A.J. Burnett

Greg

True but they handed a lot of NTC out before they got to 10/5.

I think that speaks more to their hubris at the time. You know Amaro thought there was no way he'd ever have to move any of them, so he said sure I'll give you a NTC, just lower your price slightly.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think he meant he doesn't understand how the Phillie FO could be so free in handing them out.
The one saving grace in this trade might be the fact that their GM is an idiot.

I thought this was pretty much a given and would explain just about everything.

He may be able to pitch the extra inning or so in the NL, but he faces a pitcher at least two times during that stretch. So, does he really do much more than an AL pitcher does?

I don't care for the man. Wants to pitch close to home, and yet apparently not too close. I never liked his body language on the mound with the Yanks (and I hate the Yanks). He just doesn't seem like a "team" guy, more like it's about "me".

Not saying I'm not biased, but I would be happier without him. He's not enough of an upgrade and to give up any decent B prospect is not worth it.

An extra 2/3 of an inning every 5 (or 6) days isn't going to make much of a difference.

The only thing I will say about Burnett is that his GB rate is about 50%. With this infield, that would give him a chance to seriously outperform his peripherals. If you are getting the other team to hit the ball in the direction of Hardy, Machado, and Schoop 1 out of every 2 times, you are probably going to have success.

The only thing I will say about Burnett is that his GB rate is about 50%. With this infield' date=' that would give him a chance to seriously outperform his peripherals. If you are getting the other team to hit the ball in the direction of Hardy, Machado, and Schoop 1 out of every 2 times, you are probably going to have success.[/quote']

Which is part of the reason I wanted the O's to overpay for him in the offseason.

Who does he replace? The O's have six erratic starters already.

Is he likely to be enough of an upgrade to be worth the disruption? The walk rate has me concerned.

I think so relative to Gonzo or Norris, but not relative to the prospects the Orioles would give up. I would have rather traded for Brandon McCarthy, and still would be interested in seeing if the Yankees would be willing to deal McCarthy.

I think so relative to Gonzo or Norris' date=' but not relative to the prospects the Orioles would give up. I would have rather traded for Brandon McCarthy, and still would be interested in seeing if the Yankees would be willing to deal McCarthy.[/quote']

Now that he had a good start? No way.

Yanks don't rebuild.

If he a significant enough improvement to warrant moving Chen or Gonzo to the 'pen? If a pitcher with a ~4.00 ERA coming out of the NL East would justify moving one of them, why hasn't one of them been moved already to give Gausman something other than an irregular rotation spot? Or are the O's considering sending one of Gonzo/Chen to Philly? Would that make sense for the O's? (I don't think so)

I really don't see the upside. No interest in Burnett.

This is my thinking. How much of an upgrade would he really be over Gonzo or Chen? To me its not enough to warrant what he'll cost. I really hope the Os don't trade for a veteran starter that is just a back-end of the type guy.

Archived