(Almost) All Things Manny Machado....

EagleOriole

On 6/29/2017 at 3:18 PM, birdwatcher55 said:

I wish we could move him at deadline and remove this dark cloud of uncertainty that has been hanging over this franchise and will only get darker as this situation continues without a resolution.

Be prepared for this to last till next season.

• 2 weeks later...

I think Manny mostly got back to hitting like Manny during July, when he hit .327/.379/.490.     To me, he was more patient and went to RF a lot more over the last month.    His homers dropped off (3), but he hit a ton of doubles (8) and did a good job setting the table for his buddy Schoop.   I'm hoping he can stay with that approach for the rest of the year.

The KC announcers had an interesting theory that I don't believe the Orioles announcers have expressed. They speculated that Manny got homer-happy and changed his swing playing for the Dominican team in the WBC. They noted he looked more relaxed going opposite field on his second double of the night.

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I think Manny mostly got back to hitting like Manny during July, when he hit .327/.379/.490.     To me, he was more patient and went to RF a lot more over the last month.    His homers dropped off (3), but he hit a ton of doubles (8) and did a good job setting the table for his buddy Schoop.   I'm hoping he can stay with that approach for the rest of the year.

Woo Hoo, give him a 10/400 contract, get that bust ready for the HOF. In Manny's good month he had a .869 OPS.

There are 41 MLB players with a higher OPS for the season!

• Downvote 1

9 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

Woo Hoo, give him a 10/400 contract, get that bust ready for the HOF. In Manny's good month he had a .869 OPS.

There are 41 MLB players with a higher OPS for the season!

Your reply to Frobby is completely unrelated to anything Frobby was trying to say. 

4 minutes ago, interloper said:

Your reply to Frobby is completely unrelated to anything Frobby was trying to say. 

But it's completely related to webbrick2010's permanent agenda.    God forbid we just enjoy the fact that a player who had been slumping had a good month.  

26 minutes ago, Frobby said:

But it's completely related to webbrick2010's permanent agenda.    God forbid we just enjoy the fact that a player who had been slumping had a good month.  

My point is that I find it somewhat amazing that the bar has been so lowered that we talk about a .869 OPS as a good month for Manny?

This is a guy that many thought would have many .900+ OPS seasons.

But I'm sorry if I reduced your enjoyment.

1 minute ago, webbrick2010 said:

My point is that I find it somewhat amazing that the bar has been so lowered that we talk about a .869 OPS as a good month for Manny?

This is a guy that many thought would have many .900+ OPS seasons.

But I'm sorry if I reduced your enjoyment.

Well, I've never thought he would have many .900+ OPS seasons.   We've certainly seen him at .861 and .876 the last two years, so .869 is a solid month for him.    He's obviously not going to be in the mid/high .800's this season, but I'm hoping he can crawl back into the .800 range by the end of the year.    More importantly, I just want to see him returning to good habits at the plate, which I feel he's doing.   

For me, the obvious comp for Manny is Adrian Beltre.    They both broke into the majors at 19, they both had great gloves right from the start.    But Manny's been much better offensively in his first 5+ seasons (.803 OPS, 116 OPS+) than Beltre was (.748 OPS, 103 OPS+).    Like most players, Beltre's progress wasn't completely linear; unlike most, he's been a better hitter in his 30's than in his 20's.   My point is, just because Manny's having a bit of a down year doesn't mean he's stalled out at the age of 24.    

8 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Well, I've never thought he would have many .900+ OPS seasons.   We've certainly seen him at .861 and .876 the last two years, so .869 is a solid month for him.    He's obviously not going to be in the mid/high .800's this season, but I'm hoping he can crawl back into the .800 range by the end of the year.    More importantly, I just want to see him returning to good habits at the plate, which I feel he's doing.   

Hope your right... I think all he has to do is close his stance say 50% less open and he'd start covering the outside half of the plate. Can't think of many good hitters with a  stance like his. He should try the imitation is the best form of flattery and copy someone  elses stance

39 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

Hope your right... I think all he has to do is close his stance say 50% less open and he'd start covering the outside half of the plate. Can't think of many good hitters with a  stance like his. He should try the imitation is the best form of flattery and copy someone  elses stance

I have seen his stance change a couple of times this month.    First he did what you suggested, then he reverted back to more open, now the last couple days he's gone back to being a bit more closed.   I agree with you that the more open stance is less effective.