Andrew Miller Trade to Orioles

FlipCup

The trade in a vaccum is fine, what I do not like is Rodriguez going to the Red Soxs. If he is good we will be reminded about this year after year. If he went to the cubs and we saw him once every 3 years it doesn't hurt as much. Still all in all we gave up a future lottery ticket for a sure seasonal upgrade. It is how the game is played.

• Replies 699
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Who do you think we could have gotten?

Hard to say. I don't know what was available. But, waiting until the offseason gives us a better chance of getting value. This wouldn't be quite as bad if he wasn't a FA, but this is just maddening, IMO.

Do you pick fights with everyone on here? Amazing.
Depends on the stupidity they post. Hence the reason you make the list.Didn't I ask the two of you the other day to take it offline? I don't ask three times

ETA

Enough.

Never assume the moderation is done only online and not also offline via infractions or warnings. Offline is where you two need to take this squabble BTW. Also, don't criticize the mods again. Capisce?

It seems a steep price, but there are only so many prospects we have that we can tell another team they can't have and still acquire a very, very productive reliever like Miller. If we were dealing a player with Miller's productivity, I think we would hope for someone better than EdRod. Maybe our FO will send Miller down for 15 days and we can get another year of service out of him .... ha ha.

This move is fairly necessary IMO and speaks volumes of the lack of production this year from Matusz and Hunter relative to expectations.

I'd also like to see us acquire a 2B, but our production is so little at 2B that IMO we can wait into August to see if either of our guys improves his production or we just acquire some salary dump with incrementally better 2B production.

Which player? Just because you think you should get more for a particular prospect doesn't mean the other team(s) want to trade you the players they want. Would i have liked more? Sure. But this is pretty good. And I'm not crying over losing a prospect when the Orioles look to have other starting pitching prospects they clearly like more than ERod.

Nobody is crying over any one trade or signing. You trade this guy here, and it's "it's okay, he's just in low A." Then you sign this guy and lose your first rounder and say, "it's okay, it's just the first rounder for this year." And you slowly make a bunch of moves, they all add up, and then one day you say, "what the hell happened to our farm system? And what did we really give it away for? A puncher's chance in the playoffs?"

Then why aren't we acquiring a TOR pitcher? If we are truly all in this year' date=' then we aren't we actually going all in? It doesn't make sense, and all you end up with is a middle ground team and a weaker future.[/quote']

Are we really calling a team that's 14 games above .500 and leading the East as July fades a middle-ground team?

Honestly, the O's don't have the pieces to get a TOR guy. They'd have to clean house, and include Gausman in the deal, to boot. And he's already one of the more effective starting pitching options they have. They legitimately couldn't afford to get involved in the TOR talks.

Instead, they got a fantastic relief pitcher that makes the back-end of the bullpen about as steady as they can get it. Will be a very valuable thing to have as the season winds down.

Then why aren't we acquiring a TOR pitcher? If we are truly all in this year' date=' then we aren't we actually going all in? It doesn't make sense, and all you end up with is a middle ground team and a weaker future.[/quote']

You keep talking about being a Tier II team and a middle ground team. Last time I checked we have been in 1st place in the East for a month and are in the middle of kicking some serious ass of three teams contending for the playoffs...one or two of which I'm sure you'd call a Tier I team. Not sure what you're looking for here? Should we fold up camp and lie down for the big bad Tigers?

ERod will never play in Fenway. The only way lefties survive there is if they have dominant stuff. He will not hurt us in the future.

It's actually not unlikely he ends up a lefty in Red Sox pen in four years. Circle of life.

Nobody is crying over any one trade or signing. You trade this guy here' date=' and it's "it's okay, he's just in low A." Then you sign this guy and lose your first rounder and say, "it's okay, it's just the first rounder for this year." And you slowly make a bunch of moves, they all add up, and then one day you say, "what the hell happened to our farm system? And what did we really give it away for? [b']A puncher's chance in the playoffs[/b]?"

That's all anyone ever gets in the playoffs. That's why they play the game.

Exactly. We aren't going for it. It's moves that don't really move the needle this year' date=' and provide little cuts to our future. It's probably the worst way you can go about it. Go for it or hold serve. One or the other.[/quote']

No, I think it's much worse to have an organizational philosophy that requires an on/off switch. Either do everything or nothing!! There are no middle grounds!!

Nothing wrong with incremental improvements that leave the core intact to build on in the future.

I don't think anyone would give a TOR for ERod. or Berry or davies or Bridwell. So now your're faced with trading harvey or Bundy. That means I'd want control beyond this year on that TOR you are referring to. Now, which TORs current teams want to trade for our most prized prospects? Tampa? Philadelphia? Who else is a TOR on the block?

Archived