Markakis add 15-20 LBs of muscle

Roll Tide

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 pounds of muscle? At 30? In four months?

That would be "amazing".

As I said when this was brought up last week, odds are good he is 20 pounds heavier and a fair portion of it is muscle. It's just a lot more feasible.

It is not like hyperbole is lacking in ST.

15-20, yea it's a lot, but it can be done naturally and what you don't remember being 30 anymore, it was much different then. :)

I do think it is quite possible, but only with very rigorous, balanced workouts and diet. If that amount is true, I lean toward Nick doing it naturally.

Right, which is why his power and speed were in decline before he started getting hurt.

It is within the realm of reason that in prior winters Nick didn't put in the amount of effort we have learned to expect from elite athletes.

I would agree with this, especially over Nick suddenly talking to Arod's people.

Right, which is why his power and speed were in decline before he started getting hurt.

It is within the realm of reason that in prior winters Nick didn't put in the amount of effort we have learned to expect from elite athletes.

Yes he may have been lax in the past, for all WE know... but he was definitely hindered the last two offseasons. And it showed on the field. I expect big things this year. YMMV.

20 pounds of muscle? At 30? In four months?

That would be "amazing".

As I said when this was brought up last week, odds are good he is 20 pounds heavier and a fair portion of it is muscle. It's just a lot more feasible.

It is not like hyperbole is lacking in ST.

Why not Bonds did it at 35.

Sure, but it is idle speculation (though injuries clearly interfered during the winter of 2011-12, following which he had one of his better seasons, interrupted by a broken wrist and then a broken thumb).

Sure, but it is idle speculation (though injuries clearly interfered during the winter of 2011-12, following which he had one of his better seasons, interrupted by a broken wrist and then a broken thumb).

Of course it is idle speculation. Do you have a theory as to why Nick started his statistical decline at such an early age?

Why not Bonds did it at 35.

Really, I am tired of every physical improvement, every statistical anomaly being questioned. I understand, I know it is still going on, but so wish we could just focus on the accomplishments. Maybe someday.

15-20, yea it's a lot, but it can be done naturally and what you don't remember being 30 anymore, it was much different then. :)

I do think it is quite possible, but only with very rigorous, balanced workouts and diet. If that amount is true, I lean toward Nick doing it naturally.

Like I said I think 20 pounds, a good portion of which is muscle, is a lot more likely then 15-20 pounds of lean muscle. 30 isn't 41 but it also isn't 19.

Really, I am tired of every physical improvement, every statistical anomaly being questioned. I understand, I know it is still going on, but so wish we could just focus on the accomplishments. Maybe someday.
10 lbs. in four month I believe. 20 lbs. not likely without help.

Like I said I think 20 pounds, a good portion of which is muscle, is a lot more likely then 15-20 pounds of lean muscle. 30 isn't 41 but it also isn't 19.

I agree. But I also think it is possible through exercise and diet to add anywhere from 15 to 20 pounds of lean muscle. I was more pointing towards how it could be done versus rather it actually occurring. Especially with a player I respect a lot like Nick.

As for it actually happening you already stated the obvious. Spring-training hyperbole.

Of course it is idle speculation. Do you have a theory as to why Nick started his "statistical decline" at such an early age?

I added the "s to your post. His "decline" can be explained by having surgeries in 2012 and 2013. And not being able to do his offseason workouts. That's why he "declined" at his age...

IMO

I used to be really skeptical of these lost X lbs or gained X lbs in the offseason stories, but I do think it's possible to do without using steroids. I spent one summer where I lost 20 pounds getting in shape for rowing, and I have friends who have gained 15-20 pounds of muscle pretty fast. These players have alot at stake with their bodies and all the motivation in the world to improve them. Basically, it is possible to make drastic physical changes over the course of 3 months without PEDs.

Archived