold is now 30 and if he isn't ever 100% again, then he is not likely to produce on the level people keep hoping for. For me Reimold's ship has sailed. I hope they can pass him through waivers so he can go back to Norfolk and get up to speed.

I'll take Pearce and his ability to get on base and hit with power against RHP over Peguero's raw tools any day, if that's what it comes down to. I guess they could both make the team, if the O's are finally willing to cut bait with Reimold.

If we really needed a fourth outfielder who can play all three spots then I'd take Peguero because of his defense. But because Lough can play all 3 positions, there's no need to carry a traditional fourth outfielder. The O's didn't have a fourth outfielder for most of last season either, because McLouth was capable of backing up CF and RF.

I'll take Pearce and his ability to get on base and hit with power against RHP over Peguero's raw tools any day, if that's what it comes down to. I guess they could both make the team, if the O's are finally willing to cut bait with Reimold.

If we really needed a fourth outfielder who can play all three spots then I'd take Peguero because of his defense. But because Lough can play all 3 positions, there's no need to carry a traditional fourth outfielder. The O's didn't have a fourth outfielder for most of last season either, because McLouth was capable of backing up CF and RF.

Sorry, I meant LHP of course!

Peguero has the upside to be a starting OF for years to come. Pearce is a AAAA role player. They aren't even competing for the same role. The only way Peguero doesn't make the team is if Lough gets bumped to 4th OF by one of Young, Reimold, Pearce, Berry, or Paul. We don't even know if Colvin is on the team. Given their lesser defense I don't see that happening. Those guys are mainly DH possibilities not 4th OF.

Peguero has the upside to be a starting OF for years to come. Pearce is a AAAA role player. They aren't even competing for the same role. The only way Peguero doesn't make the team is if Lough gets bumped to 4th OF by one of Young, Reimold, Pearce, Berry, or Paul. We don't even know if Colvin is on the team. Given their lesser defense I don't see that happening. Those guys are mainly DH possibilities not 4th OF.

I agree with this but you left out a couple of possibilities. 1) Peguero could beat out Lough of the LF job. 2) Urrutia has been working of his fielding and added weight. They said he looked like a different person in mini camp. He could win the LF job.

Sadly they are both AAAA players. Peguero's last full season, his OBP was .297 and has NEVER shown ANY ability to take pitches. He is a hacker in every sense of the word. I am not saying he couldn't be somewhat successful, but the "upside to be a starting OF for years to come" is a stretch.

I agree with this but you left out a couple of possibilities. 1) Peguero could beat out Lough of the LF job. 2) Urrutia has been working of his fielding and added weight. They said he looked like a different person in mini camp. He could win the LF job.
I am saying that it is likely both Lough and Peguero will be on the team. Urrutia if he hits will likely take over for Nick in RF next season. His defense may improve, but Lough and Peguero will have to really stink at the plate for him to supplant them in the OF.

Sadly they are both AAAA players. Peguero's last full season, his OBP was .297 and has NEVER shown ANY ability to take pitches. He is a hacker in every sense of the word. I am not saying he couldn't be somewhat successful, but the "upside to be a starting OF for years to come" is a stretch.
Sure he does. Especially in comparison to Pearce. Will he who knows, but he has all the tools. BTW AJ is a hacker too.

Archived