Face it Folks - The Detroit Tigers Are Simply a Much Superior Team to the Orioles

Old#5fan

See, I don't see them potentially competing with them in any series..

Well, I know nothing is going to change your mind but all three games this series were close. We were winning one of them with two down in the ninth. That's pretty close to "competing" and it wasn't even close to a drumming by any means.

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Now you speak for everyone here and yet I am giving "you" crap. .
I got called on what?

I think I can safely speak for "everyone" thus far who has called you out in this thread on your view that "we took a drubbing" from the Tigers in that series. So, yes.

I do not recant one word I have posted on this thread to you or anyone else. If you don't like it too bad... you can insult me all you want and you will lose trying to bully me.

While I admire your spirit, stubbornly doubling (tripling,quadrupling, etc) down on stupid is hardly an admirable quality.

Please feel free to have the last word. Maybe another Barney Fife analogy. It's been a pleasure.

Well, I know nothing is going to change your mind but all three games this series were close. We were winning one of them with two down in the ninth. That's pretty close to "competing" and it wasn't even close to a drumming by any means.

I agree that was the closest game for 8 innings but they broke it open in the 9th. This one pitch away from winning always bothers me. I guess if you are one pitch from winning and then the opponent goes ahead and scores 7 or 8 runs you were still close to winning and not a drubbing? I just don't see it that way at all.

I agree that was the closest game for 8 innings but they broke it open in the 9th. This one pitch away from winning always bothers me. I guess if you are one pitch from winning and then the opponent goes ahead and scores 7 or 8 runs you were still close to winning and not a drubbing? I just don't see it that way at all.

I wouldn't consider any 4-1 game a drubbing. Especially not one we were leading through 8 2/3 innings.

I think I can safely say for for "everyone" thus far who has called you out in this thread on your view that "we took a drubbing" from the Tigers in that series. So, yes.

While I admire your spirit, stubbornly doubling (tripling,quadrupling, etc) down on stupid is hardly an admirable quality.

Please feel free to have the last word. Maybe another Barney Fife analogy. It's been a pleasure.

Well, I think we had our hats handed to us, drubbing, whatever you want to call it. When you get swept in your own park that is getting owned. I also think the Orioles have won 1 game out of the last 8 against the Tigers? That is also getting owned. The fact the only game we had a half decent chance of winning ended up a 3 run victory is meaningless, as is the fact they needed one more out or strike. The point is we can't compete with Detroit. They own us in series head to head.

And the reason they are not having a "bad" season is they are a superior team. So I rest my case...

I posted this earlier, I'll post it again. If Cabrera, Kinsler, Jackson, and Martinez were all hurt for extended periods of time and Hunter was underperforming, how would they look right now? Probably much worse than our record now.

Our 2 best players have missed a lot of time, came back, and severely undeperformed. Our 3rd most valuable player is now hurt (Wieters), our 4th most valuable player hasn't hit well (Jones), and our 5th most bail able player (Hardy) missed a lot of time and hasn't hit well since he came back.

Have that happen to any team and they'll be hard pressed to be a .500 ball club.

Well, I think we had our hats handed to us, drubbing, whatever you want to call it. When you get swept in your own park that is getting owned. I also think the Orioles have won 1 game out of the last 8 against the Tigers? That is also getting owned. The fact the only game we had a half decent chance of winning ended up a 3 run victory is meaningless, as is the fact they needed one more out or strike. The point is we can't compete with Detroit. They own us in series head to head.

It is a long season. Lots of things can happen. Cabrera could break his leg. Verlander's arm could fall off. The Tigers have had to deal with very little in the way of adversity to their key players as of yet, unlike the Orioles who are in first place with virtually every key contributor not contributing or injured or recuperating from being injured. But in a long season, lots of things can happen. And, even if the Tigers dominate their division, etc., a short series in playoffs or World Series is still a short series where the best team often does not win (see Mets versus Orioles, 1969, for example.) They could win 104 games and then lose to the Orioles in a playoff series easily. But they are an excellent team with a 170 million dollar payroll.

It is a long season. Lots of things can happen. Cabrera could break his leg. Verlander's arm could fall off. The Tigers have had to deal with very little in the way of adversity to their key players as of yet, unlike the Orioles who are in first place with virtually every key contributor not contributing or injured or recuperating from being injured. But in a long season, lots of things can happen. And, even if the Tigers dominate their division, etc., a short series in playoffs or World Series is still a short series where the best team often does not win (see Mets versus Orioles, 1969, for example.) They could win 104 games and then lose to the Orioles in a playoff series easily. But they are an excellent team with a 170 million dollar payroll.

You make a most valid point, but in a tight game they will have the edge every time versus the Orioles with Joe Nathan alone. He has never blown a save to the Orioles.. Tommy Hunter on the other hand is not anyone I would trust in saving a close game against them

You make a most valid point, but in a tight game they will have the edge every time versus the Orioles with Joe Nathan alone. He has never blown a save to the Orioles.. Tommy Hunter on the other hand is not anyone I would trust in saving a close game against them

When we see them again, Tommy won't be the closer, imho. Adjustments, corrections, a baseball season is like life.

When we see them again, Tommy won't be the closer, imho. Adjustments, corrections, a baseball season is like life.

Probably not, but if we don't have someone better than he is in that role we have little chance of seeing them, and I don't know who that guy is. Playoffs are almost always games that come down to closers. and Detroit has a good one and we don't. That is a fact.

Obviously. I already agreed with you that the Detroit looks like a superior well rounded team, it just wasn't the "embarrasingly bad" drubbing you were making it out to be. More frustrating than anything else.

Agreed. We were not dominated. They caught us at a bad time with our hitting. Other than that, we are relatively evenly matched. I give the edge to the Tigers, but only slightly.

Probably not, but if we don't have someone better than he is in that role we have little chance of seeing them, and I don't know who that guy is. Playoffs are almost always games that come down to closers. and Detroit has a good one and we don't. That is a fact.

Boston didn't have that figured out either at this stage of their championship season last year. They went through Hanrahan, Bailey, Tazawa before stumbling on to the best closer on the planet (at least right now) in Uehara. Nobody in baseball predicted he would be Rivera- like as a closer. Perhaps Zach Britton turns into Randy Myers. Or maybe Darren O'Day turns into a cold killer beast if given the role. Who knows? That is what makes it fun.

Boston didn't have that figured out either at this stage of their championship season last year. They went through Hanrahan, Bailey, Tazawa before stumbling on to the best closer on the planet (at least right now) in Uehara. Nobody in baseball predicted he would be Rivera- like as a closer. Perhaps Zach Britton turns into Randy Myers. Or maybe Darren O'Day turns into a cold killer beast if given the role. Who knows? That is what makes it fun.

Another good point, but the problem IMO is none of those bullpen guys you mention seem to have the stamina needed of a closer to pitch night after night with sucess. I mean even Matusz looked like a closer when he fanned Cabrera, but he doesn't have near the stamina.

Archived