2014 Ubaldo Jimenez Today

Il BuonO

I have always thought that Ubaldo was a #4 starter for the O's. I still believe that. Gonzo is #2 and Chen is a #3. Norris is a #5 but is trying to move up. Hot weather will help Ubaldo. He his still throw a lot of pitches and be out of the game on average by 5.2 IP but he will give up fewer runs when its hotter. That my opinion and I am sticking to it.

Fair enough. I'm not big on labels. I though Ubaldo would end up with an ERA of about 4.00 during his four years as an Oriole, and, as you say, average about 5.2 innings per start. If Gonzo and Chen do better, then Ubaldo will be our fourth best.

Ubaldo is a streaky pitcher, both within a game and within a season, so I'm fully expecting to have to ride the ups and downs. He's had a rocky start but he may have other periods where he's dominant. It's just the way he is.

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Fair enough. I'm not big on labels. I though Ubaldo would end up with an ERA of about 4.00 during his four years as an Oriole, and, as you say, average about 5.2 innings per start. If Gonzo and Chen do better, then Ubaldo will be our fourth best.

Ubaldo is a streaky pitcher, both within a game and within a season, so I'm fully expecting to have to ride the ups and downs. He's had a rocky start but he may have other periods where he's dominant. It's just the way he is.

Ubaldo has a 4.45 ERA over the last three years. I take that as the best gauge of what to expect from him. Some have made the point that the O's defense is better than Cleveland's so maybe Ubaldo does better than that. That could happen but its in the noise level in my opinion right now.

I'm going to be contrarian here. I think Ubaldo is looking a little better every time out. Lack of velocity? Pitch f/x says he topped out at 95.4 and hit 94 multiple times. http://www.brooksbaseball.net/pfxVB/pfx.php?s_type=3&sp_type=1&year=2014&month=4&day=25&batterX=&pitchSel=434622&game=gid_2014_04_25_kcamlb_balmlb_1/&prevGame=gid_2014_04_25_kcamlb_balmlb_1/&prevDate=425

I think his start seemed worse than it was because he had a rough first inning, something that has happened a lot this year.

Overall, I wasn't completely satisfied, but I think Ubaldo is headed in the right direction and will be an asset as the season progresses.

In addition he got zero run support last night. If the teams scored 3-4 runs before 7th last night he isn't in the game to give up the second two run inning....just saying

I'm going to be contrarian here. I think Ubaldo is looking a little better every time out. Lack of velocity? Pitch f/x says he topped out at 95.4 and hit 94 multiple times. http://www.brooksbaseball.net/pfxVB/pfx.php?s_type=3&sp_type=1&year=2014&month=4&day=25&batterX=&pitchSel=434622&game=gid_2014_04_25_kcamlb_balmlb_1/&prevGame=gid_2014_04_25_kcamlb_balmlb_1/&prevDate=425

I think his start seemed worse than it was because he had a rough first inning, something that has happened a lot this year.

Overall, I wasn't completely satisfied, but I think Ubaldo is headed in the right direction and will be an asset as the season progresses.

That's encouraging. Thanks for the data.

Yep. Agree with Frobby. Progress. Baby steps, but progress. And he is always bad in March/April: career ERA; 5.23. May 3.89, June 3.17, July 4.11. August 4.28, Sept. 3.47. If he can just keep close to these numbers we'll be alright IMO.

I hate the contract, I hate his mechanics, I hate his walk rate and the way he can't get deep into games. Alright, my negative feelings about Jimenez aside for a moment.

As was noted by El Gordo in the above post he does have an ERA in the month of May of 3.89 and that's in 34 starts. He also does well versus the Twinkies pitching to an ERA of 2.63 and striking out 42 in 40 1/3 over six starts.

Let's go!

Not exactly a cheer, but I feel better if he feels better. Can he talk to Mickey Callaway for some inspiration before he takes the hill?

This is a very important start for Jimenez. It's to the point where he is getting enough starts that he should be in the groove. I was hoping the weather would be a little warmer by now, as most of us do, and also realize he's up on the road against the Twins which are 5th in the MLB in runs scored. Hope he rights the ship tonight.

Unfortunately it's going to be cold in Minnesota tonight... and I think that really effects Ubaldo.

I wish Buck would have pitched him in the first game yesterday, and let Bud throw his 95mph fastball in Minnesota with game time temperature in the 40's

Furthermore Minnesota is a team that likes to take walks, whereas the Pirates are free swingers.

Seems to me a no brainer to pitch Ubaldo against the Pirates and Norris against the Twins.

Do Buck and his pitching coach think about these things?

Unfortunately it's going to be cold in Minnesota tonight... and I think that really effects Ubaldo.

I wish Buck would have pitched him in the first game yesterday, and let Bud throw his 95mph fastball in Minnesota with game time temperature in the 40's

Game time temp is expect to be 54.

Furthermore Minnesota is a team that likes to take walks, whereas the Pirates are free swingers.

Seems to me a no brainer to pitch Ubaldo against the Pirates and Norris against the Twins.

Do Buck and his pitching coach think about these things?

Of course, they do.

In this particular case, Buck mentioned during a previous turn of the rotation that Norris pitches better the closer he stays to his regular turn--I looked up the stats and the roughly linear relation is pretty clear. I don't know what the Jiminez-related reason is, but if I were to guess, considering the fact that not overburdening the bullpen during a doubleheader would be a primary concern (even after the days off, the problem is that we lost the off-day before flying to Minneapolis), I'd be valuing Norris's ability to pitch deeper into the game than Ubaldo. As it turns out, Webb, Matusz, O'Day, and Hunter all pitched twice anyway.

Has Ubaldo pitched in a warm-ish game yet? Seems like he gets the cold days.

yep he has had really crappy weather every start... I think Buck should have moved the finesse guy (Ubaldo) to yesterday's first game (70+ degrees) and let Norris throw his + fastball against the Twins tonight.

In addition the Twins walk rate is considerably higher than the Pirates... and Norris has much better control than Ubaldo.

I'm still thinking that Ubaldo suprises in a positive way tonight.

Can we stop making weather excuses for his poor performances? I'm sure Buck doesn't want to hear another reason as to why our $50 million arm can't get it done.

Big Richard coming through the shower tonight.

o

After 3 awful starts to start the season, Ubaldo Jimenez has showed signs of settling in in his last 2 starts.

In each outing of those last 2 outings, he threw 5 consecutive shutout innings before faltering (in the most recent start, he threw 5 shutout innings from the 2nd through the 6th after having given up 2 runs in the 1st, before faltering in the 7th.)

HOWEVER ...... Jimenez also walked 7 batters in only 11.33 innings pitched in those 2 games, for an average of 1 walk every 1.62 innings.

MINNESOTA TWINS O (MAY 2nd)

Brian Dozier - 2B

Joe Mauer - 1B

Trevor Plouffe - 3B

Chris Colabello - RF

Jason Kubel - LF

Josmil Pinto - DH

Kurt Suzuki - C

Sam Fuld - CF

Eduardo Escobar - SS

Ricky Nolasco - RHP (2-2, 2.67 ERA)

http://www.baseballpress.com/lineups