Face it Folks - The Detroit Tigers Are Simply a Much Superior Team to the Orioles

Old#5fan

o

After starting the season at 27-12, the Tigers have gone 9-19 in their last 28 games:

http://espn.go.com/mlb/team/schedule/_/name/det/detroit-tigers

Believe it or not, the Royals ...... who have won 9 straight games ...... have surpassed the men from Michigan for 1st place in the A.L. Central.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/standings

When all is said and done, the Tigers could very well wind up winning their division by 10-15 games.

HOWEVER ....... it's a loooooooong season, and because of that, things often change numerous times over the course of the 162 games that each team plays every year. We're not even at the halfway point yet, and the Royals have looked dead in the water when they were swept by the Tigers in early May, and now the Missourians look unstoppable. The Tigers looked like world-beaters for the first 39 games of the season, and over the last month, they have looked like a below average team.

I have changed my mind - fear the deadly Royal!:thumbsup1:

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...
Hmmm... is it just me or does anyone else notice that OldFan posts less often when the O's are doing well? :-)

Several posters do that, but I don't think he's quite on the level of some other posters. Oldfan has his flaws, but he's not as bad as some other self-serving trolls out there.

I also don't see the point in this thread bump. Having a better record than Detroit is nice, but the only way it means anything outside of self gratification is if the O's lost the division lead, somebody overtook Detroit for the Central, and it came down to the two of us for one of the Wild Card spots. Outside of that, it doesn't mean much of anything.

I also don't see the point in this thread bump. Having a better record than Detroit is nice, but the only way it means anything outside of self gratification is if the O's lost the division lead, somebody overtook Detroit for the Central, and it came down to the two of us for one of the Wild Card spots. Outside of that, it doesn't mean much of anything.

If Oakland continues to have the best record in baseball, and the Orioles and the Tigers hold on to their divisions, they would play each other in the first round. It would be nice to have homefield advantage.

If Oakland continues to have the best record in baseball, and the Orioles and the Tigers hold on to their divisions, they would play each other in the first round. It would be nice to have homefield advantage.

Are you sure? The Orioles are a much better road team this year.

Are you sure? The Orioles are a much better road team this year.

Historically teams are better at home, you can't use ~50 games to extrapolate much difference.

Someone mentioned Detroit hitters playing well in Oriole Park. Not sure who exactly was being mentioned, but Miguel Cabrera's career OPS is basically identical (956 @ Camden, 963 career). Torii Hunter's is higher (902 @ Camden vs 799 career).

I don't think you can take a lot from any of those splits. There's a lot of noise - when in his career did those at bats occur, vs what quality of pitching, etc.

Not to mention, as far as the Orioles organization is concerned, an extra home playoff game could be worth ~$1M in revenue.

Archived