Which dominant pitcher are the Orioles going to acquire?

mdbdotcom

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/MsJnxlXepsY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Maybe this is the time?

YES! I Believe!

I kinds wanna spar with somebody now :D Anybody wanna spar for a few rounds? And... are there any EMTs willing to sit in? I'm kinda old...

I mentioned a possible Wieters and others for Sale trade would help both teams a couple of weeks ago. I didn't see it mentioned here but the Phillies are supposedly one of the teams in on Tanaka. I don't see them bidding more than the Dodgers, Mariners, Yankees or Cubs. If they do get him they will be more inclined to move Lee. I would sign Burnett (if he plays one more year) or Arroyo and trade for Sale. We need two starters IMO and Chen is not going to be ready to start the season it appears and he is only 5 inning pitcher. I've said before I would package him in a deal without hesitation if necessary. There is of course the Dave Wallace factor in all of this. Will he get the pitchers in shape to be able to go longer in games? Arroyo and Sale are friends and work out together in Florida in the off season not too far from our ST headquarters in Sarasota. Arroyo lives near Sarasota. I wonder if he threw for Buck and Wallace when they were in Florida last week?

Sale

Tillman

Burnett or Arroyo

Gonzalez

Norris or Gausman

DD can make this happen. 95 + wins with this rotation. Sales contract is perfect for the Orioles while Lee would require the Phillies to eat a large amount of his annual salary.

I mentioned a possible Wieters and others for Sale trade would help both teams a couple of weeks ago. I didn't see it mentioned here but the Phillies are supposedly one of the teams in on Tanaka. I don't see them bidding more than the Dodgers, Mariners, Yankees or Cubs. If they do get him they will be more inclined to move Lee. I would sign Burnett (if he plays one more year) or Arroyo and trade for Sale. We need two starters IMO and Chen is not going to be ready to start the season it appears and he is only 5 inning pitcher. I've said before I would package him in a deal without hesitation if necessary. There is of course the Dave Wallace factor in all of this. Will he get the pitchers in shape to be able to go longer in games? Arroyo and Sale are friends and work out together in Florida in the off season not too far from our ST headquarters in Sarasota. Arroyo lives near Sarasota. I wonder if he threw for Buck and Wallace when they were in Florida last week?

Sale

Tillman

Burnett or Arroyo

Gonzalez

Norris or Gausman

DD can make this happen. 95 + wins with this rotation. Sales contract is perfect for the Orioles while Lee would require the Phillies to eat a large amount of his annual salary.

Dude Sale is going no where he's cheap and young.

I guess "dominant" is a relative term.
The Orioles' version of "dominant" is likely very different from our own.

So, Arroyo or nobody, probably.

There is no dominant starting pitcher available through free agency, except maybe for Tanaka. Jimenez has the potential to be dominant but is a risk. I don't think Garza is worth it.

Yep, Arroyo, is about as dominant as we can expect.

Sale

Tillman

Burnett or Arroyo

Gonzalez

Norris or Gausman

I know I'm probably in the minority here, but I'd rather keep Manny Machado awhile longer. ;)

I really really want Burnett but I don't think it happens. I could live with Arroyo but I don't think that happens either.

My prediction? The Orioles will acquire Zach Britton from the Norfolk Tides.

I would definitely say "no" to Bronson Arroyo. He might be an innings eater, but he is also a big time fly ball pitcher and in a park like Canden Yards, that is not good. In the last 3 years he has given up 104 gopher balls, including an MLB leading 46 in 2011. This opposed to hitters grounding into only 13 DP's.

Worse yet is that LH hitters own him - .295 AVG / .529 SLG / .856 OPS

If we go the FA route, as opposed to a trade, hope is that A.J. Burnett decides to finish his career with the Orioles.

Some of the responders aren't paying attention to the OP here.

Word is that the O's are continuing to look for a dominant starting pitcher. DD says it, reporters say it, and Brady Anderson says it. We also know that after all the arbitration raises are done, they will be at least $15 million south of the suspected budget limit of $100 million (as implied by DD after trading JJ).

