Source: O's working on Fernando Rodney...

Bazooka Jones

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Or he's lights out for two years. If people thought Rodney was annoying after a save, wait until Balfour rubs it in the Orioles face after a save.

Not gonna lie, before the Balfour deal was cancelled I was getting pretty excited for his intensity on the mound.

That's where I adamantly disagree. If Buck insists on using a single player a closer, then he deserves to be criticized for his inflexibility. There's simply no good reason to put one player in that role. If they don't have a single player who can shut down lefties and righties, then they can play match-ups.

Spending a sizable chunk of their purportedly "small/mid-market" budget on a guy like Rodney is inexcusable, IMO.

Not only is it a bad allocation of resources but by designating one guy as their closer they run into the same problem they created with Johnson. By having him as "the guy" all it did was strengthen his case when it came time for arbitration by showing all the saves he had piled up.

The Orioles would be much better off not being in that position again by either a) trying Hunter to see if he can overcome his problem with LHB, b) moving a guy similar to Johnson like Webb into the role whom for they've already paid or eventually c) trying a somewhat unknown quantity like Stinson or Wright in the role. Any of these would be preferable to spending 5%-10% of our payroll on a reliever.

Not gonna lie, before the Balfour deal was cancelled I was getting pretty excited for his intensity on the mound.

Same here.He would have added some swagger and attitude to the BP. Ithink that would have rubbed off on the rest of the pen. That would have been a good thing.

Maybe some hope Balfours arm explodes to justify the Orioles nixing the deal.

I am not buying that he was hurt in the physical. Something stinks here especially since Tampa signed him and especially after the Orioles let the world know to examine him with a microscope.

I am not buying that he was hurt in the physical. Something stinks here especially since Tampa signed him and especially after the Orioles let the world know to examine him with a microscope.

So what do you think happened? The Orioles agreed to a deal with Balfour and then sabotaged themselves for no reason? That seems more likely to you than the Orioles actually having an issue with his physical?

So what do you think happened? The Orioles agreed to a deal with Balfour and then sabotaged themselves for no reason? That seems more likely to you than the Orioles actually having an issue with his physical?

Angelos happened. They have been pinching pennies ever since.

I find it interesting that Roch's source says talks are heating up while Connolly and Ghirolli's source says the two parties haven't talked in weeks.

I think Britt and Dan spoke to Duquette. Based on recent events, Duquette does not want to give the slightest impression that there is movement toward a deal. He does not want to get burned for the 3rd time this offseason.

Archived