A's may be willing to eat most of Jim Johnson's contract in a trade. Should O's consider? (DFA)

mdbdotcom

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I will believe Johnson can be effective again when I see it, so under no circumstances should the Os bring him back and hope he can contribute if given a non-closer role.

The prescription for Johnson at this point seems like he needs to go on to pitch in a different league where he can leave behind any lingering pressure of failing on the biggest stage. Play internationally, Jim. That doesn't mean he wouldn't have all that pressure thrust upon him the moment he comes back to the MLB, but it would atleast be a way for him to exorcise whatever demons possess his talents.

I don't understand where your analysis is coming from. Jim Johnson has been a successful pitcher under pressure over his career. What makes you think his problems this year have anything to do with being under pressure?

They have limited slots for foreign born players in the NPB and KBO. I can't think of any examples of teams using them for a relief pitcher.

Dennis Sarfate and Scott Mathieson are among the NPB leaders in saves this year. Another pitcher named Michael Crotta, who briefly pitched for Pittsburgh in '11, also has four saves for Nippon Ham.

In 2012 Kam Mickolio had 21 saves for Hiroshima.

Foreign relievers in Japan seem to be common.

Dennis Sarfate and Scott Mathieson are among the NPB leaders in saves this year. Another pitcher named Michael Crotta, who briefly pitched for Pittsburgh in '11, also has four saves for Nippon Ham.

In 2012 Kam Mickolio had 21 saves for Hiroshima.

Foreign relievers in Japan seem to be common.

Good to know. They don't get the press on Twitter that some of the other folks do.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Sources say <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Orioles?src=hash">#Orioles</a> & <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Athletics?src=hash">#Athletics</a> talked about a Balt reunion for Jim Johnson a few weeks ago but Orioles ultimately decided against it</p>— Jayson Stark (@jaysonst) <a href="
">July 21, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

That's good. IMO

I don't understand where your analysis is coming from. Jim Johnson has been a successful pitcher under pressure over his career. What makes you think his problems this year have anything to do with being under pressure?

My own personal theory. I see him as a shell of his former self, and I think: he doesn't believe in himself and/or his stuff isn't very good anymore. One probably leading to the other.

Last year he pitched in 70.1 innings compared to 40.1 this year, yet is pretty close to giving up as many hits while already giving up more runs and walks. These stats seem to reflect what the eye sees: a guy who is not getting it done. If it was/is a mechanics issue, I think its originating in his head.

Whatever happened before last year, to me, means very little today if the question is "should we add Jim Johnson to this team". If he rebounds to save 40 games next year than I will be happy to consider him a "comeback player" but I don't think its going to happen and I don't want the Os to sacrifice any prospects or space on this year's roster to find out.

There really are not many opportunities for Anglos to play for money throughout the world.

I had to stare at this post for quite a while trying to figure out what the owner had to do with it until I realized you said Anglos and not Angelos.

Minor league deal next spring with opt out and have him try becoming a starter.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well if his stuff isn't working the bp, it won't be working in the starting rotation...

but I would love to have him back on a mIL deal.

JJ was hitting 96 mph against us. Sinker or not, that velocity should play well as a reliever. He has Tommy Hunter syndrome where great stuff somehow is very hittable. I think mentally, he came up in the O's system, and is from the east coat. They sent him to Oakland, and it was way outside his comfort zone. He likely has a combination of mental things, tipping his pitches, and a mechanics that need to be fixed. Do I mess with it for half a season in a pennant race this year? Likely not. Do I sign him to a minor league deal next year however...very possibly.

Poor JJ.... what a fall from grace.

A's just released him according to MLBTR....

He is a guy I would consider bringing in next year. There was a time he was a pretty successful reliever and his stuff still looks decent. Might be worth a look next season and seeing if he can be a reclamation project.

Archived