vs. MARINERS, 7/25

OFFNY

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think you will be too. Just not right now. He's hurting us.

Think he will be fine. His stats are not to out of line with many rookie 2B. Unless Utley wants to come not sure who else is available that is realistic. Tampa is not trading Zobrist to us if anyone

I'm with you Roy... he just looks like he's got "it"... he feels like a major league ballplayer to me. I love his defense, I like his power, I think the offensive numbers will steadly come up.

Of course I thought Larry Bigbie had "it" too, so what do I know?

Not to belittle your post about Schoop...

Bigbie HAD it till they started testing....

o

Billy Beane (Brad Pitt):

"If they want to bunt and give you an out, LET THEM give you an out. Don't be a hero and throw it to 2nd base. Take the sure out that they are giving you at 1st."

Hard ish to understand. Dead solid advise.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• Right now I see the pitching staff as.  Eflin, GRod, Suarez, Kremer and one of Povich, Rogers, McDermott and Young.  All of the 5th starters have options so they can be on the shuttle if needed.   Bradish and Wells may come back in the 2nd half. Pen:  Bautista, Cano, Coulombe, Dominguez, Soto, Akin, Perez, Webb and Bowman.   Yes that is 9 but someone is normally injured.   I will not be surprised if the O's protect Nick Anderson and bring him to camp in case of injuries.    Akin has an option next year. That is 20 pitchers. Will Elias look to improve over the winner? Sure but with the 5th starters being able to either start or be a long man in the pen the O's begin the off season with volume on the pitching staff.
    • If you're going to make this a WAR/OPS/OPS+ debate, sure, he's not the best offensive player right now.  But then again his power/speed combination makes him tough to beat. Best talent ever because of the ability to pitch, yes.  That's the point I was making.  Not only to pitch, but to be dominant on the hill, too.
    • I think Mullins is as set as the entire lineup, but he would have to go if Elias chased the Robert upgrade. Getz already navigated the 3-team thing when he wanted Dodgers Latin kids, and the Dodgers didn't feel Erick Fedde was the caliber of pitcher they wanted to deploy. I do like Santander as a Victor Martinez aficionado, but he and Kjerstad are both RF profiles and, holy Rio Ruiz Batman, the handpicked kid has to play.    This is one of those calculations where the 80% as good for 20% of the cost part is easy, even if Kjerstad never achieves the heights Santander is at now. There's still room to hope Kjerstad is all Santander is and more, but even if he isn't, the team needs the Santander salary slot repurposed to pitching more than it needs him. I think after this summer's moves, we got a fair bit of information if Elias is trading Cowser/Kjerstad for pitching...looking like he isn't.
    • I think you can argue he’s the best talent ever because of his ability to pitch. As an offensive player, he’s not the best player right now.
    • Age, body type, how he plays(strengths/weaknesses) and what we have depth at, in terms of high end talent, coming up behind him. And yes, we should be out on most key FAs because they are largely terrible investments.
    • I'd say that overall his defense has also been down this year.  
    • Your point is entirely valid. Just because Tony is better than Trumbo was means nothing, because Trumbo was a catastrophe. It was just beyond comprehension that they kept putting him in the field. That said, Santander is still ok. Diminished range, but a good glove and arm. However, they avoided the problem with Nelson Cruz in Seattle and Minnesota by just putting him designated hitter, so that’s a possibility for Santander, if he can maintain solid contact. But not here. Let’s take the pick and use it on pitching, please.
  • Popular Contributors