Darren O'Day this Year.

BJSurhoff27

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Darren O' Day is still one of the best relief pitchers of his generation. But so far in September he is giving up a .200/.360/.550 line (.910 OPS). If he doesn't show any improvement in the next couple weeks I would be very careful about using him in the playoffs. He could end up being the 2014 version of Armando Benitez. (note the home runs he's been giving up)

I think it is just an issue of reverting to his historical splits vs LHPs. The three HR have all come against lefties - Ortiz, Bruce, and McAnn. Also the defense did not help it out. If bases are empty, he does not have to give the big guy anything to hit. I see Buck being a little more careful about matchups in the playoffs but otherwise DOD is still a core piece of the bullpen.

• 2 weeks later...

o

(vs. TIGERS, 10/02) O[A.L.D.S., Game One]

A solo home run to Miguel Cabrera, after having recorded 3 outs (one in the top of the 7th inning, and two more in the top of the 8th.)

The Orioles were fortunate that they had a 2-run lead after Hardy's solo home run in the bottom of the 7th inning.

o

(vs. TIGERS, 10/02) O[A.L.D.S., Game One]

A solo home run to Miguel Cabrera, after having recorded 3 outs (one in the top of the 7th inning, and two more in the top of the 8th.)

The Orioles were fortunate that they had a 2-run lead after Hardy's solo home run in the bottom of the 7th inning.

They were also fortunate to get that soft line drive double play. I'm still worried about O'Day more than the other three (Hunter, Miller, Britton).

Then again, Detroit's bullpen, wow...

I've been saying it for a little over a month now, in which time O'Day, Britton, Brach, and Miller all struggled some at one point or another ...... we have deep depth in the bullpen, and that allows a team to continue to succeed through the tough times, so long as all 5 of your top relievers (the 4 previously mentioned, plus Tommy Hunter) aren't all struggling at the same time.

They were also fortunate to get that soft line drive double play. I'm still worried about O'Day more than the other three (Hunter, Miller, Britton).

Then again, Detroit's bullpen, wow...

I'm not too concerned. Kinsler was really battling. Give him some credit. And Cabrera is Cabrera.

I'd give him the ball tomorrow.

O'Day has not been as devastatingly sharp as he was in the first half of the season. Though he still does well, he walks more hitters, he gives up more long balls and he does not break off that killer slider like he did in the first half. I think he is just at the end of a long season but though he is still very, very good, he is not the absolute, inning over, dominator that he was in the first half.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived