Embarrassed by Camden faithful- they boo Jim Johnson.

Rojo13

He may have cost us the playoffs against the Yankees, but I think it's in pretty poor taste to boo the guy when he comes back. He deserves better.

I was at the game and really didn't hear any boos. "Smattering" is the absolute most I'd say. The vast majority of fans treated JJ just fine.

I feel bad for him. His body language on the mound showed he's not confident at all right now. It was a far cry from what he used to project. I hope he pulls it together, because he's a classy, stand-up guy.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I was at the game and really didn't hear any boos. "Smattering" is the absolute most I'd say. The vast majority of fans treated JJ just fine.

I feel bad for him. His body language on the mound showed he's not confident at all right now. It was a far cry from what he used to project. I hope he pulls it together, because he's a classy, stand-up guy.

I'd bet he wished he could dig a hole and jump in it and hide after Lough took him deep.

In a matter of two years, Jim Johnson has fallen from all-star closer all the way to mop up long reliever serving up two-run homers to David Lough. He's still making 10 mil though, so I don't feel too bad for him.

We did offer to extend him.

It's good to hear that the booing thing is probably a little blown out of proportion. I feel bad for him too. I know he is rich and probably will never have another financial worry for the rest of his life, but he was a part of our family for a long time and he is a good man, and it is tough to see him like this.

Why feel bad for him? He's a $10m "closer" who can't close. His club doesn't want him and are willing to pay his salary to get rid of him. He's David Justice for the A's.

Being class and stand-up guy doesn't matter. It's what you do on the mound in his case. He clearly shows he was a fluke in 2012 when O's really had to try to lose games and when the pressure got amped up in 2013 he fold like a cheap chair every time.

That's a real scumbag move to kick Johnson while he's down. I don't care if he's overpaid, I don't care if he blew games for us. It's one thing to say you don't want him to be the closer, or that you're glad we trading him, or that you don't want him back. But he's always been a nice guy, a good teammate, and had a good run as an extremely effective reliever for our team.

As far as I could tell he was always giving 100% and worked very, very hard. Johnson was never a prospect of any regard, he just pitched his way up the ladder in the organization when we had no real pitching prospects at all, got his shot at the major league level, and ran with it. He started off as a long reliever and just kept getting guys out until he became the closer. I have a ton of respect for the man, and anybody who calls themselves an Orioles fan should as well.

He clearly shows he was a fluke in 2012 when O's really had to try to lose games and when the pressure got amped up in 2013 he fold like a cheap chair every time.
Yeah, clearly there was absolutely no pressure in the 50 games he did save as closer last year. After all, you said he folded every time there was pressure.

I felt bad for him in a way, coming back tonight, and failing here. Not that I minded that he helped us add to our lead, but I wouldn't have wanted to be him out there in those circumstances.

Yeah, clearly there was absolutely no pressure in the 50 games he did save as closer last year. After all, you said he folded every time there was pressure.

I felt bad for him in a way, coming back tonight, and failing here. Not that I minded that he helped us add to our lead, but I wouldn't have wanted to be him out there in those circumstances.

I clearly said when pressure got amped up in 2013. Getting 50 saves doesn't mean you a good closer. Pressure is coming in with a 1 run lead. You are good closer when you can shut it down with a 1 run lead. Something Johnson couldn't do last year. 8 of 9 blown saves were when he came in with a 1 run lead.

It's also those kinds of losses that causes problems for team morale.

He's out there in those circumstances because he's lost the plot.

This isn't the little leagues. You get booed for poor performances, every athlete knows that. The guy is lucky he doesn't have a real career, than being "booed" would be pretty minor.

Personally I'm tired of the pussification sports.

At the end of the day I doubt he cared, he's a man(though recently that seems to mean less and less), he financially more successful than 99% of the fans, and probably has heard it all before.

Compared to what he hears in Oakland, anywhere else he plays and potentially gets booed will be pretty minor.

I think the x-boxing of American sports is a much bigger problem then the "pussification". I think the only things worthy of being booed is poor effort, stupidity and being an a-hole. The x boxing has caused a bunch of "fans" that never were good at anything, judging failures by absolute elite athletes. JJ has lost something and he is not doing well but his effort still deserves respect. If you had ever competed beyond little kid ball you might understand that. The zero sum nature of big time sports will end his career soon enough and at least in Baltimore he deserves the fond memories of the extremely productive time he had for us.

Yea you have the right to get your rocks off booing him, but at least he will have to live with the knowledge that he was better at something than you will ever be at anything. He earned the respect of the fans in Baltimore. Booing hims is something that the pink hats would do. In the dark years I really hoped that we would be immune to the pink hats but more and more of them show up every day.

Climbs off soap box.

Why feel bad for him? He's a $10m "closer" who can't close. His club doesn't want him and are willing to pay his salary to get rid of him. He's David Justice for the A's.

Being class and stand-up guy doesn't matter. It's what you do on the mound in his case. He clearly shows he was a fluke in 2012 when O's really had to try to lose games and when the pressure got amped up in 2013 he fold like a cheap chair every time.

One of the lowest class posts I've read in a long time.

Why feel bad for him? Because he's a human being.

Archived