vs. RAYS, 8/26

OFFNY

• Replies 814
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So it will be more about old fart seniority umpires in NY's biases than the umpire's calls on the field. Not to mention the inevitable delays and the already stupid pseudostrategy that has evolved...Does the manager challenge or not? Let me stand out here next to the umpire while my video guy tells me what to do. What is the video guy on my team signalling? Can I save my challenge by getting a bogus crew chief call? Is it the eighth inning, I have used up my challenge and now it doesnt matter if the call is right or not because I don't get a challenge. Hey, the technology is down again, can somebody wake up NY? I hate the challenges in football and I detest them in baseball.

I agree that the procedures and "strategy" around it are silly, but they are necessary to prevent a manager from challenging every single play that's even marginally close. You have to put some significance behind it so that managers can't just make frivolous challenges 27+ times a game (challenge every out you make, and challenge each time the opponent takes a base). You have to have some kind of penalty for losing a challenge (namely, that you can't do it again). I'm not sure why the inning limit on "insisting" a challenge exists at all, but in practice, it isn't really enforced; I've seen crew chiefs being EXTREMELY willing to oblige managers who "request" a challenge after the 8th, if it was close.

It's the first year of replay; give it a chance. Unless you have ADHD and can't stand the slightest delay in the game (in which case, why do you watch as slow of a sport as baseball to begin with?), there are really very few downsides. The biases won't be allowed to stand. It's possible that it's just luck, but in case it's not, it'll be addressed. Worst case, they'll distribute umps around the country and randomly pick some when a review is requested. Something like that.

Just because something has unwieldy rules doesn't mean that the idea is bad. They need to better execute their vision of what the replay review system is supposed to do. I think it'll be fine in the long run.

Archived