You Mean To Tell Me That We Can't Do Better Than Flaherty?

WNY Orioles Fan

Apparently, unlike teams that use the minors to develop young talent, the Orioles use the minors to hide and punish players who are better than the ones they have in the major leagues. If only these great players toiling in the minors could be relieved from their shackles.

This post is either:

A. Absurd.

B. One of the most masterful pieces of sarcasm ever posted.

I vote B.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It seems that most people complaining about Flaherty are offensive-minded, and apparently have little or no ability to grasp the defensive aspect of the game, and especially defensive versatility. Buck doesn't have a "fascination", rather a "realization" that the Orioles have no one else in there system with Flaherty's defensive skill set. And if you look around baseball, it is somewhat unique.

Ever hear of Ben Zobrist? Flaherty is like the poverty level version of Ben if Ben is equivilent to Donald Trump!

I think this thread has gotten a little bit off base.

Flaherty does not bring ONE SINGLE THING to the table that can't be improved upon with in the system or on the current roster. Therefore, he does not belong on the roster. Pointing out other team's weak hitting utility players is completely irrelevant.

Hallejuah, Halleujah, .....cue the classical version of the Messiah. Someone actually is right on the money@@@!

Free the Tides!

I don't see how any starting minor league third baseman in the Orioles system could not equal or better Flaherty at third base if given a chance. He (Flaherty) can't field well at that position either, but because he plays second and short is the preferred option??? The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. Hence the Flash experiment needs to come to an end...

I was thinking more like Pop Goes the Weasel (not that there's anything wrong with weasels).

Odd thing to bring up.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/6VpZk9dGXGA?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Ever hear of Ben Zobrist? Flaherty is like the poverty level version of Ben if Ben is equivilent to Donald Trump!
Hallejuah, Halleujah, .....cue the classical version of the Messiah. Someone actually is right on the money@@@!
I don't see how any starting minor league third baseman in the Orioles system could not equal or better Flaherty at third base if given a chance. He (Flaherty) can't field well at that position either, but because he plays second and short is the preferred option??? The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. Hence the Flash experiment needs to come to an end...

It's not an experiment. And he does not play a position. He is our Utility. Infielder. Not Ben Zobrist. Utility. Infielder.

Odd thing to bring up.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/6VpZk9dGXGA?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

...................................................................................

...................................................................................

...what. The ever loving. ----.

He's not much. Except, his role is that of fill in when someone is hurt or suspended.

...what. The ever loving. ----.

They even had a baseball name.

Odd thing to bring up.

Actually, I had this version in mind...

[video=youtube;uSsUoxlSADk]

FWIW, there are 14 players in the AL who have had at least 100 PA and have an OPS worse than Flaherty's .587. So, we are far from the only team that has a player like this. Unfortunately, we have two of them -- Flaherty and Lough (.544).

By the way, the bottom of the list is Jose (at least I am a great pitch framer) Molina, .382.

It's not an experiment. And he does not play a position. He is our Utility. Infielder. Not Ben Zobrist. Utility. Infielder.

Isn't that what Zobrist was when he was Flaherty's age? The difference is he can actually hit.

Archived