Do we trade a starter?

ChuckS

I'd keep Gonzo. There is a lot of value on his contract.

Norris I'd probably try to trade. The O's don't/shouldn't need to pay between 7.5 and 8 million dollars for a starter who only gives them a quality start about 40% of the time. That just doesn't seem like enough bang for our back with our payroll.

Ubaldo I'd try to swap bad contracts for' date=' but I don't know what teams are a fit? Maybe Ubaldo for Swisher?[/quote']

Maybe it could be a bad contract swap, but I doubt he goes back to Cleveland. And where do we play Swisher?

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If we trade a SP it probably would be Norris. The question is what do we need to get back for him? A RP to replace Miller? A DH bat to go with Pearce to replace Cruz? An OF to replace Nick if we let him walk?

I'd like to build depth in the minors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Admiringly, I don't know too much about the Cubs, but outside of Arrieta and Hendricks, does anyone else have a lock on the rotation? They are a team that can increase payroll, and if they want to win, have to remove Jackson from the rotation.

The Angels are a good example too.

They are likely to land one of the TOR starters on the FA market. Slot Arrieta and Hendricks behind them. Wada made a good impression and they could save the 5th slot for a reclamation project, like Turner who is already on the roster, or they could keep trotting out Jackson tho I wouldn't be surprised if he was released or just kept as mop up.

I'd like to build depth in the minors.

Yes. I would love to get a SS prospect in our system. We have JJ as a bridge but we better get someone in the pipeline soon. If the plan is to move Manny, then we need a #B in the system. Also some LHP arms who can be LOOGY options. I would love to get rid of Matusz and I am afraid we will not be able to afford Miller. That is going to be an immediate need for us.

They are likely to land one of the TOR starters on the FA market. Slot Arrieta and Hendricks behind them. Wada made a good impression and they could save the 5th slot for a reclamation project, like Turner who is already on the roster, or they could keep trotting out Jackson tho I wouldn't be surprised if he was released or just kept as mop up.

With the Red Sox, Yankees, and Angels in the starting pitching market, it would be wise to have a plan B.

The Cubs are just an example of a team off the top of my head because they have payroll bandwidth.

There may be a handful of teams that wouldn't mind taking on his salary.

Again, trade only if the return is outstanding. Worst case scenario, you have great rotation depth.

Lot's of different ways to go on this. Here's the order from most likely to least likely, IMO.

1. Keep all 6 this winter until ST and make sure everyones healthy.

2. If we have 6 healthy starters this spring, Norris is the most likely to be traded based on the fact that he and Chen are both in their walk years and Chen is the only LHP.

3. Move Miguel Gonzalez to the bullpen as he seems to be the least durable of the starters and the best fit (fastball location, split finger, bullpen experience) for the bullpen. He and his agent will complain the least.

4. Find a trade partner for Jimenez.

I recall you disagreeing on this before, but another option is to converting Norris as the closer and moving Britton into Miller's role.

This isn't a knock on Britton, but IMO, an optimization in resources.

I know it's an unpopular idea but I'd leave Gausman in the bullpen with Britton setting up for Miller. Throw Bundy out there around mid to late season and I think we may have a bullpen that match up with the K.C's and Seattle's of the world. Gausman should eventually be a front-line starter but for a team this close I think he can make more of an impact in the bullpen. And, let's face it, room has to be made for Jiminez in the rotation anyway. They can't trade him and he's not going to sit for $13 million or whatever it is.

I recall you disagreeing on this before, but another option is to converting Norris as the closer and moving Britton into Miller's role.

This isn't a knock on Britton, but IMO, an optimization in resources.

It wasn't a good option this year and would be worse next year. He will be earning more money through arbitration and is a free agent. Not exactly the opportune time to convert a player for either side.

It wasn't a good option this year and would be worse next year. He will be earning more money through arbitration and is a free agent. Not exactly the opportune time to convert a player for either side.

:agree: Norris would have to ask for the closers role before anything like this would happen.

I'm not sure if I follow. This would be if they couldn't get fair value for a starter and Miller leaves. You'd pay Norris and Britton the same amount regardless of what their roles are. Britton would likely make less in 2016 if he spends 2015 as a non closer. If you keep Britton as closer, you'd want to have a lefty set up guy. But that's an unknown. With the guys we currently have, a bullpen of Norris, O'Day, Britton, Hunter, Brach, Webb, and McFarland is not a bad option, IMO.

Call me crazy, but I would consider starting Gausman in the pen for next season. I'm going to assume that Miller moves on, and there will be a solid hole in that 7th/8th inning slot of tie/1 run games.

The 70 innings available there, given the leverage, are almost as valuable as 200 in the rotation once factoring in the replacement cost that Jiminez could bounce back or an average year of Gonzalez.

Plus, there will always be injuries and/or poor play that open up rotation slots at some point in the season to slide him in if needed. If Bundy or even Harvey suddenly show themselves ready, then you can re-evaluate.

So, I'd go:

Tillman

Norris

Chen

Jiminez (hope for some regression to league average vs. total trainwreck)

Gonzales

With:

Gausman

Hunter

O'Day

Matusz (or LH replacement)

Britton

That staff lines up okay with this past season's without any significant increase in expenditure (which can then be used on Cruz or an upgrade elsewhere).

Archived