Orioles had face to face meeting with JJ Hardy representative 3-4 days ago regarding extension

xian4

I'm on webbrick's side on this issue. If forced to extend him, I'm offering 2/$20 with an option. I like Hardy, but worry this year will be the beginning of his decline. If Schoop looks very good in the first few months of this year, I'm definitely ready to move on.

And I think BRob's a good comp. He was a risky signing before he hit himself in the head.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Meh. Dan is the one who told the media he was going to work on a JJ extension this spring, thus making it a topic for reporters.

Sure...say you're going to work on it. It's vague, whatever, and it's nice to let the public know that Hardy's contract status is on the FO's mind. Hardy could say exactly the same thing, and just as vague. "We've talked, we'll probably talk more as the spring progresses. Right now my focus is on winning this year blah blah."

Talking in greater detail about how his broader market might develop, and telling the press that he and his agent will be discussing other teams, just isn't necessary. And it's not at all what DD did.

If DD had said "we're looking at all options, including a Hardy extension. Of course, we also have Machado, and there will be several other shortstops on the market next winter," then that would be a different story. But he didn't.

Sure...say you're going to work on it. It's vague, whatever, and it's nice to let the public know that Hardy's contract status is on the FO's mind. Hardy could say exactly the same thing, and just as vague. "We've talked, we'll probably talk more as the spring progresses. Right now my focus is on winning this year blah blah."

Talking in greater detail about how his broader market might develop, and telling the press that he and his agent will be discussing other teams, just isn't necessary. And it's not at all what DD did.

If DD had said "we're looking at all options, including a Hardy extension. Of course, we also have Machado, and there will be several other shortstops on the market next winter," then that would be a different story. But he didn't.

I get what you are saying, but I just don't think it is a big deal.

I'm torn on this. My gut reaction is to want Hardy to re-sign for 3 years and keep the left side of our stellar defense in place. But after thinking about it, it seems the smart move is to move on and go for a lower cost option with some upside and use that money as part of a Davis extension.

I'm torn on this. My gut reaction is to want Hardy to re-sign for 3 years and keep the left side of our stellar defense in place. But after thinking about it, it seems the smart move is to move on and go for a lower cost option with some upside and use that money as part of a Davis extension.

You think Hardy's salary will be that large, as to impact Davis's extension?

So they don't sign Hardy to keep Crush, and they Crush walks too, because salary demand is too high.

Then you really have a pickle then.

Yeah... gotta think the Markakis money is what would go toward signing Davis. Combine Davis' arbitration salary this year with the money saved from Kakes' buyout and you get $25 mil.

Or, Markakis could put up a big year in which case the team picks up his option, and both players hit free agency at the same time.

A lot of guys come off the books after 2015- Wieters, Norris, Chen, O'Day, Hunter, Webb.

Well, we'll be coming off of Back to Back World Championships, so I'd think some of these guys would like to stay around for the three-peat! :beerchug1:

A lot of guys come off the books after 2015- Wieters, Norris, Chen, O'Day, Hunter, Webb.
Well, we'll be coming off of Back to Back World Championships, so I'd think some of these guys would like to stay around for the three-peat! :beerchug1:

We're going to win the A.L. Championship in 2014, and lose in the World Series.

We will win it all in 2015.

In 2016, we'll be going to a three-peat as A.L. Champions, and a repeat as World Champions.

And yes, I agree with your assertion, as I stated in post # 31 that it's possible to have some type of "domino effect" ........ either by signing one major player (Wieters, or Hardy, or Davis), which could make an extension of the other (major players) more attractive and/or by winning pennants and World Series, which would also make it more enticing for players to want to stay around in Oriole-Land, and perhaps sign for a little bit less of what they might command on the open market.

I'm torn on this one like some others. Of course I love Hardy and the stability he has brought to the SS position. But I do worry that an extension on the 12-15/yr range will preclude a Davis signing. Granted, as noted above, Davis might be out the door anyway, but if

that is the case, having an aging, potentially overpaid SS isn't going to make me feel any better about that.

Will be interesting to see how this plays out, no doubt.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>JJ Hardy told me. He plans to meet with his agent tonight to discuss where they go from here with <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Orioles&src=hash">#Orioles</a> $ talks <a href="http://t.co/zoAfmylBwE">http://t.co/zoAfmylBwE</a></p>— Jayson Stark (@jaysonst) <a href="

">February 24, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Archived