Nlds (Giants vs. Nationals)

scOtt

It was kind of surprising that so many fans left, but... it was 6 1/2 hours and freakin' cold. I was at ALDS game 1 in 2012 with my 4-year-old, Sam. He had blast the first six or seven hours we were there in 48-degree rain. By 11 or he was shivering and up three hours past bedtime, and I heard the Yanks' victory on the radio somewhere around Bowie. I'm not ashamed at all, and if anyone calls me a bad fan you're an idiot.

And the Nats really do have an expansion fanbase. They had a 35-year gap. Nobody spent the 70s and 80s and 90s living and dying with the Nats because they didn't exist. Kids around DC didn't have pops take them to the game at the age of 5, not unless they went an hour up the road. It really does take generations to mature a fan base.

True. Fair points.

• Replies 598
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Optics

Re: National League Division Series, Game 2

? Reply #2139: Today at 01:29:36 AM ?

I don't know what it is, something about this city just creates losers.

Harper, #1 pick all the hype. If he went to like the Rangers or Brewers he'd be a megastar by now.

RG3, Heisman Trophy winner, awesome rookie year, now his career is basically shot in not even 3 years.

Ovie, best hockey talent in a generation, can't get past the 2nd round and has been leapfrogged by Crosby, Kane, etc.

But John Wall is a bona fide superstar!

It was kind of surprising that so many fans left, but... it was 6 1/2 hours and freakin' cold. I was at ALDS game 1 in 2012 with my 4-year-old, Sam. He had blast the first six or seven hours we were there in 48-degree rain. By 11 or he was shivering and up three hours past bedtime, and I heard the Yanks' victory on the radio somewhere around Bowie. I'm not ashamed at all, and if anyone calls me a bad fan you're an idiot.

And the Nats really do have an expansion fanbase. They had a 35-year gap. Nobody spent the 70s and 80s and 90s living and dying with the Nats because they didn't exist. Kids around DC didn't have pops take them to the game at the age of 5, not unless they went an hour up the road. It really does take generations to mature a fan base.

This. I don't get the demonization of the fans for leaving a playoff game that was the longest in history by nearly an hour on the first really cold night of the year.

This. I don't get the demonization of the fans for leaving a playoff game that was the longest in history by nearly an hour on the first really cold night of the year.

Because fans of (insert team here) are the best in the world and if (insert name of dude on the internet from Des Moines who kind of watched the game and flipped back and forth to Seinfeld reruns from his sofa) had been there he'd have stayed 33 innings if he had to, even if it was in the middle of a (insert really terrible weather condition here).

Because fans of (insert team here) are the best in the world and if (insert name of dude on the internet from Des Moines who kind of watched the game and flipped back and forth to Seinfeld reruns from his sofa) had been there he'd have stayed 33 innings if he had to, even if it was in the middle of a (insert really terrible weather condition here).

But these fans didn't leave in the 16th, 17th, or 18th inning after it had become the longest playoff game in history. Most left by the 12th. The 12th!!!! That's just 3 extra innings in a tied playoff game their team desperately needed to win. They deserve all the crap they are getting. They certainly don't deserve a team as good as the Nats.

One more thing. Thom Loverro is a douchebag. His response to folks around the nation pointing out how pathetic it was for Nats fans leaving the game in the 12th? He brings up a 2012 August mid-week game where the Orioles only drew 12,000 for some reason. I don't know why this guy has such an inferiority complex with the Orioles but he bashes them all the time. This is why I hate the Nats. Because of all the smug media members around DC who had their tickets punched for a World Series in DC and their noses in the air regarding the Birds. They can't just be happy for both cities and their fans. Karma's a ***** Thom! I'm going to so love it when the Orioles are in the ALCS while the Nat fans are sitting at home (where they apparently would rather be anyway).

But these fans didn't leave in the 16th, 17th, or 18th inning after it had become the longest playoff game in history. Most left by the 12th. The 12th!!!! That's just 3 extra innings in a tied playoff game their team desperately needed to win. They deserve all the crap they are getting. They certainly don't deserve a team as good as the Nats.

One more thing. Thom Loverro is a douchebag. His response to folks around the nation pointing out how pathetic it was for Nats fans leaving the game in the 12th? He brings up a 2012 August mid-week game where the Orioles only drew 12,000 for some reason. I don't know why this guy has such an inferiority complex with the Orioles but he bashes them all the time. This is why I hate the Nats. Because of all the smug media members around DC who had their tickets punched for a World Series in DC and their noses in the air regarding the Birds. They can't just be happy for both cities and their fans. Karma's a ***** Thom! I'm going to so love it when the Orioles are in the ALCS while the Nat fans are sitting at home (where they apparently would rather be anyway).

Great post. Anytime I read something negative about the Nationals, there's always someone bringing up the Orioles. Just look at their message board. People think that Baltimore fans have an inferiority complex with DC but it's not true at all. It's the other way around.

While this is true and completely understandable that you left, don't you agree that you were in the very small minority? Camden Yards was packed to the end of both of those ALDS games. The Nats stadium started emptying out in the 11th/12th inning and it was half full for a majority of extra innings. I just find it hard to believe that 50% of Nats fans were in a similar situation that you were in, when obviously 99% of O's fans were not in that situation.

99% of O's fans, on that Sunday night in 2012, waited through a 2.5 hour rain delay and stayed to the bitter end of a loss. Nats fans, on a Saturday night of a tense extra inning game exited in huge numbers. It wasn't even that late. The game was over at like 11:45.

While this is true and completely understandable that you left, don't you agree that you were in the very small minority? Camden Yards was packed to the end of both of those ALDS games. The Nats stadium started emptying out in the 11th/12th inning and it was half full for a majority of extra innings. I just find it hard to believe that 50% of Nats fans were in a similar situation that you were in, when obviously 99% of O's fans were not in that situation.

99% of O's fans, on that Sunday night in 2012, waited through a 2.5 hour rain delay and stayed to the bitter end of a loss. Nats fans, on a Saturday night of a tense extra inning game exited in huge numbers. It wasn't even that late. The game was over at like 11:45.

I was at Game 1 in 2012. Not only was it a 2.5 hour delay but it was cold AND drizzling for a good part of the game. Nobody left the stadium. That place was packed and loud when the rain delay ended. I read someone make an excuse somewhere that most people were wearing summer clothes and that's the reason so many people left. Do Nats fans not have access to weather forecasts? Why wear a t shirt and shorts when you know ahead of time that temps are going to get down to the high 40s?

I read that. I think the mocking is fair game especially since Nats fans insisted Dc deserves a team and I was/still am in agreement with that but at the same time, don't invite yourself for mocking when your slogan is Natiude and many your fans do the exit before a playoff game ends.
Are there folks who left early wishing they had stayed for more sadness? Not likely. But laugh away, superior Internet people.

I, for one, am laughing at our Overlords.

The Orioles were losing by three runs. And no one left. Even to beat the Friday traffic.

All I'm saying is don't criticize a man (or maybe a fanbase) until you've walked a mile in his shoes. Because then when you criticize him you'll be a mile away. And you'll have his shoes.

It was upper 40s. I live in Florida and even I wouldn't consider that too cold to sit through to watch your favorite sports team play in the postseason.

No need to excuse literal fair weather fandom.

Archived