Kevin Gausman Today, 2014.

Bahama O's Fan

Here's my thing about Gausman. The O's need to make sure he learns to be a pitcher (not saying he isn't) because he's going to lose this upper-echelon velocity in a few years. He just will. Ubaldo. Verlander. Lincecum. Who's the last guy you remember that has maintained 96+ as a starting pitcher for his career?

So while it's fun to watch him blow 99 past a guy on a 3-2 count, he's got protect himself later in his career by mastering his offspeed stuff. Just some food for thought.

Who's the last pitcher with stuff like Gausman who didn't leave the O's as a free agent? He seems to be a pretty bright guy when it comes to pitching, so I think he'll do well with the O's. Assuming he stays healthy, by the time his velocity really starts to fall off he will have signed a $250 million deal with the Dodgers or Yankees.

• Replies 459
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think he is already making progress. Have you seen the movement on his fastball lately? He is not just relying on velocity. It's moving and he is hitting spots with it.

Also I like the fact that his primary out pitch is a changeup, which is thought to put less stress on the elbow than the hard slider.

I could not watch the game because I was at a field; scout texted me and said "Gausman throwing 95 with legit two seam action". The stuff is legit.

I got really giddy in his last start against the Red Sox when he had a couple guys on with one out and just dialed it up to around 99 to strike out Napoli and Drew. I know we've just talked how that isn't going to last but in the playoffs you need guys that can simply overmatch hitters when the game is on the line. He's got that ability.

Sending him to the pen would be criminal. If he isn't starting' date=' send him down to work on a slider so he's ready to be a legit front end guy next year.[/quote']

Why would it be criminal. All the Orioles starters in the 70's started in the pen and earned their way in the starting rotation. Seemed to work out well then. If he can't be successful in long relief he isn't going to succeed as a starter.

Why would it be criminal. All the Orioles starters in the 70's started in the pen and earned their way in the starting rotation. Seemed to work out well then. If he can't be successful in long relief he isn't going to succeed as a starter.

I have no problem putting a starter that has fully developed their pitches, and now just needs to become acclimated to the majors and earn their way into the starting rotation, in the bullpen. Kind of like what the Cubs did with Shark.

And if you are telling me that even with just a fastball and change Gausman is one of your 5 best starters, fine. Keep him in the rotation and he can develop it later.

But to take Gausman, who basically has no breaking ball, and not let him get regular starts for the second year in a row, and not get to really work on the pitch he needs to become the TOR starter we hope he will be, is just insane.

Sonny Gray was selected 18th in the 2011 draft and is an ace. The O's got Dylan Bundy

Other notables from 2011:

Gerrit Cole and emerging ace, #1 overall to Pirates

Anthony Rendon, and allstar #6 to the Nats

Javie Baez, #9 to the Cubs, absolutely destroyed the minors and will join the Cubs shortly

George Springser #11 to the Astros, 20 HRs in 1/2 his rookie season,

Jose Fernandez #14 to the Marlins, dominant ace

The O's can't afford Bundy and Gausman to be their latest misses. If they are we are looking at another extended losing season streak starting up in the next year or so.

Why can't we ever develop and ace... heck we can't even draft/develop a decent #2/#2 starting pitcher.

Sonny Gray was selected 18th in the 2011 draft and is an ace. The O's got Dylan Bundy

Gerrit Cole and emerging ace, #1 overall to Pirates who is on the DL

Javie Baez, #9 to the Cubs, absolutely destroyed the minors and will join the Cubs shortly

George Springser #11 to the Astros, 20 HRs in 1/2 his rookie season, while striking out in a third of his plate appearences

Jose Fernandez #14 to the Marlins, guy recovering from TJ surgery

The O's can't afford Bundy and Gausman to be their latest misses. If they are we are looking at another extended losing season streak starting up in the next year or so.

Why can't we ever develop and ace... heck we can't even draft/develop a decent #2/#2 starting pitcher.

Fixed a few things for you.

Gerrit Cole and emerging ace, #1 overall to Pirates

George Springser #11 to the Astros, 20 HRs in 1/2 his rookie season,

Jose Fernandez #14 to the Marlins, dominant ace

I wanted Rendon bad. He fell. At least I get to see him in DC, fun ball player to watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The only thing that was wrong with his start today was that he got unlucky. Outstanding strikeout rate, decent ground ball rate but a .600 BABIP. Look at his FIP and xFIP from his start. When a team is getting as lucky as the A's were today there's not much you can do about it. You could argue that he outpitched Gray but was virtually as unlucky as you can be.

The only thing that was wrong with his start today was that he got unlucky. Outstanding strikeout rate, decent ground ball rate but a .600 BABIP. Look at his FIP and xFIP from his start. When a team is getting as lucky as the A's were today there's not much you can do about it. You could argue that he outpitched Gray but was virtually as unlucky as you can be.

I thought he got hosed with the zone. He hit the catchers mitt without making the catcher move an inch at least 5 times on pitches that were called balls. I think buck mentioned at least 12 borderline pitches. That's a huge difference.

Yes Gausman was unlucky. But argue he outpitched Gray? Come on, really? He had a no hitter into the 5th and struck out 8. Not to mention there were very few hard hit balls. Let's be real here.

I thought he got hosed with the zone. He hit the catchers mitt without making the catcher move an inch at least 5 times on pitches that were called balls. I think buck mentioned at least 12 borderline pitches. That's a huge difference.

It might have thrown off Joseph, too. I didn't much care for his pitch calling today. He doubled up on a CH to Moss after he had a swing and miss. You don't want to give hitters a chance to time pitches, but his command wasn't great either.

The lay off certainly didn't help. I think he'll be much better coming back on regular rest.

Archived