Blue Jays claim Nolan Reimold

xian4

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Oh my god. Seriously? If Nolan Reimold is the true difference maker for the Jays then I will leave this board and never come back.

That statement right there. There are literally 10's of thousands of things that have to happen before this season ends. My point is this, maybe Nolan Reimold hits a walk off grand slam sending the Jays to the playoffs and not us. But there are thousands upon thousands of things that could have happened before that would have made the grand slam insignificant.

Nolan had no place on this team, not anymore. Good for him. Best of luck.

I need to become a plus member so I can give posts like this a greenie.

Spot on, my opinion exactly.

I'm not the least bit worried about Nolan reimold making us pay.

If anything, you have to take into account he is now playing on AstroTurf. If anything, I doubt he even finishes the season, he'll be on the DL in no time diving for balls in Toronto.

Yes, his last 27 at bats have been solid. .296 is solid and his OPS is .943. But I have a hard time drawing anything resembling a conclusion based off of 27 at bats. Especially considering that the 30 at bats before that gave him a .133 BA and an OPS of .369.

He's not as good as his 27 June at bats. He's not as bad as his 30 May at bats.

No those 27 don't tell you what his true nature as a player is, but is does tell us somethings. It tells us that given opportunities as of late, he's performed well. It tells me that his concussion issue and his team transfer had had an affect on his game and his June stats tell me that maybe he was injured and/or pressing and have since stopped. His career which is almost a complete full season, over the last 3 years looks roughly like 176 games, 495 at bats .258/.298/.370, good for 3.0 WAR in about a full season of play. Now using those numbers to represent a full season of work is unfair, as in its not possible. He cannot hit lefties to save his life. But those numbers do suggest to me that his hitting as of late are closer to what we can expect from him than the early part of the year where he was adjusting to a new team/role and an injury.

His June numbers are almost entirely against righties, so its possible that those June who how he can be maximized in a platoon fashion. Could be true value there... aside from the defensive replacement and base running.

To the Reimold debate, I would keep Lough and would have DFAed Young.. hell he might have made it through. Young is basically a good pinch hitter and occasional DH. I think Reimold could have been that and potential more.. Reimold might have even seen the other half of an inning possibly. Something we know Young certainly wouldn't see. And if the question of Reimold is his health and not his ability, then given how sparingly we use Young, I think we could have banked on Reimold being healthy in that capacity and offering more all the while. Furthermore, at some point the odds have to favor that Reimold will keep it together long enough to play a full half season... I have a suspicion that is going to happen for the rest of this year.

I don't mind losing Reimold.. of course the what-if potential is a rabbit hole, and I have to stop myself from going down into fantasy land. I do think we could have gotten something for him though. All those years of trying to get him work and we just let him go at a time when a division rival was just waiting in the wings for him. At least we got 3 months of a number 4 pitcher for Arrieta and Strop.

Reimold is one month older than Markakis. While Markakis was having a career (whatever you think of him), Reimold was having 1/2 a season and rehabbing. There's a chance that Reimold will be a sparkplug in the Blue Jay's offense, but a much bigger chance he will hit like someone who hasn't had many major league at bats in years. I applaud DD for taking the "sure thing" over the gambler's chance.

Not to mention changing the chemistry of a team on a hot streak mid hot streak.

Delmon earned his place on our 25 man by excelling as a pinch hitter and professional hitter.

Reimold is a complete and utter wild card.

This team is finally starting to play consistent baseball and you want to change the team up on a gamble that reimold can both contribute after years of inactivity AND stay healthy until the end of the season???

I don't get it, to me, this was a no brainer. You keep Delmon and hope reimold makes it through waivers. He didn't, so be it, time for us to move on.

If anything, we know all his weaknesses as a hitter and can exploit then when we play the Jays.

Career WAR numbers:

Delmon Young: 7.4 oWAR, -9.9 dWAR in 1,024 games

Nolan Reimold: 3 oWAR, -1.8 dWAR in 286 games

What this says is neither should be playing the field. And I think when it's all said and done, Nolan Reimold is not going to put up that much better numbers for the remainder of this season...and I question his long term durability.

It really doesn't mean that at all. Reimold's career average in the field is minus 2 runs below average using his DRS numbers (the same numbers used to calculate dWAR). That's basically average. Even Young is only 7 runs below average rate over his career. That would probably be acceptable if he could hit like a good corner outfielder. Nick has been about 7 runs below average over the past three years in RF. Would you say he should never take the field? The real issue with Young and Reimold's defensive numbers is their poor trends.

"We'll see what he is," Gibbons said. "Here's his opportunity, there wasn't a spot for him over there in Baltimore, they have Cruz, Delmon Young, he'll come here and help us out. Maybe he'll remember their signs."

it's the season

Sadly, this part is probably true. Like a NFL team that picks up the practice squad player of another team the week before they play them to get a peek into their playbook.

Sadly' date=' this part is probably true. Like a NFL team that picks up the practice squad player of another team the week before they play them to get a peek into their playbook.[/quote']

Has he even been around the team enough to know the signs. :)

That aspect is a total non factor and I'm sure that was a tongue in cheek comment from gibbons.

I think people are making this too complicated. Steve Pearce is having a career year, and Delmon Young is having a very solid year. That's why Nolan Reimold was DFA'd. If Pearce or Young had a .650 OPS this season, Nolan would be on the team right now. But teams don't tend to fool with what's working.

Has he even been around the team enough to know the signs. :)

That aspect is a total non factor and I'm sure that was a tongue in cheek comment from gibbons.

Well considering that they are sign stealers anyway, yes.

Add Soriano to the equation. Of the three, who do you want?

Put a gun to my head, and I'll take Young. If you added Lough to the mix, I'd take him over the other three. Soriano is a total loss, a complete zero, a 38-year-old DH with miserable 2014 numbers and a multi-year track record of being miserable.

Well considering that they are sign stealers anyway, yes.

How do we know this? And how do we know the Orioles don't? They have a hotel in CF, we have a warehouse in RC, a hotel in LC. If it's all about their hitting splits, well, a lot of teams play in hitter's parks. Blue Jays pitchers have almost the same H/R splits as their hitters, as in their pitchers do worse at home than on the road.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>The <a href="https://twitter.com/BlueJays">@BlueJays</a> place 1B EDWIN ENCARNACION on 15-DL with a right quadriceps strain. OF NOLAN REIMOLD will be activated for tonight’s contest.</p>— Blue Jays-Official (@BlueJays) <a href="https://twitter.com/BlueJays/statuses/486230404907945984">July 7, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I'm sure we'll hear about it endlessly whenever he does anything at all.

Bautista 2. No wait, Werth 2...hold on, maybe Simon 2? Or my favorite, Neshek 2.

It doesn't matter, no sense in losing Young in a big year like this for the off chance that not only Reimokd produces but he stays healthy.

The irony is I've been a huge fan of Reimolds because of a walk off HR he had vs threw Blue Jays way back when. Let's hope he doesn't return the favor.

Archived