Interesting note from MLB Trade rumors

joeride

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1298&dat=19880730&id=uf9NAAAAIBAJ&sjid=1osDAAAAIBAJ&pg=6823,5982297

<quote>"We're not concerned about Brady Anderson becoming a great player," General Manager Lou Gorman of the Red Sox said. "We're concerned about winning the pennant."</quote>

These are always the kind of comments you see when it comes to trading major league talent for prospects. I just hope this doesn't become the Red Sox revenge for that Brady Anderson trade...

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1298&dat=19880730&id=uf9NAAAAIBAJ&sjid=1osDAAAAIBAJ&pg=6823,5982297

<quote>"We're not concerned about Brady Anderson becoming a great player," General Manager Lou Gorman of the Red Sox said. "We're concerned about winning the pennant."</quote>

These are always the kind of comments you see when it comes to trading major league talent for prospects. I just hope this doesn't become the Red Sox revenge for that Brady Anderson trade...

They also gave up Schilling in that 1988 trade, but in the three years they had Boddicker he went 39-22 for them and they won the AL East pennant twice.

Brady didn't play more than 89 games in a season until 1991. He didn't become an everyday player until the next season, at age 28. Schilling didn't get on track until 1992, when he was 25 and playing for the Phillies after being traded by the Orioles and the Astros.

I doubt anyone in Boston is looking for revenge for that trade. They lost in the ALCS both times they got there with Boddicker, but at least they got there.

It will only concern me IF we don't re-sign Miller. IF we do re-sign him the trade still favors our O's.

Don't really understand this rationale. The trade only matters this season. He could have been signed as a free agent this winter which means the trade has no impact.

This trade has plenty of potential to suck for the Orioles in the future. And it is doubtful that Miller is resigned.

Re-signing him has nothing to do with the trade. We only traded for his use this season.

It matters a lot. A player has far more value based on how long you have them... If we resign him for 3 years, then we'd likely end up getting more value out of the deal then what we gave up. But for only 2-3 months, its pretty lopsided in the Red Sox favor.

It matters a lot. A player has far more value based on how long you have them... If we resign him for 3 years, then we'd likely end up getting more value out of the deal then what we gave up. But for only 2-3 months, its pretty lopsided in the Red Sox favor.

But if EdRod suffers a career ending injury the Red Sox got the short end of the stick? Makes no sense at all.

But what is to assume that you couldn't have signed him as a free agent?

Winning organizations take gambles. If we don't see another AL East title until 2028, I am going to be glad we traded for Miller. So far he has been nothing short of spectacular. I'll take that guy over a guy putting up good AA numbers every day of the week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This will concern me when Eduardo Rodriguez actually becomes a ML average or better pitcher. You'll have to excuse me for not getting overly excited about 37 innings that he pitched with Boston. There are thousands and thousands of can't miss pitchers who ooops. Missed.

This will concern me when Eduardo Rodriguez actually becomes a ML average or better pitcher. You'll have to excuse me for not getting overly excited about 37 innings that he pitched with Boston. There are thousands and thousands of can't miss pitchers who ooops. Missed.

Jeff Ballard started out 8-1 and was 10-4 in July. In the Majors.

I'm talking mainly from a WAR kinda perspective. You might get 1 WAR from a 1 year rental player, while giving up 6 years worth of controlled WAR from a prospect. It barely ever comes out looking pretty.

It makes it even worse in this case since with our big lead, getting Miller for the regular season doesn't matter at all, so for the trade to be worth it he'd need to have a significant post season and be the deciding factor in some games.

We had a 1.5 game lead at the time of the trade. Our lead is a little bigger now. Maybe Miller contributed some to that increase in our lead?

10 years down the line, trading top 100 prospects for one year rentals almost always turns out bad, so I can't say I'm really happy with the trade still. Miller better be the difference between winning a playoff series and not.

I would dispute "almost always".

Look at when Texas picked up Cliff Lee for half a season from Seattle. He provided 1.4 WAR *and* helped pitch them into the World Series for the first time in the 40+ year history of their franchise.

Seattle got Matt Lawson (now almost 29 and never yet in the majors), Justin Smoak (1.3 career WAR for Seattle, Blake Beaven (-1.3 career WAR for Seattle), and Josh Lueke (-0.3 career WAR for Seattle). Smoak was the top 100 prospect in that deal. He might wind up having more career value for Seattle than Lee did for Texas, but unless he plays a key role in them making the World Series, I don't see how you can call that one bad for Texas.

Angels got Mark Teixiera, who had a great half season for them, for Casey Kotchman, who has turned out to be a borderline major league player at most.

Brewers got CC Sabathia for a half season for a bunch of guys, the centerpiece being Matt LaPorta. LaPorta is now approaching 30 and has been worse than replacement in the majors (and none of the other guys have amounted to anything). Sabathia went 11-2 and helped the Brewers end a quarter century playoff drought.

I wouldn't say that turns out bad.

Archived