Schoop Slowly But Surely Getting It

brianod

And whom exactly would the O's have obtained that was an upgrade?

Cano?

If you have not noticed there is a serious dearth of +2WAR second baseman right now.

Look at this.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/stats/batting/_/position/2b/sort/WARBR/order/true

Guess who is currently 13th in MLB?

And making the league minimum.

Getting 2 win production out of someone making 500K is an above average ROI.

But, but Roberts!

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Kingpin_04.gif

What a douchebag. What you don't get about my comment about Miguel and Schoop is that I think there is a realistic chance that those guys can stay hot for the rest of the way. When guys like Joseph, Flaherty, and even Pearce and Young get hot, I feel like it's only temporary. So yeah, I'll stand by both of my comments (re: Schoop & Gonzo and that you're a giant delta bravo).

And whom exactly would the O's have obtained that was an upgrade?

Cano?

If you have not noticed there is a serious dearth of +2WAR second baseman right now.

Look at this.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/stats/batting/_/position/2b/sort/WARBR/order/true

Guess who is currently 13th in MLB?

And making the league minimum.

Getting 2 win production out of someone making 500K is an above average ROI.

I'm not saying how the O's handled 2B this year was wrong. Staying with Schoop all year was fine all things considered. I just don't think that Schoop's performance as of late has proven that it was definitively the best course compared to the alternative. There were/are pros and cons to both.

What a douchebag. What you don't get about my comment about Miguel and Schoop is that I think there is a realistic chance that those guys can stay hot for the rest of the way. When guys like Joseph, Flaherty, and even Pearce and Young get hot, I feel like it's only temporary. So yeah, I'll stand by both of my comments (re: Schoop & Gonzo and that you're a giant delta bravo).

Waittttt, so you AREN'T hoping anybody cools down?

I'm not saying how the O's handled 2B this year was wrong. Staying with Schoop all year was fine all things considered. I just don't think that Schoop's performance as of late has proven that it was definitively the best course compared to the alternative. There were/are pros and cons to both.

So who would have been a better choice?

And I agree with this. I don't like that early on I got the impression Schoop was emulating the approach of Jones at the plate because they bonded in ST or Buck gave Adam a speech about taking Schoop under his wing.

I love Adam and I've gotten used to the idea that his approach works fine for him, but I sure as ****take don't want him passing on that approach to our young players.

It may have benefited Schoop to go down earlier in the season but he might not have been challenged like he was here. And I think by all accounts you would have to say he has learned on the job. So, after all, since we have been winning wasn't that the intended goal with no better options?

I was struck by the brief meeting Schoop had with Frank Robinson in which Robinson told him, "You own the first two strikes in every at bat." Meaning don't give those pitches away, make em count.

Seems to me that's what he's been doing lately.

And I agree with this. I don't like that early on I got the impression Schoop was emulating the approach of Jones at the plate because they bonded in ST or Buck had Adam give him Adam of taking Schoop under his wing.

I love Adam and I've gotten used to the idea that his approach works fine for him, but I sure as ****take don't want him passing on that approach to our young players.

It may have benefited Schoop to go down earlier in the season but he might not have been challenged like he was here. And I think by all accounts you would have to say he has learned on the job. So, after all, since we have been winning wasn't that the intended goal with no better options?

I was struck by the brief meeting Schoop had with Frank Robinson in which Robinson told him, "You own the first two strikes in every at bat." Meaning don't give those pitches away, make em count.

Seems to me that's what he's been doing lately.

It helps that pitchers keep missing high.

Markakis? Of course. But also more dingers than:

Matt Adams

Robinson Cano

Josh Harrison

Ian Kinsler

Jonathan Lucroy

Yasiel Puig

Hanley Ramirez

Chase Utley

...among others.

Higher OBP than:

Nate Schierholtz

Junior Lake

Mike Zunino

and no others... far more telling. His defense is good and it makes him bascially an average starter. However, anyone pretending his offense has been anything other than bad is lying to themselves.

Archived