Where will Reimold go? (Update: DFA)

Aglets

Nolan had surgery to correct the slipped disc. I believe the "chronic" part of the injury would be if you treated it with rest and didn't do anything about it. If you don't believe injuries are random events, I suppose we should get rid of Manny as he is obviously injury prone as well. I'm not saying I'm sure Nolan will be durable for the next 5-7 years, all I'm saying is that you have no proof he won't be.

Good call on Manny.

Let's also remember guys like Chris Davis, who was pretty much a throw-in in the Koji deal because he was blocked in Texas and they gave up on him. He was younger than Nolan when he finally broke out for us in 2012, but he's another example of one man's trash being another man's treasure.

I'd like to have Arietta, Strop, and Simon back on this team right now too.

Meanwhile we give chance after chance to guys like Flaherty and Pie and Matusz who shouldn't be on Major League rosters.

• Replies 493
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nolan had surgery to correct the slipped disc. I believe the "chronic" part of the injury would be if you treated it with rest and didn't do anything about it. If you don't believe injuries are random events, I suppose we should get rid of Manny as he is obviously injury prone as well. I'm not saying I'm sure Nolan will be durable for the next 5-7 years, all I'm saying is that you have no proof he won't be.

"Get rid of Manny"? What the heck are you talking about? I just said that certain injuries are chronic. For all we know, Manny could easily reinjure his knee, and he was fortunate to have been injured during an offseason.

Let's put that scenario into play; Manny reinjures his knee on his first game back. Surgery is required again (just like Nolan) and he misses the rest of the season. You wouldn't consider him to be injury prone? Three seasons and two season ending surgeries during that span? I would.

That's what's happened to Reimold. But Reimold doesn't have the benefit of being an amazing defender, younger than 22, or being under team control for the considerable future.

Chronic injuries can reaggravate at any time (making them "random") but chronic injuries are more likely to occur once you've injured yourself once, and that compounds with each successive injury.

"Get rid of Manny"? What the heck are you talking about? I just said that certain injuries are chronic. For all we know, Manny could easily reinjure his knee, and he was fortunate to have been injured during an offseason.

Let's put that scenario into play; Manny reinjures his knee on his first game back. Surgery is required again (just like Nolan) and he misses the rest of the season. You wouldn't consider him to be injury prone? Three seasons and two season ending surgeries during that span? I would.

That's what's happened to Reimold. But Reimold doesn't have the benefit of being an amazing defender, younger than 22, or being under team control for the considerable future.

Chronic injuries can reaggravate at any time (making them "random") but chronic injuries are more likely to occur once you've injured yourself once, and that compounds with each successive injury.

Manny had a knee injury while in the Orioles minor league system, and I believe he had one before being drafted as well. So without being able to prove the High School injury, its either 2 or 3 serious knee injuries before the age of 22. So yes, he could be considered to have weak knees and be injury prone, by your standards.

You don't know that Nolan has more chance to get hurt then any other player. He may have just gotten unlucky. I assume that the GMs in baseball have access to his medical reports and can use the advice of doctors as opposed to two guys spouting opinions on a message board. In any event, he could have a healthy and productive 5-7 years left in him. There is a chance of that. That's all I'm saying.

You don't know that Nolan has more chance to get hurt then any other player. He may have just gotten unlucky. I assume that the GMs in baseball have access to his medical reports and can use the advice of doctors as opposed to two guys spouting opinions on a message board. In any event, he could have a healthy and productive 5-7 years left in him. There is a chance of that. That's all I'm saying.

I suppose you don't know. But you have a long track record of him being constantly injured.

His games played totals since turning pro:

2005: 73

2006: 119

2007: 59

2008: 139

2009: 135

2010: 133

2011: 126

2012: 16

2013: 62

2014: 17

He got to the majors in 2009. He's never played 140 games in a season, and has missed signifcant time in at least four different seasons. I guess that could all be isolated case of bad luck.

Amazing. 27 page on Nolan Reimold's fate. You would think he was Lew Ford. Lol. I hope Nolan can play as he wants to, but his second surgery was to fix an initial failed cervical disc fusion. This is very serious surgery, not just for baseball, but for his life afterwards. Whether the repaired fusion can stand up to the extreme torque and rigors of professional baseball remains to be seen, but I hope so for Nolan. If it were Lough we could look to get rid of, I would take a chance on him. But not Young.

I suppose you don't know. But you have a long track record of him being constantly injured.

His games played totals since turning pro:

2005: 73

2006: 119

2007: 59

2008: 139

2009: 135

2010: 133

2011: 126

2012: 16

2013: 62

2014: 17

He got to the majors in 2009. He's never played 140 games in a season, and has missed signifcant time in at least four different seasons. I guess that could all be isolated case of bad luck.

Any comps ending up with a productive career?

Amazing. 27 page on Nolan Reimold's fate. You would think he was Lew Ford. Lol. I hope Nolan can play as he wants to, but his second surgery was to fix an initial failed cervical disc fusion. This is very serious surgery, not just for baseball, but for his life afterwards. Whether the repaired fusion can stand up to the extreme torque and rigors of professional baseball remains to be seen, but I hope so for Nolan. If it were Lough we could look to get rid of, I would take a chance on him. But not Young.

If Reimold were Lew Ford, this thread would need a exorcism. Because Lew Ford is the Devil's spawn.

(I don't get it, either, but apparently it's a thing)

Who cares!

We're talking about Nolan Freaking Reimold here...close this ridiculous thread of a guy who might never play a decent game again in his life ever again.

This post didn't inform me of anything but the fact that you are probably not Nolan's mom.

Probably.

Who cares!

We're talking about Nolan Freaking Reimold here...close this ridiculous thread of a guy who might never play a decent game again in his life ever again.

We got six more days of this so you best get used to it. Then it might be off to the tracking ex-oriole thread.

(Edit: this is in response to Can_of_corn's post asking about comps)

Depends. To develop lists of comps the logical place to start is people who didn't play a whole lot in their 20s. But that's for 78 different reasons, including the color line, the fact the MLB didn't exist until the guy was 28, the guy converted from pitcher, the guy was stuck in Japan or Cuba, the guy couldn't field so he kept getting sent back to DesMoines, the guy played prior to free agency and was stuck behind Stan Musial on the depth chart. An awful lot of cases that look superficially similar to Reimold's career but really aren't the same at all.

I guess I need to see if I can run a query for players who had four or five years of some but not a lot of MLB games in their 20s. But that only eliminates some of the noise.

(Edit: this is in response to Can_of_corn's post asking about comps)

Depends. To develop lists of comps the logical place to start is people who didn't play a whole lot in their 20s. But that's for 78 different reasons, including the color line, the fact the MLB didn't exist until the guy was 28, the guy converted from pitcher, the guy was stuck in Japan or Cuba, the guy couldn't field so he kept getting sent back to DesMoines, the guy played prior to free agency and was stuck behind Stan Musial on the depth chart. An awful lot of cases that look superficially similar to Reimold's career but really aren't the same at all.

I guess I need to see if I can run a query for players who had four or five years of some but not a lot of MLB games in their 20s. But that only eliminates some of the noise.

Thanks for looking at it. Don't spend time better spent elsewhere.

Maybe Reimold is trying to become the Rudy Seanez of position players. 17 years in the majors, including seasons of 5, 5, 3, 8, 23, 21, 33, 23, and 36 innings. His best, most durable 4-year run was from ages 36-39. By that point most of his arm was probably robotic.

Archived