Zrebiec: Other teams in the mix

JCK

I have absolutely no problem with MacPhail keeping Angelos in the loop. Those quotes at the article imply nothing out of the ordinary. The guy is ultimately the owner of the team - he should be in the loop. Now he shouldn't be overruling AM's judgement on prospects or the quantative value of the trade, but he most certainly should be knowing what's going on. And honestly, we have no evidence to suggest that AM hasn't been able to get in touch with PA as necessary. Unless you've been checking AM's phone logs, I feel that's just fuel to the fire, or past rumors being rehashed.

So Angelos nixing deals - I'll be annoyed. MacPhail keeping Angelos informed of the status - no problem at all.

And even better... you want Angelos in the loop. "Here's where we stand on the Bedard trade today, Peter." Much better than to not talk to him for weeks, then dump the final trade in his lap out of the blue. ;)

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
And even better... you want Angelos in the loop. "Here's where we stand on the Bedard trade today, Peter." Much better than to not talk to him for weeks, then dump the final trade in his lap out of the blue. ;)

I agree. AM is in the business of persuading people. PA is just one of the guys he needs to persuade. That's true of any GM who's dishing the team's best players. Nothing special about it. Nothing wrong with it. It only makes sense.

I'm with those who are confused with what this article is trying to say: it says that new teams are in the mix but then lists all the teams that dropped out. So which is it? It just seems like smoke signals.

IMO, the Reds would be insane in the membrane to trade us Jay Bruce for Erik Bedard, even straight up. Dunn and Griffey won't be around forever.

Maybe they don't know anything yet, or maybe they were asked to keep it off the record (I'm going with the latter), but that's par for the course with a lot of these stories: no real details.

The Scouting reports are that high on Maloney... I suggested him early on & was told that. I still like the deal though. I really think today is the day for the move to the M's.

Maloney is an interesting prospect, but not necessarily one that warrants a 'high' rating as a prospect. He has potential, and is a guy that has performed well so far, albeit as a crafty lefty, not a big 'stuff' guy. He typically pitches in the upper 80's, topping out around 91. He lacks front of the rotation projection, but could surprise. Many have shown throughout the years that you can pitch effectively in the high 80's at the ML level. Just my view, but I'd prefer to look elsewhere in reagrds to a Cincy deal.

I've heard a lot of mixed things from fans from Seattle and Cincinatti. Some want Bedard, others don't think he's worth the effort. I've read posts from Seattle fans who wouldn't trade Bedard for Jones straight up, and others who would trade away their entire farms system.

My question is: Fans of other teams, who wants Bedard? Do you think your team has a shot of getting him? Current O's fans, do you have links to other team's message boards that might convey answers to this question.

What about Roberts or any other Orioles players? I remember at the Cubs fanfest, fans were complaining about keeping DeRosa and not trading their young players for Roberts. Who wants to shop at BirdMart?

I've heard a lot of mixed things from fans from Seattle and Cincinatti. Some want Bedard, others don't think he's worth the effort. I've read posts from Seattle fans who wouldn't trade Bedard for Jones straight up, and others who would trade away their entire farms system.

My question is: Fans of other teams, who wants Bedard? Do you think your team has a shot of getting him? Current O's fans, do you have links to other team's message boards that might convey answers to this question.

What about Roberts or any other Orioles players? I remember at the Cubs fanfest, fans were complaining about keeping DeRosa and not trading their young players for Roberts. Who wants to shop at BirdMart?

You may want to ask other team's FO instead of the fans, they tend to have a little more say :)

The only other team besides the Mariners i can see working is the Cardinals (Colby Rasmus 4 life)... but if I were the Cardinals, I wouldn't try to win this year, with Cubs/Brewers/Astros in the same division.

That whole division is filled with idiot GMs tho (outside of Milwaukee) so anything could happen.

The only other team besides the Mariners i can see working is the Cardinals (Colby Rasmus 4 life)... but if I were the Cardinals, I wouldn't try to win this year, with Cubs/Brewers/Astros in the same division.

That whole division is filled with idiot GMs tho (outside of Milwaukee) so anything could happen.

Cardinals wouldn't work, they have no reason to trade Rasmus-who's an absolute stud, they have so much wrong, they need a lot more

And Milwaukee's GM isn't an idiot?...why's that?

As a Cub fan, I'd rather see the Cubbies go after Bedard and pass on Roberts. Not that I don't like Roberts, but the Cubs need an upgrade at SS more than they need to upgrade 2B and Bedard would give them an excellent NL rotation (provided Hill stays).

1. Bedard

2. Hill

3. Zambrano (I think he's been declining for 2 years now, and Hill will be the best starter next season)

4. Lilly

5. Lieber/Gallagher/Marshall/Marquis

I give up Pie and stack the Cub prospects up like chordwood to get Bedard. I wouldn't give up 4 years of Hill for 2 years of Bedard, though.

I've seen both Pie and Jones, and while I like Pie and think he'll eventually be a good CF, Jones is more of a sure thing. So I were the O's, I'd prefer the Mariner centerpiece offer to Pie.

Cardinals wouldn't work, they have no reason to trade Rasmus-who's an absolute stud, they have so much wrong, they need a lot more

And Milwaukee's GM isn't an idiot?...why's that?

As Migrant Redbird will I'm sure chime in today sometime, the Cards will be better suited to get the young kids up and playing, Rasmus, Barton, Ankiel, if Mulder comes back healthy, deal him at the deadline, along with Duncan (might be tough) and retool to take the division in a year or two.

Archived