Andrew Miller Trade to Orioles

FlipCup

Quality for quality. This is basically adding in his prime BJ Ryan to our pen.

E-Rod arguably behind De La Rosa, Ranaudo, Owens and Webster among Boston young pitchers who are already advanced beyond where he is - no surer a bet to be good enough to break into future Boston rotation than ours, even if his development is mid-case outcome.

• Replies 699
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So, who goes down?

My guess is Brach, but it could be TJ, with Matusz assuming the long role.

I think TJ. He had the chance to take Matusz's job and couldn't do it. I think he goes down and comes back September 1st.

Nobody is crying over any one trade or signing. You trade this guy here' date=' and it's "it's okay, he's just in low A." Then you sign this guy and lose your first rounder and say, "it's okay, it's just the first rounder for this year." And you slowly make a bunch of moves, they all add up, and then one day you say, "what the hell happened to our farm system? And what did we really give it away for? A puncher's chance in the playoffs?"[/quote']

Every round of playoffs brings additional revenues, both now, and in future years. That money can and should be used to bolster future teams and make up for the minor losses you used to help get to the playoffs.

Plus, you didn't trade the prospects most likely to be impacts, so they help you get there next year.

One other thought: Bullpen guys are seasonal anyway that is why they are in the BP. Miller very well could go back to Boston next year for $3-4 million and implode. This isn't paying a high price for a sure thing next year that is playing for somebody else.

So, who goes down?

I think we see Matusz exit, even if there is no return for him. Then either Brach or TJ is sent down when Jimenez comes back. I'm not worried about losing Matusz for nothing.

I think TJ. He had the chance to take Matusz's job and couldn't do it. I think he goes down and comes back September 1st.

That's something to remember. We can swap TJ and Brach until September 1st when they come back up anyway.

Nobody is crying over any one trade or signing. You trade this guy here' date=' and it's "it's okay, he's just in low A." Then you sign this guy and lose your first rounder and say, "it's okay, it's just the first rounder for this year." And you slowly make a bunch of moves, they all add up, and then one day you say, "what the hell happened to our farm system? And what did we really give it away for? A puncher's chance in the playoffs?"[/quote']

Actually, I think the Orioles are better positioned throughout their organization than they have been in 30 years. The Cruz signing for the draft pick was worthwhile. Verdict is out of Jimenez, but they took the chance to win this year. Same with the Miller trade. Get to the ALCS and go from there. look out Tigers, the orioles can go toe-to-toe with you.

I'm noticing this also. Specifically one with a 4.55 ERA at AA and hasn't done anything above Delmarva.

Yup. I think it's because he has been mentioned as one of our top prospects. But lets be honest, he is not even a top 100 prospect anymore.

Simply put, it's the price you have to pay to get quality in return. Props to Dan for getting it done. It's a reasonable cost and it bolsters the team's confidence that much more going forward. As far as ERod, tomorrow isn't guaranteed. Prospects are only that, prospects. Plus the minor league system isn't looking that bad with guys like Davies, Wilson and Berry starting to emerge. He was expendable, and just because ERod was traded none of us should be hoping that he doesn't amount to anything. That's bad karma.

What everything boils down to is this, no one is going to want to face our bullpen.

Here's the thing, Miller will be doing Matusz's role. There's no telling that Matusz can do McFarland's role. I don't think Matusz is safe.

So, who goes down?

I would prefer to keep all of them and just trade Matusz for a PTBNL or cash. The 'P' could really be anything. A Player, a Potato, or a Pepsi, whatever.

Archived