Was ERod too much for Andrew Miller

isestrex

ERod for Miller  

224 members have voted

1. 1. ERod for Miller

• It's a steal
    • I'm fine with that price but I'll miss him.
    • Too much: worried about only 2 months of Miller vs a long career of ERod

I would have said no to the trade, unless I had more value in return. He will have to be lights out, including clutch holds in playoffs and World Series wins for this to be OK. If he does that, then I am OK, but where I sit right now, I wouldn't have pulled this particular trigger.

Might be the first time I've ever heard "clutch holds".

It's been a long time since I've thought EdRod would ever help in the majors. Miller is a great pitcher and relievers are extremely important in the playoffs. Maybe we could've gotten more but I'm not too sad about what we lost and I'm happy about what we got.

So some people say it's too soon to tell if this was a win. Yet some people say don't trade Harvey or Bundy because they are going to be good. How is it to early to tell on one but not the other?

Some people like this trade. We give up our third or fourth best minor league pitcher for a reliever and ppl like it.

Yet the same ppl think trading a pitcher coming off TJ ( Bundy) would have been dumb to trade for Samardizja or Lester....Ridiculous.

So some people say it's too soon to tell if this was a win. Yet some people say don't trade Harvey or Bundy because they are going to be good. How is it to early to tell on one but not the other?

Some people like this trade. We give up our third or fourth best minor league pitcher for a reliever and ppl like it.

Yet the same ppl think trading a pitcher coming off TJ ( Bundy) would have been dumb to trade for Samardizja or Lester....Ridiculous.

Fair point.

I'm one of those people. And it is all about evaluating ceiling. I think Bundy is still a high floor, pretty high ceiling guy. I've gone to watch Eduardo in person and talked with those evaluating him. I liked him a lot. I've watched him side by side with TIm Berry. Honestly, I do not know which one will be better. It might be Berry. Andrew Miller is not just "a reliever." If I could have gotten Samardizja or Lester for Rodriguez and Davies, I would have gladly thrown in Yastrzemski

I don't think it's quite so ridiculous when you believe that there is a significant gap between Bundy/Gausman/Harvey and Rodriguez.

While I understand why the move was made, I can't say I'm a fan of sending a young lefty with MOR upside and 6 or 7 years of team control to a division rival for 2 months of a relief pitcher. If Miller is anything but lights-out for us, we may end up regretting this deal for quite a few years. Fingers crossed.

Pretty big gap between Lester/Price and Miller, no?

Not so certain. It might turn out to be closer than you might think. At least for the next three months. I don't recall hitting Miller. I do recall getting fortunate against Lester and Price.

Of course. But I don't think it's too inconsistent to be okay with Rodriguez for eight weeks of Miller, but not so okay with Bundy for eight weeks of Lester. A little less of a bump this year, a lot less risk going forward.

Agreed. A lot will come down to how Miller is used, as well. Hopefully Baltimore gets him lots of innings (but obviously not so much that he loses effectiveness).

I understand about the upside of our young guys. But what I don't understand is when we have a handfull of them, why can't we trade one if it gets a star type pitcher when we are on the brink of seasonrwe haven't seen for years.

The past couple of years I was very optimistic that Buck and DD were guys who were about making the moves to get to where we want to be. We are finally in a position to make a move maybe two from giving us the best chance to reach the goal. Instead, we do nothing.