Reminded of Maier again.

Bahama O's Fan

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From my standpoint, there are a couple of people that are even more nauseating than Maier himself ...... his parents.

I'm sure that most of you know that George Steinbrenner immediately arranged for Maier to have free box seat tickets to the very next game of that A.L.C.S. (Game Two). That day, the commentators on WFAN in New York got his father on the phone. To their credit, Mike and the Mad Dog both confronted him about accepting free box seat tickets to a playoff game for his kid as a "reward" for behavior that would otherwise get you ejected from the game. They asked him, "Mr. Maier, don't you think that it's wrong for your kid to be rewarded for interfering with a crucial play in a post-season game?" Mr. Maier responded by saying "Why can't my kid go to the game ?" Francesca and Russo didn't let his lame answer/excuse get him off the hook. They kept at him: "Mr. Maier, that isn't the point. Your kid can go to the game like everyone else, but why should he be rewarded with free box seat tickets for interfering with a play? Other parents' kids should be able to go to the game. They didn't do anything wrong. Why shouldn't they get free tickets? You're his parent. What exactly are you teaching your kid by accepting this "reward" for interfering with a play in a post-season game?" Mr. Maier simply repeated his nonsensical "Why can't my kid go to the game?"

Not only did Mr. Maier essentially condone what his kid did, he didn't even have the courage to come out and admit it when confronted on the air. To me, he was/is even more of a weasel than his kid.

From my standpoint, there are a couple of people that are even more nauseating than Maier himself ...... his parents.

I'm sure that most of you know that George Steinbrenner immediately arranged for Maier to have free box seat tickets to the very next game of that A.L.C.S. (Game Two). That day, the commentators on WFAN in New York got his father on the phone. To their credit, Mike and the Mad Dog both confronted him about accepting free box seat tickets to a playoff game for his kid as a "reward" for behavior that would otherwise get you ejected from the game. They asked him, "Mr. Maier, don't you think that it's wrong for your kid to be rewarded for interfering with a crucial play in a post-season game?" Mr. Maier responded by saying "Why can't my kid go to the game ?" Francesca and Russo didn't let his lame answer get him off the hook. they kept at him: "Mr. Maier, that isn't the point. Your kid can go to the game like everyone else, but why should he be rewarded with free box seat tickets for interfering with a play? Other parents' kids should be able to go to the game. They didn't do anything wrong. Why shouldn't they get free tickets? You're his parent. What exactly are you teaching your kid by accepting this "reward" for interfering with a play in a post-season game?" Mr. Maier simply repeated his nonsensical "Why can't my kid go to the game?"

Not only did Mr. Maier essentially condone what his kid did, he didn't even have the courage to come out and admit it when confronted on the air. To me, he was even more of a weasel than his kid.

In life, when you run into a butt-wipe, usually, all you have to do is to look to his parents, and you quickly see why.

Yes I'm still bothered by that. I'm also grateful for having grown up in the 60's and 70's watching the truly great Orioles teams. The effect of the past can work both ways can't it?

I am sorry I wasn't meaning to pick on you. It is just my own belief. To be honest

can't even remember the correct year that happened. I am just wanting to keep

my focus on today's team. I apologize if I have offended anyone.

If you don't care, then you shouldn't have any cause to judge (or take an opinion concerning) other people who do take offense to who he is and how he acted (not just as a kid, but in subsequent interviews recounting the event).

He didn't just want the Yankees to win. He interfered directly and substantially in a ML championship series. And he tended to remain an ass about that fact years after it happened.

You don't have an opinion? OK...other people do. So what's your horse doing in this race, exactly?

To me it is not this guy you should be upset at. He was 12. He reacted. As maybe

he shouldn't have. But umpire Garcia saw the plAy. He allowed it to stand. Why

not direct your anger at him? To me O's fans have been pissed at the wrong guy

all these years. As for Maier well maybe he is or isn't a nice guy. It really doesn't

matter to me. If fans want to judge him or not that too doesn't matter to me. I

am speaking for my own belief. IMO

If it was an O's fan, we'd be embarrassed by it. We wouldn't make excuses for him, or worse...claim that his behavior was A-OK.

Are you really sure about that? Some may be and there may have been some

Yankee fans that may have seen after it happened and been embarrassed by it.

The only thing this fellow has ever had is a vestigial of that childhood event. Can we please stop talking to him. He's not a good guy.

I actually know Jeff quite well, that's not the case at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's the "Folk Hero" joined at the hip with Jeter stuff I abhor. More Yankee fans know his name than the names of their starting third-baseman and number three starter. Enough publicity for the fellow. Stop giving him the bully pulpit to continue to enlarge his "brand.' It's like he's a Kardashian.

Maybe he is a closet Kardashian.

Who does? No one taught me that. There's no stadium police checking if it's the kid's first game and telling him not to interfere with balls.

My dad told me to bring a glove in case one is hit my way. That's it. It's beyond ridiculous to think any child would think first of the rules of the baseball game, and second of the desire to catch a ball.

See ball, catch ball. That's all that's happening. That's all that SHOULD be happening.

It's not his fault that he tried to catch the ball. That was an instinctive reaction by a kid, not a premeditated one. It's Garcia's fault for blowing an easy call - it's a minor story if he gets it right.

Being proud of committing interference is a different matter.

You guys don't even know Jeff, but I understand the hatred. I just think it's silly to call him and his family names. Bad taste. He is a cool guy that helped me out a lot for my business.

You guys don't even know Jeff, but I understand the hatred. I just think it's silly to call him and his family names. Bad taste. He is a cool guy that helped me out a lot for my business.

If Kardashian is a name, so be it. Again, I have no problem with what he did when he was 12 any longer. Just since.

Archived