Per Rosenthal: Balfour (FINALLY) to Orioles...

xian4

1. I'd be content with a "Chris Ray type" as long as it was the Chris Ray of the first two seasons of his career (ERA+'s of 164 and 167 in 2005 and 2006). As you know, he came up through the O's minor-league system.

2. If the O's are willing to spend $7.5 million / season on Balfour, I'm thinking that they might spend a lot more than that on a high-quality starter.

I hope your #2 is right.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Again, the volatility of relievers makes that a bad move. Jim Johnson wasn't established as a closer before he was moved into that role. Many of us believe there shouldn't be any roles at all, but baseball dogma isn't easily changed. You're proof of that.

I don't disagree with this at all but baseball has changed and their are defined roles now. Buck wants a specific guy I am sure.

Again, don't disagree with by committee but realistically it won't happen.

According to Jen Royle per MLBtraderumors, O's have offered 3rd year but Balfour wants vesting option for a FOURTH year. Unbelievable. This just sounds like a guy who is doing everything he can to avoid playing for the O's. I don't see why we are treating him like Mariano Rivera. I would have been pretty psyched with Balfour, but I am ready to pull the plug and make a nice modest offer to Jesse Crain. 3 years is a lot for Balfour and four years, even based on incentives, is too much!

According to Jen Royle per MLBtraderumors, O's have offered 3rd year but Balfour wants vesting option for a FOURTH year. Unbelievable. This just sounds like a guy who is doing everything he can to avoid playing for the O's. I don't see why we are treating him like Mariano Rivera. I would have been pretty psyched with Balfour, but I am ready to pull the plug and make a nice modest offer to Jesse Crain. 3 years is a lot for Balfour and four years, even based on incentives, is too much!

Don't believe everything you read or hear.

Don't believe everything you read or hear.
A couple years ago, she also said we were ready for a deal with Ortiz. If she was a poster here, she'd be on my ignore list.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Source: <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Orioles&src=hash">#Orioles</a> are prepared to make David Ortiz a two-year offer. Hearing there's interest from both sides.</p>— Jen Royle (@Jen_Royle) <a href="

">November 19, 2011</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Yeah. Sounds like he keeps moving the sticks.

A couple years ago, she also said we were ready for a deal with Ortiz. If she was a poster here, she'd be on my ignore list.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Source: <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Orioles&src=hash">#Orioles</a> are prepared to make David Ortiz a two-year offer. Hearing there's interest from both sides.</p>— Jen Royle (@Jen_Royle) <a href="

">November 19, 2011</a></blockquote>

Royle just being a little puppet for his agent, trying to get the Red Sox and anyone else who is interested to up their offer. It is what worthless reporters do in an effort to stay relevant when they have nothing much to say.

Royle just being a little puppet for his agent, trying to get the Red Sox and anyone else who is interested to up their offer. It is what worthless reporters do in an effort to stay relevant when they have nothing much to say.

Well so far she is just as accurate as everyone else with the rumors put out.

This thread is getting as long as the Prince Fielder thread from a couple of years ago. We have gone from wishing for the most sought after player available to wanting a reliever who doesn't have much other interest from other teams.

Well agents are where most "Hot Stove" tips, insider reports, and buzz come from. And most all of it is self serving.

Well agents are where most "Hot Stove" tips, insider reports, and buzz come from. And most all of it is self serving.

I'd have a better chance of believing it if Olney, Kurkjian or Rosenthal were reporting it. Not Royle. We have seen her in action in Baltimore:rolleyestf:

This is nothing really.

The Tex threads were all this long... and there were multiple of them.

Consider that for a moment. Those threads were about a young, locally "grown," All-Star (if not MVP) caliber first baseman in his prime.

This thread is about Grant Balfour.

Am I the only one who shuddered?

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>3 guesses on the sleeper team in the Balfour negotiations, competing with the O's - deal done this week, if anyone cares at this pt <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23uncle&src=hash">#uncle</a></p>— Jim Duquette (@Jim_Duquette) <a href="

">December 16, 2013</a></blockquote>

Archived