You Mean To Tell Me That We Can't Do Better Than Flaherty?

WNY Orioles Fan

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Oh, and I also think that we can do better than Flaherty.
It wouldn't make a bit of difference overall if you could do better. The impact of any UTIF is marginal. Just doesn't get enough PA. And there is no upgrade currently in the system. If you want to upgrade the offense trade for a real 2B, option Flaherty and let Schoop be the UTIF. His D at 3B and SS wouldn't be as good but his bat might be a tad better.

1. In 22 games in the month of June, Ichiro has started 16 of them. And he's played in all but one of the others. To me that says that most days you'll see Ichiro in the lineup for the NYY.

In fact, if you break it down.

April - 10/26 games started - 38% .791 OPS

May - 11/28 games started - 39% .721 OPS

June - 16/22 games started - 73% .638 OPS

You can clearly see that it's no fault of Ichiro's that Girardi didn't give him more PA early. Those splits show me that Girardi was planning on using him as a part time backup OF, and then sometime around May-June (appears to be about when Beltran got hurt) something clicked and all of a sudden Ichiro is playing basically every day. So I guess you're right that he hasn't been a regular all year long, but I would say that he has been playing well enough to play more......but he doesn't make the lineups.

2. As a left handed hitter, have you seen how he's doing in that small sample size against lefties?

He is outhitting guys on the Yankees that have more PA than him (Beltran, Soriano, and of course their abysmal middle infield), so I think Girardi will be forced to use him more as the season progresses.

I hope you're right, and they continue to play him every single day. Right into the ground.

I saw he was like 17-for-33 against lefties, or something. That's cool in a circus sideshow kind of way, but otherwise meaningless.

I hope you're right, and they continue to play him every single day. Right into the ground.

I saw he was like 17-for-33 against lefties, or something. That's cool in a circus sideshow kind of way, but otherwise meaningless.

Ichiro used to have reverse splits against lefties as i recall. Not .515 BA splits of course.

Ichiro used to have reverse splits against lefties as i recall. Not .515 BA splits of course.

0.015 OPS points over his MLB career.

It's an open question whether that's skill, or the fact that over any large population you'll have a few reverse splits from players with natural platoon skills just by luck...

None? Really?

Shouldn't you have production expectations for every roster spot?

Of course you shouldn't have zero expectations. That is ridiculous and you know very well that is not what I meant.

You certainly shouldn't be looking at them as candidates to pinch hit, unless the pitcher has extreme platoon splits.

And I will state again that you shouldn't have offensive expectations for the backup SS/CF/C.

Well, there are backup outfielders in MLB who are capable of playing CF who are having much better years than David Lough this season--Sam Fuld, Endy Chavez, Nyjer Mogan, Anthony Gose and Jarrod Dyson for instance.

But I question whether we need a backup CF per se on the roster. If Adam Jones gets hurt, you slide Nick over for the rest of the game and then you call up Quinton Berry from Norfolk.

Well, there are backup outfielders in MLB who are capable of playing CF who are having much better years than David Lough this season--Sam Fuld, Endy Chavez, Nyjer Mogan, Anthony Gose and Jarrod Dyson for instance.

But I question whether we need a backup CF per se on the roster. If Adam Jones gets hurt, you slide Nick over for the rest of the game and then you call up Quinton Berry from Norfolk.

Have you seen Nick pulling his sled in right field? The days where he could have been passable in center are long gone.

0.015 OPS points over his MLB career.

It's an open question whether that's skill, or the fact that over any large population you'll have a few reverse splits from players with natural platoon skills just by luck...

I think the sample size (and considering his style) would indicate he has been fairly adept at hitting LHP.

Apparently, unlike teams that use the minors to develop young talent, the Orioles use the minors to hide and punish players who are better than the ones they have in the major leagues. If only these great players toiling in the minors could be relieved from their shackles.

Apparently, unlike teams that use the minors to develop young talent, the Orioles use the minors to hide and punish players who are better than the ones they have in the major leagues. If only these great players toiling in the minors could be relieved from their shackles.

Free the Tides!

Archived