A's may be willing to eat most of Jim Johnson's contract in a trade. Should O's consider? (DFA)

mdbdotcom

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why would we want him back? Do you want the Orioles to lose a bunch of games. My here is a reason the Orioles traded him for a guy that they really didn't want. There is a reason the Athetics are trying to give him away.

When he get's release, then you can make that offer to him. If you claim him or trade for him, you get the major league deal and all that comes with it. No matter how much of the money you are on the hook for. Call it Gregg time, because he is one of your 25 from now until the day after the World Series ends. And then you get nothing for him. Because no QO.

Oh I know. Nobody is going to take that contract or give anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm curious as to whether or not he could turn into a solid starter a la Derek Lowe circa 2002.

But I'm not curious enough to do a trade to find out. If he gets released and we bring him back on a minor league deal and see what we can do with him, ok. Otherwise, it's over man.

We absolutely should try and trade for him.

Really? I think you're quite alone in that belief.

♫ This is how it feels to be lonely ♪

♪ This is how it feels to be small ♫

♫ This is how it feels when your words ♪

♪ Mean nothing at all ♫

Why not try him as a starting pitcher. I think that Jim Palmer even mentioned that a few times

I wouldn't let him start for the shorebirds.

He can't even make it out of one inning, now he's gotta make it through 6-7?

The a's would have to send Donaldson with him just for us to consider taking Johnson off their hands.

Really? I think you're quite alone in that belief.

♫ This is how it feels to be lonely ♪

♪ This is how it feels to be small ♫

♫ This is how it feels when your words ♪

♪ Mean nothing at all ♫

That was a pretty catchy tune. But how did Koji Uehara turn out after Texas gave up on him? If Oakland wants to give him up

for cheap why not take a shot?

Think about this for a second. A lot of people in here wanted to pay him about ten million before the season started and now maybe we can get him for about three million. Remember the outrage in here when we didn't sign him?

Maybe I missed it, but I don't remember a lot of outrage over not giving Johnson a 10 million dollar contract. I seem to remember a bit more discussion when the Balfour signing fell through. Personally, I thought moving Johnson was a good move at the time. While he performed well in the closer's role for the Orioles, he dropped off last year and was obviously cost prohibitive. I would not trade for him, however, I would be open to giving him a minor league deal if he is released. My guess is that the A's will DFA Johnson soon and that he will be moved to another MLB team. I hope that the change of scenery does him good. Overall, I don't see the Orioles as a good fit for Johnson in this scenario.

Archived