vs. RAYS, 8/26

OFFNY

• Replies 814
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I agree that the procedures and "strategy" around it are silly, but they are necessary to prevent a manager from challenging every single play that's even marginally close. You have to put some significance behind it so that managers can't just make frivolous challenges 27+ times a game (challenge every out you make, and challenge each time the opponent takes a base). You have to have some kind of penalty for losing a challenge (namely, that you can't do it again). I'm not sure why the inning limit on "insisting" a challenge exists at all, but in practice, it isn't really enforced; I've seen crew chiefs being EXTREMELY willing to oblige managers who "request" a challenge after the 8th, if it was close.

It's the first year of replay; give it a chance. Unless you have ADHD and can't stand the slightest delay in the game (in which case, why do you watch as slow of a sport as baseball to begin with?), there are really very few downsides. The biases won't be allowed to stand. It's possible that it's just luck, but in case it's not, it'll be addressed. Worst case, they'll distribute umps around the country and randomly pick some when a review is requested. Something like that.

Just because something has unwieldy rules doesn't mean that the idea is bad. They need to better execute their vision of what the replay review system is supposed to do. I think it'll be fine in the long run.

We have had this discussion in other threads. We can just disagree. I do not believe the process is going to improve, it will inherently involve delays and even more pseudostrategy as it goes from year to year. Saying that it will improve, just give it a chance is just the pro-video apologist argument. Just like other creative arts, I prefer not to have more technology, more commercials, more delays inserted into the activity and, unlike the vast majority on this board, I believe umpiring at the major league level is a tremendous skill that very few people can do and I prefer to leave it on the field, not in the hands of MLB NY.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We have had this discussion in other threads. We can just disagree. I do not believe the process is going to improve, it will inherently involve delays and even more pseudostrategy as it goes from year to year. Saying that it will improve, just give it a chance is just the pro-video apologist argument. Just like other creative arts, I prefer not to have more technology, more commercials, more delays inserted into the activity and, unlike the vast majority on this board, I believe umpiring at the major league level is a tremendous skill that very few people can do and I prefer to leave it on the field, not in the hands of MLB NY.

And we will never have any more Earl Weaver, entertaining rhubarbs..so my grandchild will never know what a baseball rhubarb is, will never even see one. No more bases being pulled out, dirt being tossed, nothing. No more arguments, dear, we have video that tells us the truth.

Archived