A's may be willing to eat most of Jim Johnson's contract in a trade. Should O's consider? (DFA)

mdbdotcom

Cespedes hits 2 HRs, A's hold off Astros 9-7

Johnson entered with the A's leading 9-2 in the eighth. He gave up four runs - three earned - without recording an out to spark Houston's five-run inning. He has a 6.92 ERA and left to a smattering of boos again.

''It's tough, because you root for a guy like that,'' said A's shortstop Jed Lowrie, who hit his fifth homer. ''He's working really hard. Sometimes this game isn't fair.'

Chris Carter doubled to center, Jos? Altuve scored, Jason Castro to third HOU 3 - OAK 9

Marc Krauss singled to center, Jason Castro scored, Chris Carter to third HOU 4 - OAK 9

Jon Singleton safe at first on third baseman Josh Donaldson's throwing error, Chris Carter scored, Marc Krauss to second HOU 5 - OAK 9

Robbie Grossman singled to shallow left center, Marc Krauss scored, Jon Singleton to third HOU 6 - OAK 9

Kike Hern?ndez singled to shallow right, Jon Singleton scored, Robbie Grossman to third HOU 7 - OAK 9

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Prior to be DFA'd

Clark Spencer of the Miami Herald reports that the Marlins "remain interested" in Jim Johnson.

Advice: The Marlins nearly completed a deal for Johnson last month before opting for Bryan Morris instead. However, it appears they haven't given up on acquiring the struggling former closer, with Spencer saying the club has discussed sending pitching prospect Adam Conley to Oakland for the reliever. Johnson holds a 6.25 ERA with 23 walks in 40 innings this season and is making $10 million. The A's will have to pick up the bulk of the remainder of his contract in any trade.

I would let him clear waivers so the A's are responsible for all of his salary and then sign him to a minor league contract. If he does well at Norfolk, I would promote him to the O's pen. Not as a closer, just as a reliever.

The prorated cost for the rest of the year would be under 160K by the time he makes it to the majors.

I would let him clear waivers so the A's are responsible for all of his salary and then sign him to a minor league contract. If he does well at Norfolk, I would promote him to the O's pen. Not as a closer, just as a reliever.

The prorated cost for the rest of the year would be under 160K by the time he makes it to the majors.

No way.

He's not (wasn't) a closer now in Oak. Its not about closing being too much for JJ, its about getting guys out. He was on his way to blowing a 7-run lead in the 8th against the Astros last night (recording no outs).

Stay away until 2015, at the earliest.

No way.

He's not (wasn't) a closer now in Oak. Its not about closing being too much for JJ, its about getting guys out. He was on his way to blowing a 7-run lead in the 8th against the Astros last night (recording no outs).

I can't see JJ magically getting together for a stretch drive this year. Especially for a team in a playoff race without the ability to give him wiggle room to have ups and downs.

I could see JJ being a productive bullpen arm with an offseason to put behind the disaster that was this season. If DD brought him in next year to compete for a spot I would be fine with that but I just do not see how JJ is much of an upgrade over what we currently have given his performance levels this season

He is so mentally broken at this point I wouldn't even sign him for League Minimum. Best of luck to the team that does.

That's silly. I was the biggest JJ hater on here last year but that's silly.

The board of two extremes: no moderate views:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No way.

If Jim Johnson goes to Norfolk, Grif will straighten him out. Jim has always been a good pitcher. He just had too much success and got promoted to be a closer making 10M per year. As just a reliever out of the pen he could be a real asset after Grif gets his head and mechanic straighten out.

I can't see JJ magically getting together for a stretch drive this year. Especially for a team in a playoff race without the ability to give him wiggle room to have ups and downs.

I could see JJ being a productive bullpen arm with an offseason to put behind the disaster that was this season. If DD brought him in next year to compete for a spot I would be fine with that but I just do not see how JJ is much of an upgrade over what we currently have given his performance levels this season

He doesn't have to be an upgrade over what the O's have. Send him to Norfolk. Get him pitching well, then bring him up when the rosters expand in Sept. JJ was a good pitcher for a long time with the O's. There is no one who would be better at getting back on track then the O's organization.

Archived