Kevin Gausman Today, 2014.

Bahama O's Fan

• Replies 459
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think the similarities between the two are hype and expectations.

Gausman is more talented for sure.

Piffff. I'm not sure I'm not sure how closely you were following the minor leagues when Towers was drafted, but other than being drafted and being pitchers there are no similarities. Towers was drafted in the 15th round, was a relatively soft tosser in the minors with often intense debate on the board about whether or not he would have ANY success in the majors. He could command his fastball, but his "stuff" was all marginal. Most were surprised at his relative success in his only real year with the O's and positively stunned that he produced one year of an ERA+ of 120 while with the Blue Jays. The rest of his career was below average. There were no realistic expectations that Josh Towers was going to be a successful starting pitcher in the major leagues, much less a top-of-the-rotation pitcher.

Piffff. I'm not sure I'm not sure how closely you were following the minor leagues when Towers was drafted, but other than being drafted and being pitchers there are no similarities. Towers was drafted in the 15th round, was a relatively soft tosser in the minors with often intense debate on the board about whether or not he would have ANY success in the majors. He could command his fastball, but his "stuff" was all marginal. Most were surprised at his relative success in his only real year with the O's and positively stunned that he produced one year of an ERA+ of 120 while with the Blue Jays. The rest of his career was below average. There were no realistic expectations that Josh Towers was going to be a successful starting pitcher in the major leagues, much less a top-of-the-rotation pitcher.

I was on Sun Spot back then, and there was a lot of hype on the kid and how he could be the next Boddicker.

Oh well.

I was on Sun Spot back then, and there was a lot of hype on the kid and how he could be the next Boddicker.

Oh well.

Only after he came up and got off to a hot start (AL rookie pitcher of the month his first full month in the bigs, if I recall). Before he came up, he was lightly regarded. His actual debut came with less fanfare than, say, Brad Bergesen's.

Oh well.

There wasn't on OH. A few people were touting Towers while he was a minor leaguer, but there was a lot of speculation that he would get killed in the majors. Towers shocked some people by throwing a little harder when he was called up than he did in the minors. He was typically in the high '80's in the minors, but was throwing in the low '90's when he was called up.

15th round draft pick throwing in the high '80's does not equal consensus 1st round pick throwing in the high '90's.

Only after he came up and got off to a hot start (AL rookie pitcher of the month his first full month in the bigs, if I recall). Before he came up, he was lightly regarded. His actual debut came with less fanfare than, say, Brad Bergesen's.

Thanks for refreshing my memory.

By the way, the six man rotation idea is dead. From Roch:

Showalter would prefer to stop talking about a six-man rotation. He did, however, provide some insight into why a four-man rotation is really out of the question.

"You think of everything," he said. "Once again, bringing up six man is one of the many regrets I have in my life.

Oh well.

I remember watching several Towers starts in Bowie where he never walked anyone but would give up a fair number of rockets every game. He was a poor-man's Bob Tewksbury.

I remember watching several Towers starts in Bowie where he never walked anyone but would give up a fair number of rockets every game. He was a poor-man's Bob Tewksbury.

98, he was in 5 games in Bowie and only gave up 1 HR, but 99 was a different matter, I see he gave up 26 HRs in 189 innings.

I am sure I was at a couple of games in Bowie in 99, just have no recollections of what they did on the field, other than lose. :)

Thanks for refreshing my memory.

Through his first 12 games, including 8 starts, Towers had a 2.22 ERA. In June 2001, his first full month as a starter, he went 5-1 with a 1.49 ERA and averaged 7 innings per start. That was pretty exciting, while it lasted. He ended the year with a 4.49 ERA and broke a bone punching a wall to cut his season short .

Through his first 12 games, including 8 starts, Towers had a 2.22 ERA. In June 2001, his first full month as a starter, he went 5-1 with a 1.49 ERA and averaged 7 innings per start. That was pretty exciting, while it lasted. He ended the year with a 4.49 ERA and broke a bone punching a wall to cut his season short .

2001 for the Orioles pretty much suxed and not too many highlights, almost losing 100 games that season and Towers in June was something else for sure.

Gausman has looked real good the past 2 starts. I am impressed. I thought he had no business being here, period. I wanted him to develop in Norfolk.

I hope Gausman stays for good and I am wrong. I would never be so happy to be so wrong.

Archived