2014 Ubaldo Jimenez Today

Il BuonO

I feel like Rick Dempsey and I are in the minority here in analyzing his performance last night.

You cannot throw 2-seamers up in the zone at 91 and get away with against the AL EAST. It won't work. 2-seamers flatten out when they aren't located down.

He'll be better though. I expect more groundballs.

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I feel like Rick Dempsey and I are in the minority here in analyzing his performance last night.

You cannot throw 2-seamers up in the zone at 91 and get away with against the AL EAST. It won't work. 2-seamers flatten out when they aren't located down.

He'll be better though. I expect more groundballs.

Lots if pitchers run their 2 seamers on the inside and outside corners. You command the pitch and it can be effective.

Well, that was completely frustrating to watch especially after yesterday. What makes it hard is that he has decent stuff. Reminiscent of someone I don't even want to mention, but I sure hope he figures it out.

IP 4.2

H 8

R 4

BB 5

SO 4

2014 6.75

IP: 4.2

H: 8

R: 4

BB: 5

SO: 4

2014 ERA: 6.75

Pitches: 109 (65 Strikes, 44 Balls)

PITCHES PER INNING

13 (81 Strikes, 51 Balls)

19 (10 Strikes, 91 Balls)

18 (10 Strikes, 81 Balls)

32 (19 Strikes, 13 Balls)

27 (18 Strikes, 91 Balls) *

* Jimenez recorded 2 outs in the 5th inning before departing.

This is why I was so disgusted with the signing when it happened. The chances of him repeating his blistering second half (all against puff opponents) in the AL East was never very good.

...just think, we have 4 more years of this folks.

This is why I was so disgusted with the signing when it happened. The chances of him repeating his blistering second half (all against puff opponents) in the AL East was never very good.

...just think, we have 4 more years of this folks.

To be fair the Red Sox and Yankees can make a lot of pitchers look bad.

But yeah, we're going to need to see something soon or else that contract is going to start looking really foolish.

To be fair the Red Sox and Yankees can make a lot of pitchers look bad.

But yeah, we're going to need to see something soon or else that contract is going to start looking really foolish.

Geez, this place is really overreaction central these days. I'll start panicking at the end of May if he still has a 5-6 ERA but now? How many pitchers have had great seasons which contained back-to-back starts as bad or worse than these?

I'll start: Here are two consecutive starts from Clayton Kershaw's 2011 season (in which he won the NL Cy Young):

June 4 (@ CIN): Clayton Kershaw 6.2 IP, 6 H, 6 ER, 2 BB, 9 K, 1 HR

June 9 (@ COL): Clayton Kershaw 6 IP, 7 H, 6 ER, 3 BB, 6 K, 0 HR

Archived