Balfour speaks...

MemorialStadKid

It's funny because previously to this event, I had heard the O's tend to try and get around medical opinions.

Perhaps it was more focused on draft picks, but I had heard it sometimes took a lot of effort from the doctor to convince the scouts / gm that "their guy" was a big risk.

• Replies 456
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Where has Rosenthal been the last two seasons talking about Angelos' meddling?

I don't doubt that one of Pete's hand-picked doctors found this issue with Balfour troubling, but it seems to me that they probably tried to do a "Napoli" on this and work out a one-year deal with an option. I don't see how this was handled much differently than Napoli's issue last year. There was speculation that the deal could fall apart, then they worked out a deal.

Rosenthal fails to point out that the Orioles were right about Sele (who they offered to make a 4-year deal shorter) and Burnitz.

I am no Angelos fan. I wish he would sell the team tomorrow. I just don't see how this particular issue is necessarily a bad thing. If Balfour has two great years after this, I will give due credit to all those who have been bashing.

My problem with the piece is the part where he compares the Napoli situation with Balfour's. He states that the Red Sox handled the situation with more confidentiality and thus there was less public rancor over the issue. Basically, Napoli agreed to a shorter term deal based on the physical than was initially offered. I have not seen where the Orioles have betrayed any confidentiality in this situation. They made a counter offer based on the medical reports that Balfour and his camp did not want to sign. Further, most of the "rancor" seems to be coming from Balfour's camp and not the "public".

I gotta agree, Ken looks to be making hay while the sun shines. The only example that he gives that does not look pretty smart is Balfour. And of course we don't know how that plays out.

In fact the examples that are the toughest for the O's are the guys we signed who did nothing. Wada being the best recent example.

It isn't great work, I was questioning his piece on Twitter.

The O's medical staff have not been wrong. He conveniently forgot to mention Sele getting injured three years after he would have signed a four year contract. Instead he harped upon the two good seasons that the O's were willing to sign him to.

What does Ken want? Does he want the O's to ignore their medical staff? Is he calling them incompetent? Is he actually saying that PA has his medical staff lie as a negotiating ploy?

My take is that Ken thinks the O's should have ignored their medical staff's advice. I asked him what team operates that way and he dodged the question.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/ved45">@ved45</a> The question is whether Balfour deserved to flunk his physical. There is always a certain level of risk with any pitcher.</p>— Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) <a href="

">December 23, 2013</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

So are they incompetent or corrupt?

Good question.

His answer to you is anything but straightforward.

Of course there is risk to signing any player especially a pitcher who has had arm problems in the past.

Who is he to question whether or not Balfour "deserved" to "flunk" his physical?

Sounds like someone with a grudge or an agenda.

I like Rosenthal, but he is not giving any real insight to the Balfour situation IMO.

Isn't it pretty normal for a 16-17-18 year old to see spikes in velocity during those years of physical maturation?

Hobgood was 19 and already physically mature. He spent the offseason between his junior and senior seasons getting into shape for the first time in his life. The whole situation smelled bad to me and I said so at the time.

He just tweeted about the piece ago so I replied again.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal">@Ken_Rosenthal</a> So are the O's medical staff, IYO incompetent or corrupt? If they are not either then he failed a valid physical.</p>— (@ved45) <a href="

">December 23, 2013</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Wonder if he will block me?

Where has Rosenthal been the last two seasons talking about Angelos' meddling?

Maybe it was because he wasn't meddling.

But there are reports that Angelos kicked DD out of Duquette's office to have one there himself. Maybe the winning has made him more interested in being involved again.

We'll never know the whole story here, and we won't know whether the O's were right or wrong until the end of the season and we see how good, bad or injured Balfour may be. But Angelos' track record with these kinds of thing speaks for itself.

Isn't it pretty normal for a 16-17-18 year old to see spikes in velocity during those years of physical maturation?
Hobgood was 19 and already physically mature. He spent the offseason between his junior and senior seasons getting into shape for the first time in his life. The whole situation smelled bad to me and I said so at the time.

Josh Hader had a big spike after we signed him. It is possible that a mechanical change can bring that on. Hobgood NEVER showed any of those numbers as a Oriole.

Josh Hader had a big spike after we signed him. It is possible that a mechanical change can bring that on. Hobgood NEVER showed any of those numbers as a Oriole.

A spike after going pro and receiving high level instruction is a different situation.

Hobgood looked like the guy he was a junior with the O's.

Archived