2014 Miguel Gonzalez Today

Il BuonO

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just started watching the game...did he go back out there after a rain delay? How long was the delay? Also, did he take the beating before AND after the delay, or just after? I only saw Hunter's bomb...

I will reserve criticism of Buck's decision to keep a starter in after the rain delay until I know more...

Chen was good though?

If it weren't for a boneheaded Nelson Cruz play, he likely would have had a quality start. He wasn't great, but he kept us in the game. There were two or three garbage hits that the Sox were lucky to get off Chen. And he will be more likely to do that going forward than Gonzalez.

But Chen is no lock either. And he's an injury risk. Even more reason to get Gausman here.

Just started watching the game...did he go back out there after a rain delay? How long was the delay? Also, did he take the beating before AND after the delay, or just after? I only saw Hunter's bomb...

I will reserve criticism of Buck's decision to keep a starter in after the rain delay until I know more...

Nope, he went right back out. Another stupid move by Buck. When you get a great opportunity to remove a struggling starter as a result of rain, you take advantage. It was a good 20 minute to 30 minute delay.

The game was still winnable if we had gotten out of the inning. Instead Gonzalez (and Buck, by letting him go out there again) buried us by continuing to pitch terribly.

Buck kills us with his misguided confidence in struggling players.

Yes, this was a classic case of meltdown after rain delay. Mig had given up three runs through the first three innings. Started off the 4th with a base hit followed by bunt single. Then the rain came and game was delayed by about 30 minutes. Game resumes, Mig gives up a three run homer to Rajai Davis, followed by a Torii Hunter solo shot.

It was early in the game and Mig had only thrown about 60 pitches, but it is just never a good idea to bring a guy out like that. As it turned out, Mig only got one extra out and Buck still had to bring in Stinson. I understand Buck's thinking but certainly the wrong decision in retrospect (and several people including myself called it on the game thread as soon as Mig came back out).

Bad decision by Buck but Gonzalez was bad before that which really should have made the decision all that much easier.

That's what Buck does. He doesn't even make easy decisions because he's so stubborn. Like the fatal stretch in Arizona last year when any other manager wouldn't have allowed Jim Johnson to blow three straight saves.

34 minutes.

Archived