Rosenthal says deal done Jimenez (4/$50M - Official)

Greg

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>1 reason <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Orioles&src=hash">#Orioles</a> sacrificed 17th overall pick for Ubaldo was they felt like got 1st-round talents by signing teenagers 1b Carlos Diaz (con)</p>— Joel Sherman (@Joelsherman1) <a href="

">February 18, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>out of Mex, 3b Jomar Reyes out of DR recently. And Balt not done, definitely in on Cruz, Morales, even looking trades for DH-type bat</p>— Joel Sherman (@Joelsherman1) <a href="

• Replies 464
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Oh no doubt, I'm speaking about just the nail biting way in which he pitches sometimes. And just that he had me scared after his first start of the season last year.

Get him past the first two innings and he's golden. If he can get past that under 45 pitches, he'll give you 7+ innings just about every time. He gets better as the game progresses, unlike Chen and Gonzo.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>1 reason <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Orioles&src=hash">#Orioles</a> sacrificed 17th overall pick for Ubaldo was they felt like got 1st-round talents by signing teenagers 1b Carlos Diaz (con)</p>— Joel Sherman (@Joelsherman1) <a href="

Goodness knows you don't want to add too much talent into the system in a single calendar year.

All hell could have broken loose if the O's had added four 1st-round talents that close together.

Every time I see a team use that excuse I think it's stupid.

Goodness knows you don't want to add too much talent into the system in a single calendar year.

All hell could have broken loose if the O's had added four 1st-round talents that close together.

Every time I see a team use that excuse I think it's stupid.

It is stupid; people will still buy it.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>1 reason <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Orioles&src=hash">#Orioles</a> sacrificed 17th overall pick for Ubaldo was they felt like got 1st-round talents by signing teenagers 1b Carlos Diaz (con)</p>? Joel Sherman (@Joelsherman1) <a href="

I think that is kind of a lame rationale. We already signed Diaz, so it's not like giving up the pick allowed us to sign him. You always want more young high ceiling talent no matter how much you think you have already.

I think that is kind of a lame rationale. We already signed Diaz, so it's not like giving up the pick allowed us to sign him. You always want more young high ceiling talent no matter how much you think you have already.

You can't please everyone. So it's best not to try.

Travelin

Yeah, bad rationale, but the real reason is because they think Ubaldo Jimenez can help the team now, there are no other real palatable options out there, and chances of landing a premium prospect at pick 17 are irrelevant to competing in 2014 and trying to maintain fan confidence/interest.

I think the above is probably more accurate, but it's definitely a better team today than it was yesterday.

I see what you guys are saying, but I still like using this rationale. Sorry if that makes me stupid! But it makes me feel better about losing the pick, plain and simple.

Here's why: Ubaldo is really the draft pick, not the international players. Sure, he's a 30 year old draft pick that is only under our control for 4 years and who we pay a crap ton of money.... BUT the O's chose to pick Ubaldo over the #17 pick. And they added some international talent to boot. So here were there two options:

1. #17 pick, 2 international prospects.

2. Ubaldo Jimenez, 2 international prospects.

Either way, you are still adding the same amount of players to your organization.

Also, a few years ago we would not have signed those international prospects at all. We wouldn't even have probably scouted them. So the point is, yeah we give up the pick, but we're still adding talent. Both major and minor league.

Well, it's Jiminez at 4/50 vs (insert other pitching option here not costing a draft pick at whatever cost) and the 17th overall pick at 1.6 MM or so.

I don't think the O's are trying to "convince" anyone of their rationale, I just think they are pointing out the fact that they aren't just ignoring the goal of adding young talent to the organization. It was probably easier for them to swallow the loss of the draft pick knowing they were successful in signing some of these guys. It certainly would suck if the O's didn't sign those guys AND gave up the pick. So they are right to at least point it out and say "look we're not abandoning the scouting and development side of things".

No, they are trying to convince people. And that's fine! Part of the job (a big part) is PR.

But we should all hope that isn't the real reason right? Because that doesn't make sense. The real reason in GM talk would be something like:

It always stinks to lose opportunities to add amateur talent to your system, but in this case we thought the opportunity to add Jimmy to our club was more important to the organization than the opportunity to draft and sign an amateur player in the first round. It's an important decision, and this isn't a tradeoff the organization makes haphazardly. But if the opportunity comes to add the right talent to the 25 man, we aren't going to limit our options at the Major League level .

Why shouldn't they buy it. It is not stupid and makes perfect sense. Im sure they didn't want to give up the pick, but since they

were forced to do so, it helps that they stocked up with some young talent.

You are confusing the decision with the expressed rationale. And actually, you are also proving my point. :)

Archived