Face it Folks - The Detroit Tigers Are Simply a Much Superior Team to the Orioles

Old#5fan

I honestly would have thought it would have been longer. I'm happy for them though. Nothing against the Tigers personally I guess but I want to see them flop after trading for Price and threads like this that made them out to be this big bad bully that we should all fear.
That was the last of 6 games that KC was in first that year before collapsing and finishing last. It was also the year that we went wire-to-wire in first.

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That was the last of 6 games that KC was in first that year before collapsing and finishing last. It was also the year that we went wire-to-wire in 1st.

Right, I knew 97 was our wire to wire year. Didn't know KC had started 1997 that hot. I recall playing them on opening series a lot in those days. One of my fondest memories is going to the second game of '98 or '99 and Cal hitting a Grammy off of I think Glendon Rusch.

Right, I knew 97 was our wire to wire year. Didn't know KC had started 1997 that hot. I recall playing them on opening series a lot in those days. One of my fondest memories is going to the second game of '98 or '99 and Cal hitting a Grammy off of I think Glendon Rusch.
Prior to 1997, you have to go back to May 3, 1983 for another time when both teams were in first after Opening Day. More recently, KC had losing seasons in all but one season from 1994-2012. We had our own 14 straight year losing streak. That's a lot of futility for two clubs who were contenders in the 70s.

Prior to 1997, you have to go back to May 3, 1983 for another time when both teams were in first after Opening Day. More recently, KC had losing seasons in all but one season from 1994-2012. We had our own 14 straight year losing streak. That's a lot of futility for two clubs who were contenders in the 70s.

Yeah Tony I was thinking that it went back to the late 70's and early 80's when both teams were two of the best in the business. Not surprised that before 97, it was 83 which also interestingly was our last division title year before 97.

Just looked at KC's remaining schedule and I think it's a legitimate possibility that the O's will face the Royals in the ALDS:

- A's (3)

- Twins (7)

- Rockies (2)

- Rangers (6)

- Yankees (4)

- Indians (6)

- Tigers (6)

- White Sox (7)

- Red Sox (4)

That's only 13 games against teams over .500, and nearly half are against the Tigers.

Just looked at KC's remaining schedule and I think it's a legitimate possibility that the O's will face the Royals in the ALDS:

- A's (3)

- Twins (7)

- Rockies (2)

- Rangers (6)

- Yankees (4)

- Indians (6)

- Tigers (6)

- White Sox (7)

- Red Sox (4)

That's only 13 games against teams over .500, and nearly half are against the Tigers.

Whereas Detroit has 12 games against winning teams not named KC

CHW 7

CLE 7

KCR 6

MIN 11

NYY 3

PIT 3

SEA 3

SFG 3

Whereas Detroit has 12 games against winning teams not named KC

CHW 7

CLE 7

KCR 6

MIN 11

NYY 3

PIT 3

SEA 3

SFG 3

Eh, those last nine games is like the death march. All three could very well be fighting for a WC. Pitt still has a good shot at the D, although without McCutchen til the 19th that takes a hit.

Add the Pirates to that and we can all dust off our old disco balls!

discosucks2.jpg

(well, not me, I was four years old in 1983)

- A's (3)

- Twins (7)

- Rockies (2)

- Rangers (6)

- Yankees (4)

- Indians (6)

- Tigers (6)

- White Sox (7)

- Red Sox (4)

This reminds of Cleveland last year where they faced all those weak teams to get the wild card

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Add the Pirates to that and we can all dust off our old disco balls!

discosucks2.jpg

(well, not me, I was four years old in 1983)

Ouch, I'm twice as old as you. Hold on, I have to get the ice pack for my back.

Ok, better.

I actually watched Cal play LIVE in the last series we won. I didn't have to dig it up on you tube. Although, I can't remember most of it so you tube is helpful.

The Tigers are relying Miguel Cabrera to hit like Miguel Cabrera. Not that he's having a bad year, but his .308/.366/.509 line is about the same Melky Cabrera's (.318/.374/.480). The Tigers aren't paying Miggy to hit like Melky.

Oh ... and the Tigers owe Verlander $140 million over the next five seasons and Cabrera $270 million over the next nine seasons.

Interesting take.

Interesting take.

The Tigers have spent like drunken sailors over the last five years ago, and now it's coming back to bite them. The Prince Fielder contract was a fiasco and the Tigers had to pay the Rangers $30 mm to take him, and they were fortunate to be able to dump him. I personally think the MCab contract will be OK for the next 5 years or so, but the last 4-5 years will look pretty awful. Verlander is looking like a disaster.

Archived