I don't ever want to see TJ McFarland in an Orioles uniform again

Three Run Homer

You just knew that the game was over as soon as Buck was forced to put him in the game in the 10th. But seriously...letting the PITCHER get a game winning hit? Paging the Elias bureau...has a pitcher ever gotten a game-winning pinch hit in extra innings?

It's not like TJ McFarland is particularly good in long relief anyway. He was terrible with inherited runners last year, meaning that he can't be counted on to put out the fire if he comes in with runners on base.

Really, what the hell is he doing in the major leagues?

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You just knew that the game was over as soon as Buck was forced to put him in the game in the 10th. But seriously...letting the PITCHER get a game winning hit? Paging the Elias bureau...has a pitcher ever gotten a game-winning pinch hit in extra innings?

It's not like TJ McFarland is particularly good in long relief anyway. He was terrible with inherited runners last year, meaning that he can't be counted on to put out the fire if he comes in with runners on base.

Really, what the hell is he doing in the major leagues?

He needs to be replaced ASAP.

I kind of like McFarland, but you've got to throw strikes to the pitcher. Ridiculous.

Well, you've got to throw strikes to anyone, but especially the pitcher. Obviously Gallardo can handle the bat and that's why he was in there, so even more reason to not get behind.

McFarland has always had middling stuff IMO and he's the perfect guy to send out in favor of getting Johan on the roster. He's a strike thrower and knows how to pitch and can probably help a few of our guys in the process.

Last year, he gave up 83 hits in 74.2 innings. Garbage for a reliever. He pitched in 38 games. That's fewer than 2 IP per appearance. That is not a long reliever! Plus he has now given up Earned Runs in four of his six appearances. His only two appearances without an earned run were one inning appearances. That is not a long reliever. And that is certainly not a major league reliever. Garbage. Is it time that the Eddie Gamboa experiment finally gets a chance in the big leagues?

I agree with the opening comments to the letter. Has Buck's guy TJ ever come into a game and not given up a run? Didn't everyone know it was over when we saw him coming in? Walking Reynolds? Yeah he was hitting everything tonight but putting the winning run on with 2 outs? It's Mark Reynolds. Not Cabrera or Bonds. Why was TJ brought back up? Lough has got to go. Unfortunately itdidn't work out for him in Baltimore. No options left. Maybe DD can get a AA player for him. If we add TJ maybe a AAA player. What's going on with O'Day? He is leaving a lot of pitches over the plate.

What just happened? Britton blows a save and the pitcher smokes a double to win in extra innings, all in the same game? Another one for the Twilight Zone I guess.

Agree with everyone regarding TJ- he seems to be Buck's Ryan Flaherty on the mound which is the only reason he sticks around. Dr Seuss got nothing compare to me. ;)

Doesn't Norfolk have anyone who better we can use? The Blue Jays get hot and start to separate themselves. The birds could be like that, but not with so much dead weight.

Unfortunately, I'm not entirely sure there are many better options at AAA right now. Unless we want to go all in and use Gausman out of the pen for multiple innings at a time, I don't know who would replace macfarland long term.

Meek? He sucked in his multiple appearances and doesn't look any better in Norfolk.

Health bell? Eddie Gamboa? I just don't know who goes for macfarland, especially with Patton now gone as well.

I didn't see the double?

What happened to the old adage for when the game is down to it's last out of:

Keep the ball in front of you to eliminate the game winning double. Did our outfield back up in this situation or were they fooled and over confident by a pitcher batting

Of course Buck broke the time tested rule of never putting the winning run on base.

I didn't see the double?

What happened to the old adage for when the game is down to it's last out of:

Keep the ball in front of you to eliminate the game winning double. Did our outfield back up in this situation or were they fooled and over confident by a pitcher batting

Of course Buck broke the time tested rule of never putting the winning run on base.

There was nothing the outfielders could do it was a liner up against the wall right in the gap and they were pretty deep just couldn't get over fast enough.

Last year, he gave up 83 hits in 74.2 innings. Garbage for a reliever. He pitched in 38 games. That's fewer than 2 IP per appearance. That is not a long reliever!

You are wrong about him not being a long reliever. Taking a look at all the relievers in MLB last year, there are very few who pitched more IP per appearance than McFarland. Anthony Swarzak, who pitched the most innings of any reliever in the majors, averaged exactly 2.0 IP per appearance. McFarland averaged 1.95. So far as I can see, the only other pitcher who threw more than 40 innings last year and averaged more IP per appearance than McFarland was Adam Warren, who averaged 2.16. So, McFarland was 3rd among 160 pitchers who threw at least 40 innings in relief last year.

You are wrong about him not being a long reliever. Taking a look at all the relievers in MLB last year, there are very few who pitched more IP per appearance than McFarland. Anthony Swarzak, who pitched the most innings of any reliever in the majors, averaged exactly 2.0 IP per appearance. McFarland averaged 1.95. So far as I can see, the only other pitcher who threw more than 40 innings last year and averaged more IP per appearance than McFarland was Adam Warren, who averaged 2.16. So, McFarland was 3rd among 160 pitchers who threw at least 40 innings in relief last year.

Yep, and McFarland pitched 2 innings or more in over half of his appearances last year (23 of 38). He was clearly the Birds' long reliever last year.

yes but my point is in over half of those "long relief appearances" of at least two innings he has given up at least a run (that is true for last year and this year). Also, because he gives up way too many hits -- and the goal of the long man and mop up guy is to keep the game within reach and not give up runs and give the offense a chance to scratch their way back into things -- Buck took him out well before that two inning plateau. His hits/innings pitched are way too high. He expect a long reliever to hopefulyl go 1 time through the lineup. That gets you to 2+ innings. He gave up too many hits and couldn't do that. And by the way, for a left, he can't get lefties out.

Archived