Does Jeter's pending retirement raise the price of a JJ Hardy extension?

Frobby

Actually, this is not a true statement. Take Lough, for example. oWAR 1.0, dWAR 1.3, total WAR 2.7. How's that math working for ya?

The reason is that both oWAR and dWAR contain an adjustment for which position the player plays, and if you added them together you would be counting the positional adjustment twice.

That's fine. I don't agree with how current WAR is calculated. Bill Mazeroski has a fair point I agree with.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That's fine. I don't agree with how current WAR is calculated. Bill Mazeroski has a fair point I agree with.

First of all, it's not Bill Mazeroski making the point. Its some internet dude named "Miller." Second, I don't see that Miller is making any point about how WAR is calculated. He's just looking at how much of a player's WAR came from dWAR.

Whatever. I believe your substantive point is that defense is important, and dWAR is a good measure of overall defense. I'm certainly not taking issue with that, though I don't always agree with how dWAR is determined.

First of all, it's not Bill Mazeroski making the point. Its some internet dude named "Miller." Second, I don't see that Miller is making any point about how WAR is calculated. He's just looking at how much of a player's WAR came from dWAR.

My mistake. I never said he was making any point, rather a fair point of how to measure a defensive play vs offensive player.

I believe your substantive point is that defense is important, and dWAR is a good measure of overall defense. I'm certainly not taking issue with that, though I don't always agree with how dWAR is determined.

You may disagree with how dWar is determined and that's fine. I accept that. My position is with all the greatest pitching and offensive you can have you need a defensive that can hold their own. There has to be a balance.

Look at it from a positive point of view. Jeter's retirement just raised the likelihood of JJ Hardy turning down the QO and returning a 1st round pick to the O's. If we could absolutely count on that (which we can't, of course), I would sign Santana today and consider it a trade of draft choices.

You may disagree with how dWar is determined and that's fine. I accept that. My position is with all the greatest pitching and offensive you can have you need a defensive that can hold their own. There has to be a balance.

I think the Orioles have proved beyond a shadow of a doubt that good defense is extremely valuable. The Orioles of the '60's, '70's and early '80's were built on that, and the improvement of the team since Manny's arrival in August 2012 brought us back to that core principle.

I think the Orioles have proved beyond a shadow of a doubt that good defense is extremely valuable. The Orioles of the '60's, '70's and early '80's were built on that, and the improvement of the team since Manny's arrival in August 2012 brought us back to that core principle.

I think what the O's proved last year is that they can have one of the best defenses in baseball and still finish 3rd. Pitching is so important.

I think what the O's proved last year is that they can have one of the best defenses in baseball and still finish 3rd. Pitching is so important.

I've wondered numerous times what the pitching staff's numbers would have looked like last year if not for that defense. Hurts my head.

I've wondered numerous times what the pitching staff's numbers would have looked like last year if not for that defense. Hurts my head.

It's hard to defend the ball that goes out of the park.

I have a question, not a statement of belief, concerning the notion of putting a good hitting, mediocre fielding player like Sandoval at 3B. I didn't pitch at a level high enough to know the answer. Would having a Sandoval at 3B and Manny at SS, instead of Manny and J.J., force a wholesale change to how pitchers pitch, how catchers call games, what the pitching coach tries to instill, and the kind of pitchers the team tries to develop/acquire. (I understand the notion of developing or acquiring pitchers sometimes seems to be somewhere between a hypothetical and a fantasy.)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

It's hard to defend the ball that goes out of the park.

Do you expect much improvement in that area this year? Other than Hammel, Garcia, and relievers KRod, JJ, and Stop, the big culprits are returning. Hope Wallace can get them to keep the ball in the park more.

Do you expect much improvement in that area this year? Other than Hammel, Garcia, and relievers KRod, JJ, and Stop, the big culprits are returning. Hope Wallace can get them to keep the ball in the park more.

Well, Hammel, Garcia, KRod and Strop did give up 47 bombs in only 236.2 IP, which is pretty terrible. (Leave JJ out of it, he was not very HR prone at all.) So, maybe we can cut back a little by having them off the staff. But all four of our returning starters averaged more than one homer every 9 IP. It would be great if they could cut this down, but I'm not really counting on it.

I think JJ's in season extension with the O's proved his sincerity on this issue. He was in the midst of a monster season and I'm comfortable that he could have scored more marbles as a free agent. More than anyone on this club, including Davis, JJ goes out of his way to say he wants to stay and will do so if a fair deal can be reached. I'm not convinced that JJ is going to shoot for Peralta money in an extension though I agree that he will get a huge deal if he opts to go the free agent route. I'm hoping something gets accomplished with JJ.

I do too. I like JJ.

Archived