Last-minute attempt by O's to sign ace holding up trade

birdsfan4ever

You aren't a bad guy and I've got nothing against you, but come on man. You have to admit you've been acting like a caricature. I'm honestly worried about your health. On the bright side, you definitely aren't alone and you do have a very pleasant, good natured way of freaking out. ;)

By the way, I apologize for snapping at you like that. It's been a rough week for all of us.

And yes, I'm sure my blood pressure is sky high. :D

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If at some point during that 5 year contract we could be a competing team without trading Bedard it would make perfect sense to sign him. The big problem is, we still have too many holes and no way to fill them without trades, so signing Bedard gives us an ace for a losing team.

If Angelos is delaying this thing in hopes he can extend Bedard, that's not a cardinal sin in my book.

My preference is to deal Bedard and Roberts for good prospects. But I'm not going to blast PA for trying to extend Bedard. Heck, I wish he'd have been that proactive with Mussina.

Again, it's not my preference, but I think it's worlds away from nixing the deal and goofing around until Bedard stays without any extension.

I think that Bedard staying or leaving the Orioles depends on the plan. If you are going to spend $14 Million on Bedard, $20 Million on Teixeira, plus two more contracts in the 4 year-$45 Million range then by all means lock the guy up. Be advised that we still need a CF, SS, 3B, 1B, CL, 2 RP, and at least one more veteran SP. The Mariners gave Carlos Silva a 4 year-$48 Million dollar deal, so what is the issue with giving Bedard $14-15 Million over 6 years? We know how the Orioles work, "Tejada come to Baltimore, we will build around you". I guess building around Tejada means signing Gibbons, Huff, and Mora.

We should trade Bedard to the M's for Jones, Tillman, Sherrill, Butler, and Mickolio. We should be thankful to get such a deal considering what the Twins just got for Santana. We should trade Roberts to the Cubs for Pie, Gallagher, and Cedeno. We should spin an outfielder to the Padres for their minor league 2B and maybe another position player. Now Bedard money is used to land Teixeira. I think Bedard is good, but he only pitches every fifth day. With Bedard we are 20 games below .500, without him we are 35. Is there really a difference in what place we finish?

No worries. My original post read rougher than I intended when I re-read it. My apologies right back. BTW, if I'd followed my cardinal rule and read the remainder of the thread PRIOR to commenting, I would have seen that you and Shack patched things up less than a page later and I wouldn't have written a thing. So, I blame myself. And Tejada, of course :D

I still blame Jack Cust. ;)

Archived