Face it Folks - The Detroit Tigers Are Simply a Much Superior Team to the Orioles

Old#5fan

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Agreed. We were not dominated. They caught us at a bad time with our hitting. Other than that' date=' we are relatively evenly matched. I give the edge to the Tigers, but only slightly.[/quote']

I disagree. Their rotation is better than ours right now. Verlander, Scherzer, A Sanchez, Smyly, Porcello. That's pretty solid. Their saying Smyly will move back to the BP for the PS but was there anyone who wasn't impressed with him against us? I sure was.

I was least impressed with JV, but he has another gear.

We weren't at our best, but in the long run I don't know if our pitching stands up to them.

Wow! Did you see "the drubbing" we dealt KC tonight? For every one run they scored, we scored two. They simply cannot ever compete with us. We'll have the edge every time. Plus, Britton was lights out as our closer.

Nelson Cruz certainly drubbed them as he alone doubled their run out put. However, our relievers also drubbed them as they were superb and don't believe they even allowed a base runner. To me that is indeed a dominating performance by the bullpen and Cruz.

Britton was lights out and if he could develop the stamina needed to pitch every day could possibly fill the closer void. However, I am highly skeptical that he could do it as last night he was pitching on 3 or four days rest. I doubt he could handle closing games three days in a row..

I like our lineup better than theirs in the long run. Their starting is superior, but that is about all. And we have Buck/a grind it out/tough mentality. I like our makeup better.

I disagree. Their rotation is better than ours right now. Verlander, Scherzer, A Sanchez, Smyly, Porcello. That's pretty solid. Their saying Smyly will move back to the BP for the PS but was there anyone who wasn't impressed with him against us? I sure was.

I was least impressed with JV, but he has another gear.

We weren't at our best, but in the long run I don't know if our pitching stands up to them.

The Tigers have the best Win % in all of MLB.

It shouldn't shock too many people to say that they are better than us, just three over .500.

Fortunately they are not in our division.......we just need to be most concerned about the guys in the East. I think we match up fairly well with most of those teams right now......although Toronto is starting to make me a little nervous.

I like our lineup better than theirs in the long run. Their starting is superior' date=' but that is about all. And we have Buck/a grind it out/tough mentality. I like our makeup better.[/quote']

Some wise old Orioles manager said,"It's all about the pitching."

The Tigers swept the Red Sox.

1-0, 6-1, and 6-2.

The Tigers had 15 hits in tonight's game. The Red Sox had 16 hits in the entire series.

I personally stand by my take that they are the best team in baseball.

They have the best record in baseball.

Proclaiming them the best team in baseball is not exactly going out on a limb and/or a unique stance to take.

They're certainly among the best. They're 3rd in the AL in OPS - but only 6th in runs scored. Right now the difference for the Tigers is pitching. They lead the AL in ERA, WHIP, and Batting Avg. against at .217. Their pitching has been amazing.

The Tribe swept the Tigers, punctuated by a crazy win today.

Max Scherzer gave up 7 runs in 7 innings, but was still in line for the win, because the Tigers pushed across 2 runs in the top of the 8th to go ahead, 9-7.

Joe Nathan blew the save by giving up a 2-run home run in the bottom of the 9th, sending the game into extra frames.

The Tigers scored a run in the top of the 13th, then the Tribe scored 2 in the bottom half, ending the game (and the sweep) in favor of the Ohioans.

After beating up on Weak Sister A.L. East teams (the Orioles and the Red Sox), the Tigers faced some REAL competition in the Cleveland Indians and the Texas Rangers, and have lost 6 out of their last 7 games.

In those 7 games (0-3 vs. the Indians, and 1-3 vs. the Rangers), the Tigers were outscored by a total of 57 to 31.

They can kick the Orioles and the Red Sox around, but nobody ...... and I mean NOBODY pushes the Indians and the Rangers around.

• 4 weeks later...

o

After starting the season at 27-12, the Tigers have gone 9-19 in their last 28 games:

http://espn.go.com/mlb/team/schedule/_/name/det/detroit-tigers

Believe it or not, the Royals ...... who have won 9 straight games ...... have surpassed the men from Michigan for 1st place in the A.L. Central.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/standings

When all is said and done, the Tigers could very well wind up winning their division by 10-15 games.

HOWEVER ....... it's a loooooooong season, and because of that, things often change numerous times over the course of the 162 games that each team plays every year. We're not even at the halfway point yet, and the Royals have looked dead in the water when they were swept by the Tigers in early May, and now the Missourians look unstoppable. The Tigers looked like world-beaters for the first 39 games of the season, and over the last month, they have looked like a below average team.

Archived