Does Jeter's pending retirement raise the price of a JJ Hardy extension?

Frobby

Kudos to 25 Nuggets for pointing out in another thread that if we don't extend Hardy, he could be a Yankee in 2015, taking over for Jeter. :puke:

Assuming the Yankees aren't going to go with someone unproven at short next year, their best options appear to be:

- Sign Stephen Drew now to a multi-year deal.

- Sign Hanley Ramirez, who is a FA after 2014

- Sign JJ Hardy, who is a FA after 2014

If I am JJ Hardy, my asking price for an extension just went up.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Melewski hinted about this yesterday (see below). In answer to the OP question, JJ may decide to test the market, so I wouldn't expect a team friendly deal. Just as the Orioles didn't replace Ripken at shortstop with Manny Alexander but they did with Bordick, the Yankees are going to want a name better than Stephen Drew.

The other question is should the Orioles reverse course and entertain offers on Hardy?

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Guess which team needs a SS when JJ Hardy is set to be a free agent?</p>— Steve Melewski (@masnSteve) <a href="

">February 12, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Let his price go up. We shouldn't be the team that signs him to his next big contract. Let him play out the year and make the QO and hopefully get a pick. Hopefully, by the end of this year we will have been lucky enough to get J.J.'s 4 most productive and healthiest years of his career. If his defense slips at all, he's a drag. One arm injury and he loses almost all his value. Despite not missing time, his shoulder has been "barking" the last couple of years. He might not miss a beat for 3-4 years but I don't want to spend 40M on that gamble.

BTW, Yankee Stadium is not the best place for a mostly RH pull power hitter.

This. I'd let the situation play out. This news has certainly decreased the chances of Hardy giving the Orioles a hometown discount. If the Yankees want him, they will overpay.

Heard the Yanks may now be in on Drew. I have the same impression as El Gordo that Hardy seems to like it here after some rough experiences in MIL and MIN, so maybe there is another discount. I'm not thrilled about paying him Peralta money. Under the current payroll constraints I just don't see us coming anywhere near that. .

With Wieters and Davis possibly/probably leaving after 2015, I think JJ sees the writing on the wall (and the direction this team is headed). Don't think he has enough years left in his career to wait around and see if the O's can develop those comp pics into major league players.

With Wieters and Davis possibly/probably leaving after 2015, I think JJ sees the writing on the wall (and the direction this team is headed). Don't think he has enough years left in his career to wait around and see if the O's can develop those comp pics into major league players.

Right. He also will not have many more opportunities to exploit the free agent market.

Heard the Yanks may now be in on Drew. I have the same impression as El Gordo that Hardy seems to like it here after some rough experiences in MIL and MIN, so maybe there is another discount. I'm not thrilled about paying him Peralta money. Under the current payroll constraints I just don't see us coming anywhere near that. .
What about a 3M raise this year, plus 3/36M, a vesting option for a 4th at 13M with a 3M buyout and a NTC?

JJ is one of my favorite Orioles...but I do not want to make a Brian Roberts-esque mistake. 3 years makes me a bit uncomfortable as if he loses his range or his shoulder becomes more of an issue then he loses his value.

Machado is our SS of the future, at this point I would let Hardy play out the year, extend the QO and take the pick when he walks.

And in my grand scheme master plan, I would move Machado to SS, sign Headley to play 3b and you have a great left side of the infield for years to come. Of course thats a pipe dream as we all know

JJ is one of my favorite Orioles...but I do not want to make a Brian Roberts-esque mistake. 3 years makes me a bit uncomfortable as if he loses his range or his shoulder becomes more of an issue then he loses his value.

Machado is our SS of the future, at this point I would let Hardy play out the year, extend the QO and take the pick when he walks.

And in my grand scheme master plan, I would move Machado to SS, sign Headley to play 3b and you have a great left side of the infield for years to come. Of course thats a pipe dream as we all know

You would end up over paying for the 31-35 years of Chase Headley just like you don't want to do for JJ Hardy. I think Headley from 31 on will likely be poor value given what his free agency price is likely to be. I think his 2012 season was a big outlier in terms of his production and he will not see those numbers again.

Archived