Blue Jays claim Nolan Reimold

xian4

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No doubt the Orioles had Young in one hand and Reimold in the other, weighing them out, and kept Young and threw Nolan back on the waiver pile.

Also, no doubt it has to do with health. They kept the lower upside guy who has a better chance of staying healthy the whole year.

I'll be surprised if Nolan can play somewhat regular innings without getting hurt again. Sure, maybe a lot of his injuries have been bad luck, but I wouldn't want to chance it. Plus he's basically a butcher in the field, so he has little or no advantage over Young defensively.

It's an interesting bet: which player will be worth more over the rest of the season. I'll trust Buck and Dan and go with Young. But seriously, we're talking a couple of tenths of WAR here most likely.

Doesn't the Rogers Centre have artificial turf? That will be hard on Nolan.

Prior to the 2010 baseball season, to reduce the amount of time required to convert the playing field, a new, roll-based version of AstroTurf was installed. Similar to FieldTurf, the current installation uses a sand and rubber-based infill within the synthetic fibres.[28] The Rogers Centre is one of two remaining venues in Major League Baseball using artificial turf (the other one is Tropicana Field in St. Petersburg, Florida), and the only one that uses "sliding pits" instead of a complete dirt infield.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rogers_Centre

No doubt the Orioles had Young in one hand and Reimold in the other, weighing them out, and kept Young and threw Nolan back on the waiver pile.

Also, no doubt it has to do with health. They kept the lower upside guy who has a better chance of staying healthy the whole year.

I'll be surprised if Nolan can play somewhat regular innings without getting hurt again. Sure, maybe a lot of his injuries have been bad luck, but I wouldn't want to chance it. Plus he's basically a butcher in the field, so he has little or no advantage over Young defensively.

It's an interesting bet: which player will be worth more over the rest of the season. I'll trust Buck and Dan and go with Young. But seriously, we're talking a couple of tenths of WAR here most likely.

He is very fast. And has shown a good eye at the plate. Things this team lacks. So I do wee where the folks who are unhappy are coming from. He also squats 425. Twice.

I didn't say look at the stats, McLovin said look at the stats.

All I did was look at the stats.

Like I said 0 total WAR over the last five seasons. Along with him never playing more than half a season makes me wonder why you care about Reimold.

I doubt Nolan will stay healthy enough to make an impact with Toronto.

If he does, then that's just the byproduct of being a successful team. We can't keep everyone.

The more success Baltimore has, the more these moves will happen imo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am glad because maybe we can stop obsessing and having multiple threads about Nolan Reimold. That he is a major weapon, etc, etc. It is like a remake of The Natural. I wish him well, like BRob, hope he hits .100 and, most important, stays healthy for his long life after baseball.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reimold is one month older than Markakis. While Markakis was having a career (whatever you think of him), Reimold was having 1/2 a season and rehabbing. There's a chance that Reimold will be a sparkplug in the Blue Jay's offense, but a much bigger chance he will hit like someone who hasn't had many major league at bats in years. I applaud DD for taking the "sure thing" over the gambler's chance.

Basically Dan and gang are believers in Young and his durability (and age) over Reimold and his unreliability (and age). Neither can field much. Young has a better pedigree. Reimold may be more patient, but their career numbers are essentially a wash:

Delmon Young: .283/.317/.424 - .741 OPS

Nolan Reimold: .252/.327/.439 - .766 OPs

If we look at the last 3 years:

Delmon Young

.266/.301/.404 - .705 OPS, average 126 games

Nolan Reimold

.242/.307/.446 - .753 OPS, average of 48 games

Career WAR numbers:

Delmon Young: 7.4 oWAR, -9.9 dWAR in 1,024 games

Nolan Reimold: 3 oWAR, -1.8 dWAR in 286 games

What this says is neither should be playing the field. And I think when it's all said and done, Nolan Reimold is not going to put up that much better numbers for the remainder of this season...and I question his long term durability.

I wish Reimold well. But I hope he falls flat on his face when it comes to helping the Blue Jays.

"We'll see what he is," Gibbons said. "Here's his opportunity, there wasn't a spot for him over there in Baltimore, they have Cruz, Delmon Young, he'll come here and help us out. Maybe he'll remember their signs."

it's the season

Archived