Duquette signs two more international prospects.

33rdst

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One has to be very pleased with the implications for these signings - that the Os are not going to only play in the shallow end of the international player pool, but that we will compete for these mid to upper range signings.

I don't know what FF considers "substantial", but I assume we are talking over $250k and possibly a multiple of that number.

Nice to read that FF is signing the guys he wants (of course we don't hear about the ones he wants that he might not sign). A couple more years of signings like these two plus Peralta and our system is going to take a huge leap forward.

I have to say that between the HSers taken in the draft (Harvey, Hart, Sisco) and these three international major international signings that DD is doing and excellent job of building depth on the ground floor. If we have two or three more years of this type of talent acquisition, we will be well on our way to a top 10 farm system or better IMO. A good job by DD.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>heard good things about o's int'l signs carlos diaz & jomar reyes. reyes comp is young a-rod. both got less than a half-mil</p>— Jon Heyman (@JonHeymanCBS) <a href="

">February 1, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>heard good things about o's int'l signs carlos diaz & jomar reyes. reyes comp is young a-rod. both got less than a half-mil</p>— Jon Heyman (@JonHeymanCBS) <a href="
">February 1, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go on DD! Build us a top 5 system!

Calvin Maduro, Dean Albany, and Kent Qualls

Albany watches every Oriole farm team play ten games and writes reports on every game, and does amateur scouting as well.

Albany says Dylan Bundy is the best high school pitcher he has ever scouted. Bundy is raring to go and Albany

Maduro saw Diaz twice and Reyes once. You have to have a vision of what a player will become.

I asked Maduro how our international scouting has changed. He says to be successful you have to be aggressive and ready to sign quickly before another team acts. Qualls adds that Duquette is very directly involved in all signings. Also Fred Ferreira who has signed 66 major leaguers. Qualls is against having an international draft because he thinks the Orioles have an advantage because they are very aggressive. We are signing about 30 players a year in Latin America.

Interesting that the O's view themselves as more aggressive than most in international scouting.

Calvin Maduro, Dean Albany, and Kent Qualls

Albany watches every Oriole farm team play ten games and writes reports on every game, and does amateur scouting as well.

Albany says Dylan Bundy is the best high school pitcher he has ever scouted. Bundy is raring to go and Albany

Maduro saw Diaz twice and Reyes once. You have to have a vision of what a player will become.

I asked Maduro how our international scouting has changed. He says to be successful you have to be aggressive and ready to sign quickly before another team acts. Qualls adds that Duquette is very directly involved in all signings. Also Fred Ferreira who has signed 66 major leaguers. Qualls is against having an international draft because he thinks the Orioles have an advantage because they are very aggressive. We are signing about 30 players a year in Latin America.

Interesting that the O's view themselves as more aggressive than most in international scouting.

And yet they traded away slot money on multiple occasions last season.

I guess aggressive and frugal is better then just plain frugal.

Actually, to be accurate, he did not increase our payroll to accommodate a closer earning 12 percent of our total payroll. He saved J.J.'s salary from last year but he gave it to Bud Norris.

Yet we're 11m under last year payroll. You cant spin that.

I just wonder why you would waste bandwidth in THIS thread to remind us of that. Brings no added value. WTF does the ML payroll have with two international signings? :confused:

I didn't bring payroll up first.

Archived