Leaving out Kevin Gausman from the PO rotation not smart

Oriolesallday

Why would you want him pitching less?

Shouldn't you try and keep the better players on the field as much as possible?

Yeah but Gausman isn't better than Tillman, Chen, Norris or Gonzo. If you have actually watched him pitch you should easily see that. He is better than Ubaldo but that is it. He walks too many hitters, throws too many pitches and is terrible when he has runners on base and when he doesn't get a first pitch strike. I surely don't want to rely on a pitcher with such major flaws to start in a playoff game. Yet some here think they are smarter than Buck in naming him to the playoff rotation. Just a stupid idea IMO.

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah but Gausman isn't better than Tillman, Chen, Norris or Gonzo. If you have actually watched him pitch you should easily see that. He is better than Ubaldo but that is it. He walks too many hitters, throws too many pitches and is terrible when he has runners on base and when he doesn't get a first pitch strike. I surely don't want to rely on a pitcher with such major flaws to start in a playoff game. Yet some here think they are smarter than Buck in naming him to the playoff rotation. Just a stupid idea IMO.

So I don't watch the games eh?

That is your current delusion?

Think you might want to check the dosage on the meds.

I didn't read the article but I would go Tillman, Chen, Gonzo & Norris with Gaumsan in the pen UNLESS there is some crazy bad matchup, which could occur since we aren't 100% sure who we are playing as of yet.

Agree. KG will be clutch out of the bullpen i like what he did in all of the big showcase games he pitched in late this year. Plus it gives us more flexability to pull Chen or Gonzo after 5 if they're tired.

It's a tough call. I feel that on a day when Gausman has his command and everything is working, he can be the best pitcher on our staff.

However, I feel that several of the other guys, most notably Gonzo, are able to go out there and give you a respectable game on days where they DON'T have their best command.

So to me, Gausman has a higher ceiling, but also a lower floor, than just about anybody on the staff. What is more important in a Game 4 starter? Ceiling, or less variability? Damned if I know.

It's a tough call. I feel that on a day when Gausman has his command and everything is working, he can be the best pitcher on our staff.

However, I feel that several of the other guys, most notably Gonzo, are able to go out there and give you a respectable game on days where they DON'T have their best command.

So to me, Gausman has a higher ceiling, but also a lower floor, than just about anybody on the staff. What is more important in a Game 4 starter? Ceiling, or less variability? Damned if I know.

Ceiling. Ceiling. Ceiling. But that's just me.

I'll be fine with whichever direction they go but I have to say I am real curious to see what Kevin is capable of under a playoff atmosphere.

I think he has the potential to really impress us this October, despite seeming to cool off from that hot stretch he put together during the second half.

So I don't watch the games eh?

That is your current delusion?

Think you might want to check the dosage on the meds.

Your the one who is deluded or else if you do watch Gausman pitch have no idea of what you are watching if you think Buck is wrong in not having him in the starting playoff rotation. You do realize hitters are batting nearly 300 off him when he doesn't get a first pitch strike and he is awful when he has base runners ? He also has only two "out" pitches a fastball and change. If he doesn't have good command of both he is in big trouble. A great hitting team like the Tigers will give him

Big trouble and make him pay if he gets too much of the plate and with his frequent 3-2 counts he either walks people or us prone to giving up hit with runners on.

Your the one who is deluded or else if you do watch Gausman pitch have no idea of what you are watching if you think Buck is wrong in not having him in the starting playoff rotation. You do realize hitters are batting nearly 300 off him when he doesn't get a first pitch strike and he is awful when he has base runners ? He also has only two "out" pitches a fastball and change. If he doesn't have good command of both he is in big trouble. A great hitting team like the Tigers will give him

Big trouble and make him pay if he gets too much of the plate and with his frequent 3-2 counts he either walks people or us prone to giving up hit with runners on.

Too bad that.. NONE OF THE TIGERS HAVE AN EXTRA BASE HIT OFF OF HIM

HE GAVE UP ZERO WALKS IN HIS LAST START

Do you realize that on an 1-0 count hitters have a whopping 104 OPS+ against? When Norris has an 0-1 count on a hitter he is allowing a 119 OPS+! I guess that means Norris should throw the first pitch in the dirt?

Gausman is allowing an 88 OPS+ with runners on (83 w/RISP), that is right he is better with men on.

You know it might be worth debating you on issues if you ever actually had your facts straight.

But you don't, so I am done here.

I don't see him being better than any of the other pitchers in the rotation.

Not does anyone else with a modicum of knowledge of what makes Buck (who is way smarter in deciding on a rotation than anyone posting here) determine his starting rotation without Gausman in it really wasn't that tough of a decision.

Archived