vs. YANKEES, 7/11

OFFNY

• Replies 860
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The strange part is how incredibly inconsistent they are. And after being relatively consistent last year, Tillman has decided he wanted to join the inconsistent starting pitchers club. When they step on the mound in the first inning, you have NO CLUE if this is going to be a 9-run, 1.1 inning outing, or if they'll sniff a complete game and give up less than 3 runs. Worse, both possibilities are equally likely.

At least with some pitchers, the blowouts are very rare. With Orioles starters, with few exceptions in the past decade or so, having a terrible start is about as typical as going 6 innings and giving up 2 runs.

Let's see, in his starts this year Gonzalez has given up 7 3 0 3 4 3 2 2 2 2 2 4 3 3 2 2 runs. In other words, he has given up more than 4 runs in ONE start all year.

Tillman: 1 1 2 3 7 3 3 3 0 8 6 1 5 1 3 0 1 3 2. OK, he has given up more than 3 runs in 4 starts this year out of 19.

Chen: 4 4 1 3 2 3 2 1 5 5 1 2 0 3 3 5 2 3. So he has given up more than 4 runs in 3 starts.

So those 3 starters, who you say having a "terrible start" is about as typical as going 6 innings and giving up 2 runs, have given up > 4 runs at total of 8 starts out of 54. And they have given up 3 or fewer runs in 41 starts out of 54.

First of all, I think your expectations are too high if you expect these guys to do a lot better. And I think your characterization of them as somehow wildly inconsistent and prone to frequent terrible games is way off base. They are very solid mid-rotation major league starters. Chen and Gonzalez have had issues going deep into games, though lately that has not been a problem.

But I'm pretty happy with what we have gotten out of them, and I don't view their starts as a disaster waiting to happen, and I don't panic when they give up a few hits or walks early. We could do a lot worse than those guys.

Archived