(Almost) All Things Manny Machado....

EagleOriole

11 minutes ago, ArtVanDelay said:

So a few good plays here and there make up for him being terrible otherwise?  He made up for it with his bat but he probably should've been at 3B or LF.  Maybe 2B.

A few good plays? That jump throw was nice. 

• Replies 826
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, ORIOLE33 said:

And are you guys referring to Jeter's later years? In his prime, I remember Jeter as a damn good SS.

One of his worst defensive seasons came at age 26 according to both Fangraphs and BBref.  FG has it at his worst.  He was consistently bad throughout his career.

13 hours ago, ArtVanDelay said:

One of his worst defensive seasons came at age 26 according to both Fangraphs and BBref.  FG has it at his worst.  He was consistently bad throughout his career.

A couple of things, first everything that happens in NY as you well know is magnified.  Jeter became destined for greatness the moment that stupid kid who shall go unnamed grabbed a ball from Tony Tarasco.  Over the years the Yankees won 1.5 million world series titles and are the sole reason that global warming has not completely destroyed the earth.  During this time, Jeter had an amazing ability to be in the middle of important events.  They made a movie about this a few years back, it was called.... Forrest Gump.  

Jeter, had great awareness and preparation and those qualities always made him look better than he was in the field.  One of the best plays of his career...the flip play is a freak because he is out of position.  It's brilliant.  But it doesn't make him a great defensive SS.  The reality is he was statistically bad but capable of being brilliant.  And he had an uncanny ability to hit those highs in what we now call high leverage situations.

Calling him one of the worst or consistently bad just seems disingenuous.  The numbers don't lie you say....well the championships don't either.

57 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Last 28 days 1 BB 339/339/661

Yeah, not too worried about it.    Sometimes when you're hot you'll swing at more borderline pitches rather than trying to draw a walk.    Even with his "walk drought" he's on pace to walk more than he did last year.

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Yeah, not too worried about it.    Sometimes when you're hot you'll swing at more borderline pitches rather than trying to draw a walk.    Even with his "walk drought" he's on pace to walk more than he did last year.

I just thought it was interesting.

I would have thought that, as hot as he has been, pitchers would have been been pitching around him to some extent.

Just now, Frobby said:

I've always thought of Manny as being a very good hitter, but not a particularly clutch hitter in terms of raising his game in key situations.   He is changing my mind this year.   

Definitely this 2nd half. I still want to see him rake for a whole year. 

On 8/22/2017 at 10:07 AM, Can_of_corn said:

I just thought it was interesting.

I would have thought that, as hot as he has been, pitchers would have been been pitching around him to some extent.

Could it be, gasp, that with Schoop hitting behind him...wait for it...LINEUP PROTECTION?

Archived