Which pitcher do you think they will acquire, either by free agency or trade? Let's splurge a little and say they'll go up to $20 million for the right arm. "None, because Angelos is too cheap," is not an option.

To help you with your thinking, here's a link to stats for all 2013 qualifying pitchers, ranked in order of ascending ERA.

Have fun, stay positive, and go O's!

Assuming this scenario, where the team can take on $20 mil in salary for a "dominant pitcher", here is my answer: Kris Medlen.

Lee and Hamels are options only if they move some cash with them, as they are both scheduled to make over the $20 mil threshold. Sale is a good point since there are apparently murmurs surrounding him, but his price tag + control send his trade value through the roof. Tanaka is the only FA pitcher that might be considered "dominant" and he is a complete unknown at the ML level.

Atlanta has an embarrassment of riches on the mound. Medlen is the pitcher closest to FA of the young core, scheduled to make $5.8M this year, and likely double that in arb-3 in 2015. He went on a torrid stretch in 2012 and regressed to some sort of mean in 2013; still extremely good but not in the stratosphere.

Unlike David Price (who I'd love to get), Medlen is outside the AL East and I don't know of any animosity between the two teams. The Braves rotation in 2014 would be anchored by Mike Minor and Julio Teharan, and backed up by Brandon Beachy, Alex Wood and Gavin Floyd. Not to mention they could resign Paul Maholm.

Who would they want from the Orioles? Well, Matt Wieters would provide a definite upgrade at catcher where they have Evan Gattis (who admittedly can hit better) and Ryan Doumit. Neither player is best suited defensively for catching. Also, they'll want a young pitcher back who hasn't started his control clock... and a good one too.

Kris Medlen for Matt Wieters and Eduardo Rodriguez. The Braves solidify catcher and move Gattis back to super utility man, while gaining a younger arm for the rotation in 2015. The Orioles get their #1 starter (even though he'd be #3 in Atlanta) and would need to address the C position but at least would no longer be trying to extend him. Heck, maybe the Braves can toss in Gerald Laird or something. Then they take that $20 mil as possible extension money for Medlen.

Preposterous? Maybe. But it fits the description. :thumbsup1:

Some of the responders aren't paying attention to the OP here.

Assuming this scenario, where the team can take on $20 mil in salary for a "dominant pitcher", here is my answer: Kris Medlen.

Lee and Hamels are options only if they move some cash with them, as they are both scheduled to make over the $20 mil threshold. Sale is a good point since there are apparently murmurs surrounding him, but his price tag + control send his trade value through the roof. Tanaka is the only FA pitcher that might be considered "dominant" and he is a complete unknown at the ML level.

Atlanta has an embarrassment of riches on the mound. Medlen is the pitcher closest to FA of the young core, scheduled to make $5.8M this year, and likely double that in arb-3 in 2015. He went on a torrid stretch in 2012 and regressed to some sort of mean in 2013; still extremely good but not in the stratosphere.

Unlike David Price (who I'd love to get), Medlen is outside the AL East and I don't know of any animosity between the two teams. The Braves rotation in 2014 would be anchored by Mike Minor and Julio Teharan, and backed up by Brandon Beachy, Alex Wood and Gavin Floyd. Not to mention they could resign Paul Maholm.

Who would they want from the Orioles? Well, Matt Wieters would provide a definite upgrade at catcher where they have Evan Gattis (who admittedly can hit better) and Ryan Doumit. Neither player is best suited defensively for catching. Also, they'll want a young pitcher back who hasn't started his control clock... and a good one too.

Kris Medlen for Matt Wieters and Eduardo Rodriguez. The Braves solidify catcher and move Gattis back to super utility man, while gaining a younger arm for the rotation in 2015. The Orioles get their #1 starter (even though he'd be #3 in Atlanta) and would need to address the C position but at least would no longer be trying to extend him. Heck, maybe the Braves can toss in Gerald Laird or something. Then they take that $20 mil as possible extension money for Medlen.

Preposterous? Maybe. But it fits the description. :thumbsup1:

I like where you're going with this, but I think Wieters and a lesser prospect (maybe Schoop?) should be enough to land Medlen. And then the question becomes who replaces Wieters behind the plate?

Archived