Blue Jays claim Nolan Reimold

xian4

That's what the Norfolk Shuttle is for. How many times does Jones sit?

I'll give you a few minutes to look it up.

I'm not going to because I am on my tablet and not my computer at home.

But I wasn't even saying I agreed with it...just that that is what I **think** Buck believes. He wants a capable defensive backup at every position in case of injury. IMO.

Sent from my QMV7A using Tapatalk

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That's what the Norfolk Shuttle is for. How many times does Jones sit?

I'll give you a few minutes to look it up.

That much I actually agree with SteveA on. We don't really have a viable backup option in Norfolk either.

Then again, it could be argued that Lough isn't really a viable option. Heck, I'd probably be more inclined to try Borbon in the outfield in an emergency situation if needed then continue to waste a roster space on Lough now.

All this remorse over Reimold is a bit over the top. Sure, he could catch fire and put up an .850+ OPS. He also could put up a .600ish OPS like he did in 2010 and 2013 or be back on the DL in a month. The odds of him outperforming Pearce or Young this year aren't very high.

Maybe true.

What were the odds Pearce would be performing like he is?

Or that Davis would be a scrub this year?

Or that both NY and Boston would be under .500 at the All Star break?

Or that Cruz would be a leader in HR and RBI at the break?

I liked Nolan, that much is obvious, but at this point, I'l step away and wish him well personally, but be forced to root against him.

I would have traded or DFAd Young before giving Nolan away for nothing.

Also not sure what you all see in Lough. You say he plays a different role than Nolan would. What is that role besides keeping the bench warm and filling in as a 9th inning defensive replacement once or twice a week? Lets face it, we're over halfway through the season...I think its a little late to say Lough is just slumping.

So yeah, I'd rather have Young, Pearce, Cruz, and Nolan filling the exact same roles than have Lough wasting a spot on this roster.

Now, as much as I hate it, I have to root against Nolan because he's a Jay.

Very fair. Nolan does not replace Lough though. Bourbon or Peguero do. It's not like Lough is irreplaceable. He just can't be replaced by Nolan. Or could not have been.

All this remorse over Reimold is a bit over the top. Sure, he could catch fire and put up an .850+ OPS. He also could put up a .600ish OPS like he did in 2010 and 2013 or be back on the DL in a month. The odds of him outperforming Pearce or Young this year aren't very high.

True.

However the odds of him outperforming Pearce or Young from this point in the season are a lot more reasonable.

Very fair. Nolan does not replace Lough though. Bourbon or Peguero do. It's not like Lough is irreplaceable. He just can't be replaced by Nolan. Or could not have been.

Maybe it was just the couple games I was at, but I saw nothing that Peguero could do that Reimold (when healthy) couldn't also do. If Peguero is a possible replacement for Lough, then so is Reimold.

The bottom line is, we have come a long way from the days of Reimold and Pie platooning in left. The fact that we had to give Nolan away shows the team has depth now. Its a good problem that Nolan had to be released.

True.

However the odds of him outperforming Pearce or Young from this point in the season are a lot more reasonable.

Yup. Pearce has been a great story, but he WAY out-perfoming any prior performance in his career. If he finished the year batting .280 with just 15 homeruns (he's at 10 now), it would not be remotely surprising to me. It would also still be a career season for him. Delmon Young hasn't OPSd north of .715 since 2010. No reason to believe Reimold can't OPS .715... and that Young won't turn around and OPS .715 from here.

Okay, fair enough.

The only question to me is health, and its a big question, I'll admit. But if Nolan stays healthy, there is little doubt in my mind he outperforms Young.

I had no intentions of Nolan taking Pearce's spot.

Young has a far superior pedigree. Who will stay healthy and perform better in the future? I don't know.

Young has a far superior pedigree. Who will stay healthy and perform better in the future? I don't know.

Except he doesn't.

Trivia, which player has been worth more WAR in their major league careers. Answer: Nolan Reimold with 2.7 (Young has 2.3).

Sure, Young has a longer career and has been more healthy. But Reimold has a higher career OPS (.766 to .741), a higher OBP (.327 to .317), and Reimold has a better career best OPS too (.831 to .826).

Reimold actually walks from time to time, which is a niche not filled on our team right now. Young fits right in by rarely walking.

Except he doesn't.

Trivia, which player has been worth more WAR in their major league careers. Answer: Nolan Reimold with 2.7 (Young has 2.3).

Sure, Young has a longer career and has been more healthy. But Reimold has a higher career OPS (.766 to .741), a higher OBP (.327 to .317), and Reimold has a better career best OPS too (.831 to .826).

Reimold actually walks from time to time, which is a niche not filled on our team right now. Young fits right in by rarely walking.

What Weams meant is that Delmon went 1-1 Reimold went in the second round.

Archived